1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SF Chronicle's Nancy Gay on the Turds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Nov 22, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/22/SPGP7MHQHF1.DTL

Here's my favorite quote:

Owner Al Davis continues to stand by coach Art Shell, who continues to stand by offensive coordinator Tom Walsh and his last-place scheme. And all of them continue to ignore how ridiculously outdated and overmatched the Raiders' offense has become.

After the Raiders lost to the Broncos 17-13 in Week 10, Jordan revealed that the team went into that game with only three running plays. THREE? Tecmo Bowl was infinitely more complicated than that.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Hey, it is a commitment to something at least:lol:

4. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    This may be the saddest quote I have ever read about an NFL team:

"One coach who has scouted Seattle on defense said this week that the Raiders' game film in that contest was so bad, "I couldn't even use it."

:icon_eek: Wow! Absolutely woeful...:no: :shakes head in disgust:

5. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Here is my favorite comment from the article............

One coach who has scouted Seattle on defense said this week that the Raiders' game film in that contest was so bad, "I couldn't even use it."

:lol:

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    And there are Charger fans actually worried about an upset. :icon_shrug:

7. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    I take no team lightly...I worry about every game...seen to many upsets in my 40+ years of watching NFL/Chargers football...:lol:
    the 1979 Playoff game against a Houston team playing without it's top RB (Earl Campbell), top receiver (Kenny Burroughs), starting QB (Dan Pastorini) and starting OLT..."no way they beat the team with the NFL's best record (12-4)...no way"...:icon_eek:
    I said to myself while sitting stunned in my seat at "The Murph"...:no:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I feel the same way. But there's a difference between being worried about some sort of freak game where everything goes wrong and you somehow lose to a lesser team, and ACTUALLY believing there's a chance that there will be an upset.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    Three plays? That wouldn't work in Madden 07. :icon_rofl:

10. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    I know...BUT.....the sting of the 1979 playoff game vs. the injury depleted Houston Oilers still haunts me...I'll never forget the feeling of complete disbelief...it hurts as much today as it did 27 years ago...:icon_evil:

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I was three so I don't remember that one. Though I do remember watching the '81 AFC Champ game in Cincy. I wore ski gloves in the hopes that through some sort of voodoo it would keep the Bolts warm. When Fouts threw that pick that essentially ended the game, I threw my gloves off in disgust. :tdown:

You realize you are comparing the Turds to a playoff team. Whether they were injury depleted or not, the '79 Oilers had to have more going for them than the '06 Turds, though they do seem to be running a similar offense. :lol:

12. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    What is Al Davis thinking, it isn't the co-ordinator's or the coaches fault, it is the players fault becuase they're the one on the field playing so pathetic

13. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    It was by far the worst loss in Charger history...
    The Oilers came in here without Earl Campbell, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Burroughs and their starting OLT...pro bowlers all...they had absolutely NOTHING on offense...nothing....but 5 Fouts INT's (4 by the same Safety...Vernon Perry IIRC) and we watched in horror as the game just slipped away...They scored on two of the INT's and we were IIRC 14 point favorites...it was beyond a nightmare to watch...especially in person...I still have nightmares about the Oilers jumping up and down dancing and yelling at the stunned and silent Charger crowd...
    It was like a Fellini movie...surreal...I've been jaded ever since and will never take an NFL team lightly again...never...:no:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Monday Morning

This just in
    The San Francisco Chroncile is reporting that Aaron Brooks has filed charges against Igor Olshansky and Shaun Phillips. There are 4 counts of statutory ****; Olshansky and Phillips each has two sacks against Brooks on sunday.

The SDUT is reporting that CBs Nnamdi Asamougha and Fabian Washington are in stable condition. Both had second degree burns over 75% of their legs and 15% of their arms. It is unsure whether they will bring assault charges against Eric Parker, Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd who each had a touchdown each on the corners.

Cheeeee-spa should get a kick out of the statutory **** chage :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Gifford Fuq'in Nielson :icon_eek: :tdown: :icon_evil:

You're absolutely correctamundo, my friend...NO NFL team should ever take an opponent lightly.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Vernon Perry is correct, that assshole!! :icon_eek: :tdown: :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Goodness, sometimes I'm glad I haven't been that long. So much pain. More than I've known.

18. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Remember the report after the game that the Oilers were stealing the Charger signals (this was of course before the plays were radioed into the QB's helmet...they used hand signals from the sidelines)...
    The way Perry was reading Fouts, I had no doubt they were stealing the signals...they knew what plays were coming...they had to...:icon_evil:

We had the best record in the NFL and had wrapped up Homefield Advantage thru the entire Playoffs...then lost in the first round to a team we were favored over by 2 TD's...:tdown: :no:

IIRC this same year we beat both previous Superbowl teams (Steelers and Rams) by a total of 60 points...just KILLED them both....we were the talk of the football world and the favorites to win it all...

not to be...:no:

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If the Chargers lose to the Raiders this weekend it will be a tank on the level of Ohio State losing to the Aztecs. Seriously, even if the Chargers don't play their best they should still easily beat the Raiders--that's how bad the Raiders are on offense.

When the Bolts lost to Miami last year it was bad, but at least you knew coming in that Miami was a competetive team that had a few wins under their belt.

The Raiders are neither. They beat the Cardinals right after the Cards morale-crushing loss to te Bears, and they beat the Steelers when Big Ben turned the ball over like 47 times.

As long as we take care of the football we'll be fine. And I could picture this being a blowout win.

20. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    THE RAIDERS ARELIKE THAT OLD SCHOOL VIDEO GAME WITH PONG ,TENNIS AND SQUASH ONLY 3 GAMES:lol: :icon_tease: :lol: :bolt: :lol: :bolt:

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That may have been the dawning of using decoys to signal plays in, but I could be wrong. I seemta recall somethin about the way the signaller was standing in relation to what the Houston bench could see.

All I know is the Chargers got snookered...those INTs seemedta be thrown right to Perry.

Gifford Fuq'in Nielson.:tdown: :icon_evil:

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    man, i wanna see ONE pick by the faders and watch LT crack the guy so hard that he fumbles the ball and LT runs it back for a TD

this would be me -----> :icon_rofl:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You're right, TS, but I agree with the Irish Internet Bully...we shouldn't take this team lightly. Jes take care of business.

24. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    according to "scouts" inc. of espn-

When the Chargers have the ball
    Rushing: As of today, Tomlinson is the league MVP. He is just dominating right now in every phase of the game. In the first meeting between these teams he carried the ball 31 times for 131 yards and one TD. However, other than one or two bad run fits early in the game, the Raiders' defense did a very good job of keeping Tomlinson bottled up. Do not expect them to have the same success this week. In the first meeting QB Rivers was making his first career start and the game plan was extremely conservative. Rivers attempted only 11 passes in that game, which allowed the Raiders to consistently get eight men in box at the snap and were even running the other safety toward the line of scrimmage at the snap.

Rivers is now a serious threat throwing the football, so the Raiders will have to try to contain Tomlinson with primarily a seven-man front. The biggest chore for defensive coordinator Rob Ryan this week is to try to harness some of the aggressiveness of his defense. He has a bunch of athletes who can fly to the ball, but in doing so they can lose gap control. Tomlinson might have the best vision of any back to ever play the game. If the Raiders are undisciplined he will make them pay with the cutback run.

Passing: After guiding the Chargers to back-to-back comeback wins, Rivers has become one of the elite QBs in the NFL. He is taking a few too many chances and has been a little loose with the ball at times, but that is the case with most gunslingers. He is getting the job done when in counts and has an entire team that believes in his leadership abilities. When the Chargers go to the air, Rivers needs to do a much better job of getting TE Antonio Gates involved. Last week Gates did not get one ball thrown in his direction during the entire first half. Gates will have a great matchup this week vs. rookie SS Michael Huff, who is solid in coverage.

The San Diego receivers are very mediocre and will have trouble shaking the tight man-to-man coverage the Raiders will throw at them. Look for the Raiders to come up and try to jam the receivers at the line, which may force Rivers to have to hold onto the ball a little longer then he would like. The Raiders' defense will pose a solid test for the Chargers' high-octane offense. :icon_eek:

---even if we were ranked #1 in every poll, some fool will still make up some crap about this team. watch our WRs destroy assomugga and washington. (i kinda have some respect for fabian tho...)