1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Season Ticket Holders aye am talkin to you!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16714809

1 minute ago - by Dan McLellan - Spanos sends season ticket holders a video message
    Dean Spanos, the team owner and president, sent a video message to season ticket holders on Tuesday evening. “Today, I announced A.J. Smith and Norv Turner will return as general manager and head coach,” Spanos said. “I would like to let all of you, the fans, know I am 100 percent committed in doing whatever it takes to help these two individuals get us back to the playoffs and ultimately a Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    There you have it. Problem solved no worries... :tup:

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    As long as he's also 100% committed to getting us a stadium...

4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    So were they 100% committed the last 2 years? But this year is going to be "different"...

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and 10,000 Season Ticket renewal forms were used as tiolet paper, the remaining ones were used to start the evening fire. And in other sports news Brett Favre plans a comeback to play in the NFL next season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    The only way to get Deano's attention is to hit him in the pocket book. I refuse to buy any Charger gear or attend any home game this year. I will still root for my Bolts but will not contribute monetarily!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    its going to be a lot different next season. Every game will be a blackout, the other teams fans will outnumber Charger fans 2-1. There will be guys out on Friars road with signs, "Ill pay you $10.00 to take my tickets". The cost to park will go up and the price of a beer will go to $10.00.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And aren't you glad you won't have to be there to witness all of that misery?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm committed 100% but I'm keeping two individuals that have driven this team from a top flight organization to mediocrity.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Ant...we've been over this: A hostage situation isn't going to help anyone. It's over. It'll all work out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    No, I wish I was there, except we kept Norv. I loved going to the tailgate's with all the camaraderie in the parking lot. I will miss the anticipation of kickoff when its 2 hours prior till. I will miss the 500 different smells of barbeques going with the 1,000 different songs playing. Keeping your head on a swivel as you walked because you did not want to get hit by a football. The joy of loading up the car at 7:30 in the morning.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dude, how many years of misery do you think other fans for other clubs have gone through but still stick it out for just those things that you mentioned?

I wouldn't begin to suggest what you should or shouldn't do with your money or how you should feel as a fan. I just think that, as a guy that I KNOW is a faithful supporter, you might want to take a deep breath & wait a bit before you take a stance you'll regret.

Just a thought because I know you & respect you, man.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    This is good...'cause I've never been able to find that Oprah channel... :)

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wouldn't give my tickets up just yet. I remember back in 94, I called the Charger's and read them the riot act and demanding my money back. They invited me down to the stadium, lunched me and upgraded my seats at no extra charge just to be patient with the team. We all know what happened after that 0-4 start, now, Deans, AJ's and Norv's backs are up against the wall. There is nowhere else to turn and no more excuses will be tolerated, it's put up or GTFO.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I need to do that then lol

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

I have given this a very long and hard thought.

IMO it looks like Spanos is working his way up to LA. He has not given a commitment to play in San Diego after this season. Keeping Norv and AJ makes no sense, Spanos has become the laughing stock of all the owners in the NFL, He knows that we as fans are fed up. But now all he as to do respond that he cannot get any support now in San Diego to make a move. So what if the NFL charges a 500 Million dollar fine, first I am positive a law suit would be filed, and secondly they operate at a loss for a couple of years, then they would be making money hand over fist every year after that. I have witnessed over 350 Charger games, either at home, on the road, preseason, regular and post season. I have been at every home playoff game played inside San Diego/Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Spanos fired a Coach with a 14 and 2 record and now will keep a coach with an 8 and 8 record. That shows me Spanos does not want to win. San Diego will remain the "Best team to never win a Super Bowl". I am getting ready to retire here, as this will be my last year of working. On January 4th 2013 with 38 and 1/2 years of service I will retire from the Civil Service. I could probably afford season tickets on a fixed income, but I would rather enjoy the final years without any hold backs. if I want to go up by Bishop and do some Fly Fishing and get some pictures in the fall time, I dont want to have to worry about a home game.

I will remain a San Diego Charger fan, I will not give Spanos another penny. I have several Charger Jackets, About 20 Charger Jerseys, maybe 35 shirts. Hats maybe 30. A Flag, and all the other assorted Glasses, blankets, Shot Glasses and Coffee Cups. But I will not buy anything else now with an NFL logo on it. I will not support them with money anymore.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I do not want an upgrade, I loved those seats. I was able to get some great Photographs, and watch the entire game.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I didn't want an upgrade, I just wanted my money back. The rest of it was on them, I do believe they really care it's just not as easy to win a Lombardi as the Stiller's make it out to be.

