1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Seau Graduates Again and Returns For His PhD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by When Lightning Strikes, Dec 5, 2008.

1. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-seau&prov=ap&type=lgns

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)—Junior Seau is going from the surf to the turf—again.

Seau signed with the New England Patriots on Friday, coming out of retirement for the second time to help bolster his former team’s injury-depleted defense.

“What it took was a coach that you respect made a call, come out and help guys that you have a lot of love for,” Seau said. “Obviously, there’s a lot of history here with us and it wasn’t a hard decision. You just care for the guys in this locker room and you care for the coach and organization and that’s the only reason I’m here.”

The 39-year-old linebacker takes the roster spot of Adalius Thomas, who was placed on injured reserve and will miss the rest of the season after breaking his left forearm Nov. 9 against Buffalo. The Patriots, 7-5 but with a shot at the AFC East title or a wild-card playoff berth, also are without injured linebackers Eric Alexander and Pierre Woods.

Seau rejoined New England two days after linebacker Rosevelt Colvin also came back to the team. Neither has played this season. Colvin, a nine-year veteran, spent five seasons with the Patriots before being released in February. He signed with the Houston Texans, but was released in August.

Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowl player and avid surfer, will suit up Sunday when the Patriots visit Seattle.

“He went from the surfboard back to the football field,” Belichick said Friday. “He can probably make that transition better than any player that’s ever played.”

Seau retired after last season following two years with the Patriots, who had lured him out of a brief retirement in August 2006. He had 76 tackles, 3 1/2 sacks and a career-high three interceptions in 19 games last season.

He also played 13 seasons for the San Diego Chargers and three with the Miami Dolphins.

Seau was living in San Diego, spending time with his wife and family, when Belichick called Wednesday. Seau visited Foxborough on Thursday, attended a team walkthrough and was signed.

“I have no time to get all drama, I just don’t. I don’t want to go ‘Oprah’ on you,” Seau said. “It is what it is. I was cutting up oranges for a cooler for (daughter) Cindy Seau and now I’m here putting on cleats. That’s life. You have to make adjustments and make them quick.”

Belichick said he always has had a deep appreciation of Seau’s skill and dedication.

“He’s ready to play football,” Belichick said. “He’s a football player. You look football player up in the dictionary, Junior Seau, Troy Brown, those are the guys. They just define it in every sense of the word.”

2. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Damn, Why didn't we think about that?

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If he's good enough for the Pats, why isn't he good enough for us? Oh yeah because we don't need veteran leadership.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly Ray, I was thinking the SAME thing. Seau would have been a WAY better pick than that damn Derek Smith! He would have fired up the defense AND the community. I still have some Seau jerseys too and have always been a big fan of 55. I bet he was waiting for a call from AJ, but the Bellicheat beat him to it. THAT would have fired most of us up around here! Oh well.......:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Seau was a Charger for most of his life. He is 39 years now
    he isn't in knowledge of the defense system now.
    Let him play some games for the Pats, Hope they don't make
    the playoffs and remember him as a great Charger.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He goes down as a Charger for sure, no question. But yeah we could've used his veteran leadership last two years, wouldve been a heck of a lot better then freakin WIlhelm or Dobbins

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    "I would just like to say congratulations to the San Diego Chargers on making it this far." -Seau accepting Lamar Hunt Trophy on behalf of the New England Patriots

A class act all the way...godspeed Junior.

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    eh...

Good for Junior, but I'm not bent out of shape over not having him here. :icon_shrug:

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    For the people saying that we should have picked him up first, I want to agree with you but I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't have agreed to it. He specifically said that he agreed to it because a coach he respects and admires called him up and asked him to play. I'm not sure whether he even knows Norv.

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I don't think he would have come here because of the way he was done!

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I'd take Seau for any of those no name scrubs we got in MLB... At least there would be voice of confidence out there, since Norv isnt one... have you heard this guy, I fall asleep listening to him. Btw, anyone else reach "Acceptance" with Norv returning next year, even if we lose the next 3 games, you know AJ is stubborn..... :icon_tease:

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    At this point I'm not sure I want to know Norv either!!! :lol:

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    disagree -- wilhelm is the ***** in the chain, dobbins actually makes tackles.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wouldn't want Mr. off sides and I'll change the called play if I want too Seau. I for one was happy to see him go, Rodney was a different story though.

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Junior's spirit and wisdom are locker room plusses for the Patriots.

Rodney will be a first round HOFER.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Saw Junior on the sidelines and he's lookin "in shape" as always. His first play of the game served to demonstrate the difference between "in shape," and "game shape." They picked on him from the start and got 7 out if it.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic from the sideline.:yes:

[​IMG]

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Yeah, he got smoked by a rookie TE on that play. But, in the end, we all found out why the Seahawks are the way they are this season.

18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

I know, thank god, or it would have been a L-O-N-G flight home last night.

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Pats can win out the rest of the season and still be sitting home for the playoffs...they need some real help from other teams...especially the Jets and the Dolphins losing.

The only tough game the three teams have in the final three of the season is the Patriots-Cardinals game.

20. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Looks like Wilfork is out for the rest of the season and so is Bruschi. Not helping matters any, if you ask me. You guys thought Belichick needed to earn his money when Brady went down? How's he done without SEVERAL of our impact players? He's proven that he is a very good coach with a very tight system.

It'll be a tough road from here on, and, like you said, we need some help.......