1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

See Antonio...Get Even Better

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Aug 7, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    See Antonio...Get even Better

Wow...I like that wrinkle...That would put VJ and possibly another TE/WR for teams to match up against on the other side...Or even MT in the back field with the three others out wide...

I like any of the three players mentioned one on one against just about anybody...

Leaner, faster, better routes...Holy Cow, I sure hope this isn't Kevin Acee being a homer???

TBF

2. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Like I said in another post, I would really love to see the Bolts' passing Offense brought up to a higher level. One that causes their opponents' Defenses to have that "oh sh*t" feeling. Once the Chargers can establish a consistent threat on passing, it seems to me that there's just about nothing any team can do to stop them. It's: "OK pal, how do you want to die?" :tup:

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I will choose maybe this time to die the Floyd way, can I choose the Manumaleuna direction, how about the Jackson way, the possiblity of the Neal way would be good, Davis is nice new way to reach death, Chandlers way over ther in a nice new blade as well, I see that unique Naanee weapon of death and LT's guillotine is always deadly. :lol:

There is so many I can not decide which death to go for. I need a lot of help and time tin deciding what one to chhose. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    As long as you don't choose the Neal swing pass death, I'm fine with everything else!

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Let me go on record as saying...I do not like any pass at any time to LoNeal... LoNeal is great at two things and only two things IMO...Blocking his *** off and getting 1.3 yards every time we ask him. And, that is all we need him to do. Give him what he wants when he wants it as long as it isn't a pass.

TBF

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    That will net me only an 1 yard death at the maxium on average. I think I will pass on that kind of death. :lol:

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I don't want us to put Lo-Neil out wide as people will not see him a wide threat

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I have be pining to see LT and Turner in the slots at the same time. 5 WR sets. If a defense saw that, they would ****.

I never see Turner going out in pass patterns and it is about time.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I like having him in the backfield in these sets...A play fake to him will freeze the backers thus opening up even more room in the middle...

They have to respect the burner amigo...And if they don't, we give him the damn ball the next time around...

TBF :abq2: :abq2: :abq1: :abq1:

10. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Thoughts of bleeding from a papercut come to mind.

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    :icon_eek:

How about doing that just once inside the three yard line and then letting PR just walk in untouched on a sneak.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/07/the-pass-offense-still-goes-through-antonio-gates/

The Chargers' Pass Offense Still Goes Through Antonio Gates
    Posted Aug 7th 2007 10:24PM by Ryan Wilson
    Filed under: Chargers, AFC West

[​IMG]

Yesterday I mentioned that Vincent Jackson was ready to be the team's No. 1 wide receiver, as much as that's possible when you play with tight end Antonio Gates. Jackson has shown flashes, but has yet to put together a complete season. Well, guess what? While Jackson and first-round pick Craig Davis get comfortable, the Chargers will focus on getting Gates more involved in the offense, if that's possible.

Last year was Philip Rivers' first as the starting quarterback, and now he has a much better understanding of San Diego's offense. An offense, by the way, that is built around LaDainian Tomlinson and Gates. Last year, Rivers admitted to "coming off" Gates too soon -- not giving the tight end enough time to get open -- but that'll change:
    "I don't know how he can be more a part in terms of his production," [Norvell Turner] said. "But the one thing that is very, very important to me is that we try to not go long stretches that our guys that handle the ball (aren't) involved. Sometimes it's by design of the defense, but we're trying to create enough situations where we want to get Antonio involved in every game and having some catches early and let him be part of it."
    Gates was good for 71 catches, 924 yards and nine TDs in '06 -- his lowest output since his rookie season. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "He is leaner, more muscular and about 253 pounds, down from his listed weight of 260." And make fun of Norv Turner all you want for his days in Washington and Oakland, but the guy can coach offensive football.
    And under Turner, Gates is learning things he hadn't even fathomed before. He is running quicker routes and longer routes and routes that turn in ways he did not turn them before. "The sixes, the eights, the zeroes, the nine – those are routes a lot of teams haven't seen me run," Gates said.
    The rest of the AFC West just swallowed a bug.

13. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Hopefully it'll be the entire NFL (or at least all the teams on the Bolts' schedule) that swallows this bug.

And I hope they CHOKE ON IT!!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :tup: :icon_toast: :icon_banana: :icon_party:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    LoNeal will be just fine on swing routes our as an outlet, as long as it isn't a habit. Throwing to him once in a while keeps the defense really off balance, since they have to know that you will throw to ANYONE at any given time. That is especially true if Norval's offense is going to flood once side of the field once in a while as has been intimated. LoNeal hurts people when they collide with him. DB's hate to seem him more than three yards beyond scrimmage.

15. asela

asela BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    LoNeal is going to be open all day anytime he's into the pattern as a dump off. He's really a guy DCs are going to allow as a gimme to protect from all the bigger plays the other guys can net you. It's why I'd like to see Nanee become an effective blocker at HB, because when he sneaks out for a dump off or on a shallow cross, he can do some damage in the open field.

Since I'm in LA, I've only gotten a chance to make 1 training camp, but Nanee caught everything I saw. He's much more fluid catching the ball in stride, or catching and turning upfield quickly, unlike LoNeal who doesn't have great hands and has some difficulty adjusting to a ball not completely on target. No knock on LoNeal, it's just not his primary job.