1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shaking Things Up In San Diego! Earthquake

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pointyearedog, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    A 6.9 magnitude tremor struck about an hour ago just southeast of Tijuana, and there have been several aftershocks in San Diego county and Imperial County near the border for the last half hour or so. Some have been 5.1 shakers, most are in the 3 to 4 magnitude range, some centered near Jacumba, Brawley, Julian, Mecca, Salton Sea, El Centro, Pine Valley, Mexicali, and near Palm Springs.
    The big one felt like a roller here in San Diego, cars were hopping and swaying like lowriders with hydraulics going just outside the laundromat where I was observing. Weird.

Pointy :unsure:

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    We are still experiencing aftershocks here, and the initial quake has been changed from 6.9 to 7.2 magnitude. It is throwing my equilibrium off a little when I can feel the shaking around me.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Searched "earthquake" on google 3 minutes after it happenned and Google already had their usgs data up. 6.9 about 40 miles due South of Mexicali. Was on the phone with my parents at the time. They thought it was the washing machine. :icon_rofl:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    rock & roll baby!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Mother nature man....she is speaking up in a many ways recently with earthquakes, valcano eruptions, floods hurricanes and others. Man will never learn! :no:

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Learn what brother?

Nature is in control, we're just along for the ride.

:tup:

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    The quake was just upgraded to 7.2....that's pretty significant considering the Quake in Haiti was 7.0.....I can't remember the last time I felt one that strong for that long....I guess maybe the Northridge quake in the early 90's.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I guess I am one of those believers that you **** with the earth enough and she will fight back. Destroying the forrests, dumping of waste and chemicals in streams, rivers or oceans thus causing coral bleaching and adversly interferring with natures natural balance. I've been scuba diving a few times off of Costa Rica at Cocos Island and the first time I went you could dive with schools of thousands of hammer head sharks and a few years afterwards fishing boats hit the area doing long line fishing just for the fins and the next time I went there was no where near the amount of sharks as there were the first time.
    So is she in control? Absolutely, and I believe she is showing us just that n.ow

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

didn't you have some pics of those hammerheads on the UT forum for awhile?

rings a bell.

anyways, no question this earth is bigger than man. We can screw with it all we want but in the end, she'll have the last laugh

:yes:

10. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    hmmm not in town to feel it. I lived through the 89 quake in san fran though and all of the 90's quakes in SD. If its not deadly it sure can be fun.

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Yes I did, and still do.

Last laugh, yes. Unfortunately those affected aren't laughing. :no:

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

True, true.

But us lowly humans have nothing to do with earthquakes, volcano's, and weather

now the fishing, that's a whole different story

:tdown:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    As much as I'm sure that's true, I am one of those believers that for every action there is a reaction and somehow someway man does have an affect on weather and other natural disasters. But I am sure it is a very complex interaction. I know I know.....screwed up thinking. :lol:

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    I tell my wife that the earth is like a dog shaking off the fleas :icon_eek:

Tell you what, I'm gonna stop watching natgeo/discovery, I'm getting paranoid with all those disaster shows

15. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I was in Oxnard and people were saying they felt an earthquake, but I didn't feel it even when they were saying it was still shaking.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I know folks in AZ that felt it also.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    So yeah I was driving to then playing Tennis at Clairemont and I didn't feel a damn thing

18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    2012 guys! only 2 years away

19. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    O ****...

Not...

Bible code said the world was goonna start ending and small pox terrorism in 2008...

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is not an attack but here it goes.

Since us Humans are affecting the Earth we must As Soon As Possible Commit Suicide to protect the Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    alot of big quakes going on around the planet now. The question is is this the start to some real rockin and rollin or what.:yes:

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    It's a settling thing...plates move and when one moves a lot...you get that big earthquake...and we know that all the earth's plates are connected...so quite possible that it moves other plates a little too...then you get another shift/quake..and so on.......or it could all be a coincidence.:icon_shrug:

23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    I'd settle for trying not to harm it so much

24. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    No amount of less harming the Earth is going to make a difference. We must all as Humans Commit Suicide to protect it. No more Humans no more harming. Earth is saved.

Now to get back on the topic at hand I hope no one has been hurt from this Quake.

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That was quite a quake today! I was at my mother in laws in East San Diego (the hood) and we were like, wth is that? We had all 15 nieces and nephews there for our annual Easter luncheon when it happened and it was STRONG. One of the strongest I've felt in a LONG time. A few items fell off the shelves and the kids were instructed to dive under the nearest table. I'm just glad nobody was hurt!

26. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I felt it all the way up here in Vegas. Dinning room chandelier was swaying and dog started barking at me. Guess he could feel it better than me.:icon_eek:

27. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    One fatality so far.

28. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :( Right now that is very fortunate compared to Haiti.

29. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    It would just be easier to deal with those who show a total disregard to Earth.

Heard about the deaths, that sucks. But like another poster said, it could have easily have been another Haiti and thank god it wasn't.