1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ThunderHorse17, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    So I like the rosters from what I have seen. I kno hes prob not close to top 10 WR in the draft, but im a Dennard Robinson fan.

North Offense
    QB Zac Dysert, Miami (OH)
    QB Mike Glennon, NC State
    QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon
    RB Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
    RB Robbie Rouse, Fresno State

FB Kyle Juszczyk, Harvard
    WR Aaron Dobson, Marshall
    WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas
    WR Chris Harper, Kansas
    WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
    WR Denard Robinson, Michigan
    WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

TE Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky
    TE Nick Kasa, Colorado
    TE Ryan Otten, San Jose State

OL Braxton Cave, Notre Dame
    OL Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
    OL Kyle Long, Oregon
    OL Joe Madsen, West Virginia
    OL Justin Pugh, Syracuse
    OL David Quessenberry, San Jose State
    OL Hugh Thornton, Illinois
    OL Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin
    OL Brian Winters, Kent State

LS Luke Ingram, Hawaii

South Offense
    QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
    QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas
    RB Andre Ellington, Clemson
    RB Mike Gillislee, Florida
    RB Onterio McCalebb, Auburn
    RB Stephan Taylor, Stanford
    FB Tommy Bohanon, Wake Forest
    WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas
    WR Tavarres King, Georgia
    WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
    WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M
    WR Conner Vernon, Duke
    WR Terrance Williams, Baylor
    TE Vance McDonald, Rice
    TE Mychal Rivera, Tennessee
    TE Michael Williams, Alabama
    OL Oday Aboushi, Virginia
    OL D.J. Fluker, Alabama
    OL Dalton Freeman, Clemson
    OL Garrett Gilkey, Chadron State
    OL Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
    OL Xavier Nixon, Florida
    OL Brian Schwenke, CalOL Dallas Thomas, Tennessee
    OL J.C. Tretter, Cornell
    OL Larry Warford, Kentucky
    LS Carson Tinker, Alabama

Im intersted to watch both the offenses. There are gonna be alot of Defensive players that will be worth the watch as well, but IMO ALOT of the offensive players we might be lookin to draft will be playing in this game.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I've been watching a lot of the South teams practices and the guys who have impressed me a ton are the ones I highlighted

Lane Johnson goes without say if we fail to get Joeckel or Fisher WE NEED THIS KID! Right side or Left he held his own, Ilove how he has been finishing his blocks by slamming the defender to the ground

Larry Warford had a great match up today against John Jenkins, 2 sumo wrestlers going at it, also demonstrated he can move up the field with a great chip block

Quinton Patton Showed great skills today ran a bunch of great routes and won every 50/50 ball thrown his way

Vance McDonald Still needed to show he could catch (did too many double catches) but I loved how he continued to just run the defenders over and knocking them on their @#$es

Brian Schwnke Plays, quick, plays mean and continues to anchor his body down to prevent getting moved back. Im not sure what round he's going but I would love him to be the heir to Hardwick

B.W. Webb, Robert Alford, Leon McFadden

• Like Like x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Mike James gets a late invite to Saturday's Senior Bowl

Didn't get a chance to pass this along earlier because I was working the phones, but Canes running back Mike James has been invited as a late addition for Saturday's Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.
    James, replacing injured Clemson running back Andre Ellington on the South roster, will be the 63rd Miami Hurricane to play in the Senior Bowl and the first Canes running back since Cleveland Gary in 1989.
    It will be James' second postseason college bowl invite; the Haines City, Fla., native rushed for 21 yards in the 2013 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl held on Jan. 19 in Carson, Calif.
    James started all 12 games at running back for the Hurricanes in 2012, finishing as the team’s second-leading rusher with 642 yards and six touchdowns. He piled up 1,386 rushing yards and 17 TDs, while catching 67 passes for 585 yards and five touchdowns in his career. He was one of 11 FBS players named to the 2012 AFCA Allstate Good Works Team in September.
    Kickoff Saturday is set for 4 p.m. The game will be televised on the NFL Network.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...e-to-saturdays-senior-bowl.html#storylink=cpy

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    All guys I'll be keeping an eye on..