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Hey, I don't really know you, dude. And I happen to interpret most of this stuff pretty differently than you do.
    That said, I really appreciate your heartfelt post. And empathize with the decades of pulling for the team in bolts.
    Hell, maybe someday we'll even swap some pics (you may've seen my 'Turner, LT, & Sproles' pic here).

I'm optimistic about 2012...if we can get some defensive playmakers. And have a little better luck re. injuries.
    Anyway, I sure don't wanna get a rep for 'nice' posts, so I'll end with a cheap joke:
    Which is it? Did you actually work for 38 and 1/2 years...OR...were you in Civil Service? :)

• Like Like x 2
  21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Civil Service.

• Like Like x 1
  22. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Damn all that is NOT good, lol. Main reason I am keeping my tickets is because I want to be able to watch the team, lol. Otherwise I will only be able to watch half the season. (away games)

23. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I am, to say the least, NOT happy about Norv staying. I'd have fired him way back in the middle of the season if I were calling the shots. But then, I can't help thinking about my parents, who were Chargers season-ticket holders for almost 20 years, and my anger softens a bit. Mother bought the first pair as a Christmas gift to Dad way back in 1969, and they stuck it out until Mother passed in '89, even through the Harland Svare years when the fans poured beer all over the coaches and players at the end of the game to show their disapproval of the team's performance. My family was also there when Air Coryell reigned supreme......when Billy Joe Tolliver kicked the same FG three times to win a preseason game despite getting pushed back twice by penalties.......when Gary Anderson somersaulted his way into the end zone........when the names of Winslow and Chandler and Fouts commanded respect throughout the league no matter who you rooted for.

We've been through WAY uglier times than this. And I'm sure, if my folks were still here, they'd be sighing, cussing, and b!tching about missing the playoffs........but you can bet your ***, your cowboy hat and your house cat that they'd be ponying up the cash for another set of season tickets. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    LOL Phew, that's a relief.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Okay...I remember all of that stuff...EXCEPT...

Why the Hell was Billy Joe Tolliver kicking field goals??

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I fully understand. Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

27. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I don't remember exactly---think our kicker pulled a hamstring or something. Evidently Billie Joe had done some kicking in college, thus he was elected to attempt the field goal. My hubby and I had been on our way out to the bus and stopped in the end zone stands to watch this improbable scoring attempt. Tolliver kicked the winning FG, the crowd went ape$#!+, then it was called back and penalty assessed because he had sticky tape on his shoe. Loud booing ensued. Sticky tape was removed. He kicked the three-pointer again. I think this one was called back because somebody ELSE complained that he still had tape on his ankle. More and louder booing......another five-yard penalty was added. So Billie Joe stripped off the entire shoe and leg wrappings, made the third and final FG attempt barefooted......and drilled it straight through the heart of "them righteous uprights". It was a sight I'll never forget.:barefoot:

28. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    As one of us remote folks that has actually had the pleasure of tailgating with you (Monday night game with the Jets in 08), I understand your position and respect it. And I get that LA is a four-letter word for folks in San Diego, I somewhat get that with family in the area and they all hate LA.

With the above said, I would pause for a moment to really consider whether giving up on all of the fun memories yet to occur is really worth it? You, along with most of us here, have poured a lot of money and emotion into this team over the last several years/decades. And we've all been exasperated at times, especially recently. But why give up now? The moving trucks haven't shown up yet, and if enough folks bail it will only give Spanos more ammo to move. I guess there is no perfect solution here...bail and they move, stay and it could be a tacit endorsement of the status quo. Take it for what it's worth.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement, in any event. :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Someone should start a list of all the people claiming they aren't buying season tickets, just so we can later see how many people follow through with it. I'm not sh_tting on anyone's right to whatever they feel like they ned to do, but I have a feeling most of those people will ultimately pony up.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Why start a list. Some will cancel, some will cool down and change their minds. Some might be invigorated by the draft or a free agent pick up (I couldnt keep a straight face with that one)...

Who knows. In the end it is a personal choice the ticket holder in question has to decide for themselves...

Might make mooching that more difficult next season though... :(