1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seau to retire a Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    "Carlsbad Bolts Fan" just got word from Junior that he will sign a 1 day contract with the Bolts and retire a Charger. Check out his article @ http://bolttalk.com/?p=2444.

Thanks CBF for the early scoop! :tup:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    55 cent contract and thank you for the memories.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It appears Bolttalk.com is the first site to break this story. :icon_banana:

Congratulations !!! :tup:

Other sites were too worried about saying anything it appears.

Props to you guys for getting it out first with your crack staff. :tup:

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hey Carlsbad -

Do you have a quote from Seau on this?

I'm not discounting the story, just like to know specifically what he said.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    ............................Just in case anyone is curious....

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    He said this while talking with some fellow Charger fans. He was asked what he was going to do be doing next and in the course of that conversation, he said that he'd sign on so he can retire as a Charger. Not really much more to it than that.

I'm sure any one of the networks will pick him up as an analyst. Just my gut feeling, as no one asked him specifically about that. But he seems like a natural for that job. :cool2:

• Like Like x 2
  7. apollo11

apollo11 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Heck yeah, will always be remembered as a SAN DIEGO CHARGER and is good news. I feel god.:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Great news about Seau...:yes:

Thanks for the breaking news Ray and Carlsbad. :tup:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    first meeting AJ Smith then breaking the Seau story
    Man alive Ray's on a roll

THanks for hte memories Seau, your the first charger i really remember watching

• Like Like x 1
  10. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    All the credit goes to our buddy Carlsbad. It's all us dedicated Charger fans that makes Bolt Talk tick. :thumbup:

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When A.J "touched" you this past week or so ... karma.

You were touched by GOD.

[​IMG]

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the memories during some VERY lean years Junior. :tup:

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Are they going to give him a little honor ceremony at the home opener versus Tennessee?

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think the Home Opener would be appropriate timing (HalfTime).

That is savvy marketing.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Just remember where you heard it FIRST !!!! :yes:

16. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I really hope this is happens! Junior is still "Mr. Charger" to me, and he deserves to retire, with Fanfare, a San Diego Charger.

That would go a long way to heal the wounds of him getting cut. I think the Chargers had to do it, but it sucked.

Come on, AJ. Give the fans what they want!

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642

Very much so
    :tup:

Junior deserves to go out in style, in his hometown in front of the people that cheered him on for well over a decade.
    And if not then then maybe the game that's the game they bring out the hall of famers?

18. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Oh, one home game I'd like to get to... I think SDC will be there too along with the forum regulars :yes:

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    FYI - I don't know if anyone saw this, but http://www.footballhuddles.com/ picked up our story about Seau retiring a Charger. It's at the bottom of the front page.

[​IMG]

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Nice! BT is getting recognized!

:D

21. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +744
    That's awesome! Great find Thumper! :tup:

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,642
    the talks with the Raiders have not been heard from past that one article so I don't think he will don silver and black

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, if he did, he'd lose all credibility and "love" in San Diego.

24. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    I did enjoy seeing him play for us the past couple of years.

25. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    More on the story:

NFL Great Touts Value of Hard Work

Junior Seau also tells a Kitsap County audience that he probably will officially retire soon.

By Jeff Graham, For the Kitsap Sun
    July 9, 2006 Bremerton

"To be able to do great things in life, you have to work."

Those words, spoken by NFL linebacker Junior Seau, resonated in the minds of roughly 100 people who gathered for a fund-raising luncheon Saturday afternoon at the Harborside Conference Center in Bremerton.

Players and coaches from six area high schools — Bremerton, North Kitsap, Central Kitsap, South Kitsap, Olympic and Klahowya — attended the three-hour event organized by Russ Robison, president of Robison Plumbing in Bremerton and a regular contributor to the Junior Seau Foundation.

Seau served as Saturday’s featured speaker. The 16-year NFL veteran did not disappoint.

Taking to the podium following passionate speeches by Bremerton Mayor Cary Bozeman and former Washington State University director of medicine Mark Smaha, Seau challenged the young players in attendance to strive to reach their goals.

"I have failed more than I’ve succeeded in my life," said Seau, who played 13 seasons with the San Diego Chargers from 1990-2002 and three seasons with the Miami Dolphins from 2003-05. "The difference is I have never quit."

Seau did have his opportunity.

Seau said he was a backup at the University of Southern California all the way through his senior year, until injuries forced him into the Trojans’ starting lineup. He finished the 1989 season with 19 sacks, earning All-American status despite starting just five games.

The next June, the Chargers picked Seau in the first round of the 1990 NFL Draft.

Sixteen years, 12 Pro Bowl appearances and 1,566 tackles later, Seau credits hard work for prolonging his career.

"If you don’t work, you are going to fail," he said.

After his address, Seau fielded several questions from the audience on subjects ranging from Terrell Owens to Ryan Leaf to life after football.

Regarding the latter, Seau said he plans to hold a press conference within the next two weeks announcing his likely retirement. With the end of his career on the field drawing near, Seau sounded eager to continue his efforts in charity.
    "I’m blessed to be where I am," Seau said. "I’ve got a great opportunity to do some great things because of the game of football."

Bremerton High football coach Nate Gillam, who joined five of his players at the luncheon, said he was inspired by Seau’s story.

"He’s had to work for everything he’s had and that’s awesome," Gillam said. "He’s a guy who, physically, may not be the prototypical NFL guy, but he got to where he is and played for 16 years in the NFL because he worked his butt off."

• Like Like x 3
  26. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    More and more, it looks like he's retiring instead of trying one last gasp at glory.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not to be a kill joy but Junior Seau had a lot of stuff swept under the rug. Stories were stifled in the papers about his personal life.

The media helped protect his darling image.

I do not respect Junior.

Google the stories about his paternity suits.

There is more but I will not post it out of respect. Come see me at a tailgater if you want to hear the rest. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    NFL | Seau about to retire
    Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:35:43 -0700

Jeff Graham, writing for the Kitsap Sun, reports free agent LB Junior Seau (Dolphins) said he plans to hold a press conference within the next two weeks announcing his likely retirement. With the end of his career on the field drawing near, Seau sounded eager to continue his efforts in charity. "I'm blessed to be where I am," Seau said. "I've got a great opportunity to do some great things because of the game of football."

29. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

A few years back I heard through the grapevine that he signed over ownership of his "Seau's" restaurant to his wife because of an alleged infidelity. Settlement for not divorcing him.

Something like Kobe buying his wife that $4 million ring for his indiscretions.

Also that, even when he moved to Miami to play for the Dolphins, his wife and kids stayed in San Diego.