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well Fisher is having a pretty solid game, he will go top-10 for sure now. Hate to say it, but Lane Johnson doesn't look far behind.

Justin Pugh looks like Jeromey Clary out there at LT. He needs to be moved to RT. Those short arms definitely hurt him.

On the other hand, Ziggy Ansah's stock just went through the roof.

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    If Jordan Poyer is available in the 2nd round at our pick, I'll take him in a heartbeat. Turnover machine.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Okay, I'm sold, Ziggy Ansah at 11 please. :)

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    TD! :abq2:

9. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    Ansah has looked great today, I also wouldn't mind a mid round pick on Tavarres King if he's available

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Lane Johnson earned a first round today

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    CHARGERS better get ready to spend a first round pick on an LT unless there's someone they really like at a lower level, like the kid from Pine Bluff or they think someone like Long can be a real LT and can get him in teh second

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Well... yes and no. Most actual scouts aren't going to suddenly rocket a guy up their board simply because he stood out in an all-star game. They either had a prospect high to begin with and this just confirmed it, or they didn't have him as high but this will cause them to go back and take another look at his tape - and if the they see something different on the tape than what they previously thought they saw, then THAT will move him up their board.

People have to remember, Mike Mayock is not a scout. He's a media pundit (and an employee of the league) there to boost viewership and ratings. His "guys who made themselves money" bit is only a half-truth; and trust me there are/were scouts going into this weekend that already had Fisher as a Top 10-15 prospect. You have to remember, this is the same Mike Mayock who was pimping Shea McClellin and Danny Watkins not too long ago... who was gushing over Blaine Gabbert. Now don't get me wrong, not all of what Mayock says (some of the technical breakdowns are spot-on) is tripe, but his primary objective is to sell the league, get people to tune into the Combine and the Draft, and sell the future players of the league. If you were to take his word as gospel today, he'd have something like 40+ guys with 1st round grades (in a draft class without a lot of top-end QB prospects, mind you!); most teams rarely have 1st round grades one more than about 25 or so prospects, the guys that go in the very late part of the 1st are most-of-the-time guys with 2nd round grades on them - sometimes even by the team selecting them (it's why you see those teams in the bottom of the 1st so content to trade back).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Glad to hear that bout Lane, but any news on how much Fisher could rise fall as a result of his play?

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Agreed Mayock or any other pundit dont know any more that me or you at predicting the NFL future.

I already am preparing myself to see Fisher drafted as far as 7th to Arizona.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Reports are saying Fisher has been soaring onto peoples radars and could easily challenge Joeckel as the number 1 tackle
    could go as early as the 4th and not later than the 11th

Johnson isn't as pure as Fisher (yet) but his footwork and awareness in pass protection was amazing, one thing I like about him is he appears to be a quick learner, going from a QB to a 1st round level tackle is no easy task.
    reports are saying he can go 16-24

As of now I have
    Fisher,Joeckel,Johnson I would love to have any of them at this point.

I don't see another left tackle in this draft who can compete with these 3's talents who can come in and play day 1.

All 3 have also shown they can hold their own against top prospects such as Okafor and Moore

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Agreed on the fact that it looks like only 3 solid LT prospects are gonna be available in round 1, tho I still would go Joekel as the 1 to Fisher 2. IMO Chance Warmack surviving to the 10th pick is more surprising than Eric Fisher to Arizona 7th overall.

I do wonder tho, whats up with Kyle Long? He seems to be shooting up the top 100 boards, and then I look at NFL.com and he is listed at OG... Is his rise recently only based on NFL teams projecting him to be a better fit at G than RT or LT? Either way, I ended up reacing for any kind of help for our Oline in the second after taking Banks at 11 and took Kyle as a hopeful LT/ if not RTotF or even RG for his rookie year then RT.

I just hope im wrong and Fisher AND Warmack become valid options at 11.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    The only 4th LT I'm at all interest in in this draft would be Dallas Thomas - and that's largely because of his versatility. I don't believe the guy is going to be a "great" LT, but I think in a zone-scheme he can be serviceable until such a time as someone better can be procured and he can then be moved to his position(s) of better fit (LG or RT), which isn't as difficult a pill to swallow as he would would be a case of a 2nd round selection. Other guys that are getting LOT pub, I just feel either won't be Day One ready (Aboushi) or aren't good fits (Pugh, Long is a better guard projection, as is Brian Winters from Kent State who actually has an immense guard ceiling in a zone-scheme).

