1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jan 7, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Anyone watching this game, can you help me keep this updated with what player and position is going to what college

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I think you mean the All-America Game (the HS one, sponsored by Under Armor)... not a bowl game, but about as close as you get for high school seniors till they actually hit college.

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    im watching the U.S. Army ALL American game, so far its had like 5 commintments, 2 LB to lousiville

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    But as far as lists go:

WR Keenan Allen (Greensboro, NC) - Cal
    WR Jordan Payton (Westlake Village, CA) - Cal
    S Jordan Diggs (Cape Coral, FL) - South Carolina
    DE Tyriq McCord (Tampa, FL) - Miami (FL)
    LB Brian Nance (Euless, TX) - Baylor
    LB Keith Brown (Miami, FL) - Louisville
    LB Nick Dawson (Charlotte, NC) - Louisville
    S Deon Bush (Miami, FL) - Miami (FL)
    DB Kevon Seymour (Pasadena, CA) - USC
    QB Anthony Alford (Petal, MS) - Southern Miss
    DT Ellis McCarthy (Monrovia, CA) - Cal
    S Elijah Shumate (Ramsey, NJ) - Notre Dame

Upcoming:
    S Shaquille Thompson (Sacramento, CA) - 4th Qtr
    DE Jonathan Bullard (Shelby, NC) - 4th Qtr
    RB Barry Sanders Jr. (Oklahoma City, OK) -4th Qtr

• Like Like x 1
  5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    the one's i want to know the most are
    RB Barry Sanders Jr. (Oklahoma City, OK)
    S Shaquille Thompson (Sacramento, CA)

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Thompson it's basically down to Cal, Notre Dame, and SC... and I'd be shocked if he picks ND.

Sanders is almost surely going to choose Stanford - which has been known for a while now, but he (and his dad) is a name so he could help sell the game in that respect, they can throw an Oklahoma State hat down on the table just to tease that he might go to his dad's school.

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yea i know but i think itd be something if Sanders did go to OKSU

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Honestly aside from the Louisville LB's (which shouldn't surprise too much because Charlie Strong was Urban Meyer's multi-tool hitter in recruitment at Florida), the biggest surprise for me is Ellis McCarthy and Jordan Payton choosing Cal. Cal's notorious for always landing elite talent and then never making any noise even in their own conference. You'd think they would have learned from DeSean Jackson - you don't go to Cal "to win".

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Yea Cal has completely cleaned house with all these kids, with all this talent they should be able to build and compete for a title if they dont they should feel embarrassed

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It'd be incredibly dumb for his pro prospects. He's still developing as a runner so he's not going to be the one-cut, not quite as elusive guy forever - he'll develop that aspect into his game. And playing at a program with an offensive scheme that suits him better (which is not the Cowboys' shotgun-happy scheme) and which historically brings in quality linemen to block for him will serve him a lot better than sentimentality will. Stanford or Alabama should be at the top of his list, and if he values his pro prospects I'd think he'd have Florida State higher than Okie State as well.

Let me put it this way, this isn't his father's Oklahoma State program - it's changed since them. And if Barry Sr. had had the opportunity to go to Stanford, he would have jumped at that opportunity.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    They won't because Tedford's overrated as an in-game coach. Cal's rep at this point is simply as a pro mill - you won't win championships, you'll play in maybe an average of two bowl games your entire collegiate career (and only one notable one by and large - but not a BCS Bowl), but you'll be heavily scouted by the pro teams because they know you're technique will be well coached - even if your on-field performances don't translate to wins.

12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    thats not only a very valid point, but its true for the most part, i dont understand why you would go to a college where you dont think you can win, unless youre looking at the big picture and hoping your play on the field translate to draft position and pick.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's what's on the mind of at least 80% of the recruits that are playing in this game - and it's one of the selling points of a number of programs.

Exposure is one thing - which is why Notre Dame, even in bad years, still have solid recruiting classes (that and tradition), since they have that uber-long TV contract with NBC thus making it so that their games are regularly televised nationally. Even when Cal has a top prospect or one in Heisman consideration (Best, Lynch, Jackson) they still don't get the necessary exposure, except when they play the more noted conference opponents like SC, Oregon, and Stanford.

We're seeing with this recruiting class that they're starting to play up the "Pro Mill" rep with this DL Coach of theirs that really pushes that he's had a DL prospect drafted in the first round of the last two drafts. And that's great and all except that the program itself has seen it's two most prominent players of late (DeSean Jackson and Jahvid Best) both take massive tumbles from what their stock was thought to be (Jackson was supposed to be a lock to be a Top 15 pick and fell to the 2nd round; Best was supposed to be neck and neck with CJ Spiller for top RB in the class and only made it into the 1st round because the Lions' HC Jim Schwartz was adamant about landing a speedy "scat-back type," otherwise it was reported that the next team to have any interest in picking was St. Louis in the 2nd round or the Bucs at 40th overall). Also - and I hate to tell Shaq Harris this, though he may have the athletic ability to overcome this - Cal's DB coach is straight garbage. I see seniors (4th and 5th year guys) on his roster with some of the worst mechanics and technique I've seen at a major conference program in quite a while.