1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Seau couldn't sleep... even while taking Ambien

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 31, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    Seau had difficulty sleeping, even while taking Ambien
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 1, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT

Getty Images

The folks at USA Today have compiled a thorough, fascinating, and ultimately heartbreaking look at the final days of linebacker Junior Seau, who committed suicide on May 2.
    We’ll defer to the full article for all details. But here’s what jumped off the screen.
    Seau has trouble sleeping for years. He used Ambien, which may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in patients with depression. Also, the drug information warns against drinking, which per USA Today Seau did, and advises against taking the medication if the patient can’t get a full night’s sleep.
    Seau told a friend that he repeatedly woke up at 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep, even while taking Ambien.
    Only three days before his death, Seau showed up for a memorial service at the gym where he worked out. Another member had died of cancer, and Seau reportedly “delivered a eulogy with an uplifting message about loving life and making a difference.”
    There are many more details, and the full article is worthy of a careful reading, or two. While speculation persists that Seau’s death can be tied to 20 years of playing linebacker at the NFL level, USA Today reports that his family has still not made any “public decision” about whether Seau’s brain will be donated for research into whether he suffered from Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Just finished reading the USA Today story before logging on here. Sleep issues suck. I know - I have sleep apnea. It's better since using a CPAP device but I still have trouble sleeping at times. It's definitely no joke what the deprivation can do to you.
  3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Sad story for sure drugs can cause suicide , I had a friend who used chantrix (SP) to quit smoking and wound up killing himself.:(
  4. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Nov 13, 2011
    I just did a big report on Ambien and trying to lobby for its recall. The staggering results of suicide and murder are HUGE. From my report, I am pretty confident that JR had Ambien in his system. JR's suicide was NOT from ordinary mean but the use of a mind altering drug to treat anxiety. How this drug ever got cleared by the FDA and is still being sold by 'drug dealer' doctors is beyond me.
  5. onetriphudson

onetriphudson BoltTalker

Aug 22, 2008
    Leaving the NFL, along with all the meaning it puts into your life, would probably undue anyone. Alcohol and sleep medication are bad combinations, but since he wasn't one to openly share his problems, who could have helped? It's not the lack of sleep that will kill you, it's wanting peace of mind and feeling helpless that things will only get worse. Even the most courageous of men could be torn down after weeks and months of insomnia. God bless you Junior, you will be missed.
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Lack of sleep WILL kill you - in the form of sleep disorders.

Remember Reggie White? Died of complications from sleep apnea.