The threats for Fisher are - more likely than not - going to come from earlier in the order than anyone trading from behind us to beat us out (Saffold apparently graded out exceedingly well as an LT for St. Louis and they need help more at RT or OG - neither worth trading up for). Arizona's going to be the real pivot point. If one of he or Joeckel get by them there's a better than decent shot they make it to us (the Jets won't invest that high of a pick in a RT, Tennessee would have to commit to kicking one of their normally very good OT's in to guard if they drafted an OT, and Buffalo appears well set at the tackle spots and with greater needs). The wild cards are Oakland and the Eagles. The Eagles have a lot of money tied to their current tackles (Bell and Peters), but there's no meta to go off on where Chip will go with his personnel control (QB's a possibility, or I could even see him grabbing the best defensive building block he can get his hands on, trusting in his own offensive scheming prowess to craft something with what's currently there and later picks).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    The thing I hated the most was the fact that the QB's aside from EJ Manuel (who was never a 1st round talent anyways) I believe hurt their draft stock, although Dysert looked to be getting into rhythm towards the end.

Here's hoping KC re-signs Albert, Miami Re-signs Long

At this point unless one of these kids step up KC almost has to take Geno Smith unless they bring over Vick or make a trade for Alex Smith

I believe Jags and Raiders are going with the two best pass rushers Werner and Jones or Moore

Eagles like LBC said is a wild card, personally I don't think they should go QB in the first, they can grab Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd or even bring in Dennis Dixon for cheap and see if he can still run Chip's offense. If they switch to a 3-4 they're going to need a big bodied run stuffing power pig. Star will fit need + value here

Detroit, if he is available I believe will go Dee Milliner.

Cleveland is where the fun begins, I was hoping I could say Landry Jones or Tyler Wilson, I was hoping to say Mike Glennon none of them impressed so I will say the next best rush linebacker goes to Cleveland

Arizona, Joeckel or Barkley, Joeckel or Barkley? Joeckel goes to AZ

Barkley goes to Buffalo

I am hoping the Jets go with the next best available Rusher who ever it may be

I think a guard at 10 is way too high, but then again Munchak being a guard who was drafted 8th overall wont care where you go, you either have it o you don't and Warmack has it

Here is where we get our guy Fisher at 11

I know the scenario wont happen anything like this but a guy can only hope

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I don't know, I know he's gonna turn some heads at the combine as well though, because of that athleticism. He is a freak of nature.

I hate Mayock by the way, but he was pretty spot on about Ansah, guy was all over the field making plays.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    The Eagles had one of the most injury riddled Olines this year. It can be said that they could still have players that fit the position still, that they didnt have enuff time to mesh with each other on the field. I think Joekel if he doesnt get drafted by Jax, goes to Eagles. I think its one of the most sense makin steal picks in the first round.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Well he's not going to JAX, they're set with Eugene Monroe and its way to high to draft a right tackle.

Philly depends entirely on if they still believe in Jason Peters.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Turn heads, certainly. But again... fans put too much stock in the combine or the post-Bowl games to boost a player's stock - when really it's a case that the media weren't paying much attention to him (and thus a good deal of fans weren't either), but any professional college scout worth a damn already knew who the guy was and had a good idea of what he was capable of doing.

A noteworthy performance at the combine and Senior/Shrine Bowl games will cause scouts and front offices to go back and have a second (or third) look at the tape, but these guys do this work year round for a living - mostly there has to be a MASSIVE exceeding or decline from expectations (projected performance) for a full blown re-evaluation.

Take for example, Duffman's man-crush of Travis Frederick from Wisconsin. The guy has great tape, positional versatility, and fantastic size-to-agility ratio. Now, no doubt after the combine he'll be touted by the media as some "late riser," when in reality I highly doubt many scouts had him tabbed much below a solid 2nd round pick and the combine will just boost the hype around him which could make a GM more willing to spend a late 1st on him.