1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sgt. Merlin German

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Game123, May 2, 2008.

1. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20080502-0537-obit-german.html

'Miracle' Marine dies

5:37 a.m. May 2, 2008

By The Associated Press

A Marine sergeant who became a symbol of resilience as he strove to recover from a roadside bomb blast in Iraq that blanketed 97 percent of his body with burns has died, the Defense Department said. He was 22.

Sgt. Merlin German died April 11 at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, where he was continuing treatment for the injuries he suffered in combat on Feb. 22, 2005, the Pentagon said Thursday.

The former turret gunner was dubbed the “Miracle Man” for his determination in facing his wounds, which cost the former saxophone player his fingers and rippled his face with scars. He endured more than 40 surgeries, spent 17 months in a hospital and had to learn to walk again.

Meanwhile, he started a charity, Merlin's Miracles, to aid child burn victims and considered college and a career.

“Sometimes I do think I can't do it,” he told The Associated Press last year. “Then I think: Why not? I can do whatever I want. ... Nobody has ever been 97 percent dead and survived, and lived to walk.”

Born in New York City, German moved to its suburbs as a teenager. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in September 2003, according to his charity's Web site. He was medically retired four years later, the Defense Department said.

German had been stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that the state Capitol's flags would be flown at half-staff in German's honor, saying the sergeant's “courage and unfailing loyalty serve as an inspiration to Americans everywhere.”

To visit his website... http://www.merlinsmiracles.com/index.html

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Brave young man. RIP, Sargeant.

3. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Stories like this really puts things in perspective.
    Life is so precious. Rest in peace Sgt.

4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The Price of Oil continues to go up.

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Stories like this really hit me in the solar plexus, what with a daughter the same age serving in Iraq as we speak. Kids like this have more cojones at their tender age than most of us will have in a lifetime. No matter what one's opinion of the war, I think we can all agree that this young man was a hero in every sense of the word.

May God keep him from any more pain.

6. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    May God keep your sweet little girl safe.....:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    I am having a hard time with this tone!:yes:

8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah, me too.........My baby girl is over in that 110-degree hell-hole, missing her little boy and sacrificing comfort, freedom, and God knows what else so that we can, among other things, still have access to that expensive f'ing oil. I'm not happy about gas prices either, but dammit, whining about 'em in the middle of a thread about a hero who paid the ultimate price is NOT cool.:tdown: