1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Second Preseason game thoughts....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Harris ain't ready, watched him closely, is a much better run blocker than pass protector right now. Gaither u had better get back real soon.

Did not like seeing Takeo being made look real slow and old, a bit like Jammer was last year. Mouton had a couple of whiffs too so he ain't quite ready to unseat him.

Wright obviously had a highlight game but again we are seeing guys catch balls and then get hit, we need to meet the player at the same time the ball gets there. Who was that Welker like guy Beasely? open all night long against our 2s and 3s. One of the first cuts will be Presley.

Pass rush sucked in the first quarter even if we were ben n jerrys for most of it ie. vanilla. Whitehurst looked good but so what, hopefully he will never see the field.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Concerns:
    Rivers INT woes continuing
    Reason to have faith: Rivers is getting comfortable with new recievers and a make shift line.

Injuries
    Reason to have faith: The Chargers under Norv have been able to plug holes well, and we should get Mathews bak sooner, VB a bit laters. Wildcard is Gaither, the big boi needs to get healthy now.

OL Consistency
    Reason to have faith: the koolaid picture is empty here, help me out.

Elations:
    INGRAM!
    This one trick pony is da MAN! ;) I jokingly told blew one day that Ingram was a OTP, all he could do is get in the backfield and disrupt things. He has the speed to to do a lot of things, I see him as an early season starter.

New Faces
    New players all over are giving the team a new dynamic. RB hasnt looked great but I can see how the new faces in the receiving corps are going to pay dividends. The people on the D are helping to make impact.

It is preseason so I dont get too up or too down, but I do want to see the OL and INTs hedge more towards the good side of the ledger in the next two games.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Nick Canepa's thoughts........

Here’s what you missed.

First Quarter
    Nothing. The Chargers had the ball for about 30 seconds. The Cowboys moved it mostly on short stuff but kept screwing up with illegal men downfield, probably because quarterback Tony Romo had about 20 seconds to throw. The Chargers had no — zero — pass rush, but they basically were running a vanilla base with a four-man rush.

Something I’m sure coach Norv Turner loved came on San Diego’s second offensive play. Quarterback Philip Rivers went back to pass and Dallas linebacker Victor Butler ran right around rookie left tackle Mike Harris and sacked Philip. If this team doesn’t get Jared Gaither back soon, Rivers may look like a pinata by Week 3. A bad 15 minutes.

Second Quarter
    Chargers got their third first down with 6:30 to play. That came after a very long Rivers pass intended for open wideout Robert Meachem was very short — and intercepted by beaten Cowboys corner Brandon Carr. Then the Chargers started a nice drive, but a Rivers pass to Vincent Brown (that he should have caught) was tipped several times and finally picked by Carr. Rivers is not having a mighty August. Three of his first 20 passes in two games were picked. Only one hit the ground.

The Cowboys meanwhile replaced Romo with Kyle Orton, who tossed a 35-yard pass to Kevin Ogletree to the Chargers’ 5 that should have been knocked down by either safety Eric Weddle or corner Quentin Jammer, probably both. The Cowboys scored a few plays later. 10-0. Shaun Phillips did knock down a pass. Too bad Dallas’ Chris Jones ran a successful fake punt on the next play.
    How rude of Cowboys coach Jason Garrett to run a fake punt in an exhibition. Served him right when linebacker Donald Butler made a wonderful play to intercept Orton right after that.

Third Quarter
    The good: Charlie Whitehurst came on for Rivers and was near perfect leading the team on a 10-play drive that culminated in a pristine 18-yard touchdown pass to Brown. The bad: Vincent broke his left ankle on the play.

“I think we’re equipped to handle what comes our way,” Turner would later say.

So let’s stop right there. The Chargers lost starting tailback Ryan Mathews with a broken collarbone last week and now their most promising young receiver goes down. What, exactly, are these things good for? Fake punts?

Need we get to the fourth quarter? What else would you like to know?

Linebacker Melvin Ingram, San Diego’s first-round draft choice, continues to impress. He had a sack. Defensive lineman Kendall Reyes, drafted No. 2, looks like a player.

Sophomore corner Shareece Wright, indisputably the player of the game, can break on the ball (refreshing). He returned a tipped ball 73 yards to the Dallas 2. Jackie Battle ran it in to give the Chargers what seemed to be an insurmountable 14-13 lead with 12:22 remaining in regulation play. Wright also sacked Cowboys QB Stephen McGee, forcing a fumble with 5:42 left that was recovered by linebacker Darryl Gamble.

There is just so little rhythm to some of these games you wonder how coaches can take anything from them.

I, for one, can’t tell you what the Chargers are going to be doing defensively. Their first-team defense didn’t look good, but who’s to say it wasn’t by design? I do know this isn’t a Norv Turner offense. Better hope not, because if this is it, it’s going to stink.

It appears as though special teams again has improved — especially in the punt return game. Eddie Royal, the projected returner, has yet to play a down, but Michael Spurlock can do the work

Whitehurst threw some nice passes, especially the touchdown to Brown and a 38-yard pass to Mike Willie, who made an athletic run after the catch for a score with 9:27 to play. With the Chargers up 21-13, the great fear was Dallas would score again, go for two, make it, and send the affair into overtime. But Wright’s sack and forced fumble ended that potential nightmare because Jacob Hester scored from a yard out with 3:02 left to freeze it.

The Chargers and Cowboys will practice here Monday and Tuesday. That will make three practices in four days. Ambulances standing by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504

Sorry, don't agree with you on Presley. He is an amazing athlete. Super raw, came from a small school where he played liek 5 different positions. Needs a ton of work and training, but the kids is fast, strong, and very versatile. Almost sure he makes the PS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Gonna be honest Presley seems like a PS guy to me, he's just not that quick, this is the 2nd week in a row where he really got exposed by a smaller WR. Last week he darn near gave up a 70 yard TD pass if only Harrell had thrown a better ball, this week he gets schooled by white guy who's name I can't remember.

6. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Good things...

Vincent Brown held on to a catch all the way to the ground while having his ankle crushed. The rest of our backs and receivers need to learn from this guy. I guarantee you I would have been crying and would have dropped the ball the second the guy landed on it.

Clipboard jesus looked good against the 2's and 3's. Probably silenced the "Let's keep Jarret Lee" crowd. Lee looks like a capable #3 which means a PS member for us. Whitehurst looked smart in the pocket. He threw the ball strongly. Happy with him as the 2 so far. Guy just holds a clipboard with style.

Michael Spurlock quietly had himself a great game. He is no VB but he will help fill the void while VB heals. Spurlock has made this team.

Shareece Wright is still not quite ready to take Jammer's job but I see the future in him. Really athletic. Has to work on his zone coverage more, but man-on-man he may be the best we have right now.

Ming the Merciless (aka Super Melvin) still looks like he is learning his place in this defense, but man when they set him loose, no defender on this team and few in the league are anywhere near as fast as he is to the QB.

Kendall Reyes continues to play his positon well, be in the right spot, and get pressure from the line. Dude will take Vaughn's starting position before the end of the year. Still reminds me of a bigger Jevon Kearse.

With Bigby, Lynch, Taylor, and Stuckey behind Weddle, we have more talent at Safety then we have had in years.

Bad Things...

O-Line is getting very little push on run plays. Our backs are running sideways way too much. Better to run a dive for 2 or 3, then the stretch and lose 1 or 2 which happened like 4 times yesterday.

Pass blocking is hit or miss, we need Gaither back because Harris is going to need help as long as he is there.

Losing VB is such a huge loss. Such a playmaker. Thanks god we signed so many receivers

Rivers needs to get on the same page as Meacham. The pick was thrown short (Meacham should have played a little defense on it) off of Rivers back foot. Needs to step into those passes and realize that Mecham is just faster than VJ is and adjust accordingly. VB caused the second interception so no blame to Rivers on that one.

I'm hoping they were just totally vanilla because the schemes in use on defense and the offensive playcalling was so plain that I could have schemed against it and won.

7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    The Good
    Loved seeing Shareece step up with a big game.. super aggressive corner who looks to hit and attack the ball in the air hopefully he'll have a role on defense this year.

Melvin Ingram looks as advertised.

Michael Spurlock has looked very good so far this preseason.. quick explosive and pretty yoaked up for a wr

The Bad
    Obviously vincent browns injury.

Philip :mad:

Takeo Spikes will hopefully lose playing time to mouton or demorrio williams as the season goes on.. or even move jarret johnson inside in certain packages because takeos lack of athleticism really jumps off the screen at this point in his career

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I agree he has upside but having him on PS might mean no spot for Gatson or even Hobbs for example. I dunno, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Just remember we do not need to waste a high draft pick on an offensive lineman we can build the offensive line through free agency. We do not need beef.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    but how can we trade premium draft picks for running backs every 6-9 years if we spend them on linemen???

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Somewhere Trumpy twitched.

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I am not going to go sky is falling during preseason, and I am impressed with this forum that we are not going chicken little. We are all concerned and see some reason for concern, but no blind freaking out.

HOWEVER, I am about as concerned as I can be. Reading through the positives, I think the only first team positive has been Ingram. Granted, its nice to see a 1st round pick looking good for once, but I need some more positives! I'd say the only other 1st string positives I see are on special teams. O-line, D-line, corners, QB, RB, and WR are all negatives in my opinion. Safety, TE and LB are all neutral right now.

Not freaking out yet, but far from encouraged.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm going with the dead leg syndrome, playing shape is around the corner so improvement will start showing up in leaps and bounds.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd say that TE is better than neutral. Rosario adds another pass-catching option & Gates (dare I say it?) appears healthy.

QB a negative? OK - maybe my glass is half-full. I don't see where, particularly in light of other "elite" QB's performances to date in preseason, Rivers is a negative. D-line looks improved to me as well. The rest I'm in wait & see mode.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Another positive is we havent had 50 Fire norv threads as of yet *knock on Matty's head*

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I have not had time to follow any other pre-season games, so if you say other elite QB's are struggling, then that's a little Nuprin for my pain. But 3 INT in about 3 quarters including a well under thrown ball to Meachem is a negative to me.

As for TE, I can't upgrade them beyond neutral until the offense starts moving the ball. But I agree they have promise.

Wait and see is the right choice, but it is tough when we have some data points to analyze.

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Ha! Love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Philip is the last thing I'm worried about as the San Diego Offense is conducive to interceptions, just ask Dan Fout's.

19. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    First team hasnt looked on the same page yet. That being said Malcom Floyd looks great. If he can stay healthy he will have 1,000 yards this season. Meacham and Rivers will get their timing down, and Meacham has looked great in his route running and speed. Gates looks better than he has in years and will be the #1 offensive threat this year. Ronnie Brown looks better than advertised. Le'Ron McLain looks ready to blow open some holes and catch some balls. First team O-line has not looked great but with Gaither back I think it gets a lot better. Rivers needs to feel comfortable back there and there more he throws to Royal, Meacham, Spurlock, and Parrish, the more he will. We need to generate a rushing game though, that is the worst part of the O so far.

First team D has looked pretty good. Getting way more pressure from the line and the lb's so far. Secondary still plays off too far and dont seem to have closing speed to tackle as the ball is caught which leads to spin outs and 4 more yards on almost every catch. Wright may see the field sooner than we think if they keep this up, as he seems to be the only guy who can close on a pass. Weddle is great but they basically dont throw in his direction. He may have a year like Nmandi did his last year in Oakland when they threw to his side 23 times all year. No way to make 5-10 INT's if they just dont throw at you.

Special teams has looked better than it has in years. Seems like Bisaccia has them ready and raring to go. Containment has been great, gunners and flyers have been fast and quick to the ball. Kicks have been solid all the way around (yes even Nate). No one has jumped off the field at me as a KR (Havent been able to see Goodman yet or Royal) but my guess is its Spurlocks job to lose ATM.

Give them one more week of practice and we'll see how they look this week on the road. If the run game is still non-existent and the O-line is still getting no push, and the DB's are still letting them catch everything in front of them, then we can start to get antsy.

20. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Gatson has better skills the Presley at this moment, but Presley's upside is so much higher. I love to stick athletes on the PS and see which ones work at it hard and rise out of the crap.

21. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Super Melvin is fine, but come on, Ming the Merciless is a way better LB name. He just needs to grow a pointed beard and taunt Flash Gordon every time he sacks someone!

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The only reason I'm not overly concerned about the pass rush is that the team ran the most vanilla, plain, predictable pass rushing system i've ever seen. It was almost like Manusky was back coaching the defense. For pre-season I'll grit my teeth and bare it, clearly the team will utilize it's parts better and run more impressive schemes when its monday night. The positive to note is that the defense has some real talent; we know Phillips and Barnes have ability but Reyes and Ingram might be to this team what Merriman and Castillo were in 2005-2006 (without the steroids or injuries knock on wood). Bigby looks great, Taylor is coming along, Wright has shown flashes and I'm still high on Thomas and Franklin. The team could be very special but they need to be let loose which will only happen on MNF vs Raiders

And right now i'm very very worried about the OL. This is a case of the chickens potentially coming home to roost and that's not good especially when EVERYONE knew that could happen

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    why dont we ask the Steelers, going back 20 years they have drafted 9 players in the first round to play either offense or defense line positions. But what do they know?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Meet in the middle

Melvin the Merciless

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    T-Ing, as in teeing off and the old T-Rex thing combined.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    For me, and I say this as someone who has not been able to watch the preseason games (Rome, Florence, Naples, Zürich and Konstanz have been fantastic btw), but you have to take this games with a grain of salt. You don't know what the purpose of the calls are. In a real game, the purpose of the play-calls is to win. Sometimes in the 1st quarter it's to feel out the other team, but typically you're calling plays to win. Unless you're way behind, you're typically not calling plays to "try something" for the sake of trying it.

Our preseason injuries have been (understatement) lamentable. The start to this season is beginning to look like KC's last year, although we've (so far) been blessed by an absence of season enders.

There's no point getting overly concerned or overly excited about what you see on the field, because other than the coaching staff, no one knows what the objectives of the plays are.

27. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I think that Dallas actually had a game plan rather than a preseason game. Norv looked as though he wanted to run basic plays and see who can step up. Harris got beat so Norv now knows he will need to add Mclain or McMicheals on that side to help with pass protection. I am getting concerned with PR ints. Why is this happening?

Meachum is clearly faster than VJ and I think that int shocked PR as he under throw RM. RM better start fighting for those passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That has a nice ring to it.

[​IMG]

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Philip Rivers, Robert Meachem were finally clicking today against the Cowboys: http://utsd.us/OtiHGc

30. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1