1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shaking Things Up In San Diego! Earthquake

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pointyearedog, Apr 4, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    And we have "intrusive" government regulations to thank for that. It is Haiti's lack of building codes which is to blame for the devastation in Haiti, and is the reason for the lack of devastation here

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I don't think that country has the financial ability to have building codes. How do you have a building code for people trying to make a home out of driftwood?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps this was a result of that big stone getting rolled out of the way yesterday? :icon_shrug:

Yes I realize that I'm headed somewhere warm next. I hope it's Disney World. :tup:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Those weren't driftwood huts that fell over in Haiti that killed everyone. It was the multiple floors of concrete slab piled on top of each other.

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Ummm I think I know that. But if you are going to have a building code, then you have to have a building code for all. Many of these countries have water and electric in ways that would never pass any type of code. They do what they have to do to make it work. That's what happens to these poor nations. I'm sure that building codes are the last thing on their minds. Even after a disaster like they just had.
    Besides, building codes are a joke. All it is is a way for governments to make money. My neighbor wanted to build a new house on his property and then tear down his old. Permits were going to cost him about 2K. His wife got sick and he had to hold off and when he decided to fianlly move forward (a few years later) he couldn't do it because those 2K in permit fees had gone up to 18-20K in fees. Tell me, is it about the safety of building or is it about money? Then you have those that turn their head for a few extra bucks and when something goes wrong they don't hold the township responsible because according to them......the work passed code. Are their legitimate inspectors? Absolutely. But in the end it is still all about the money.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Haiti had problems before the earthquake - they were a poor nation and the earthquake hit them right near the capital IIRC... put a 7.0+ under the middle of LA and you'll still see some serious damage/destruction... imagine if there were no building guidelines or earthquake retrofitting or emergency services network? scary thought!

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    good to see you're rational about that :tdown: no need to argue the point with you

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    we? as in both goverments? (Mexico and USA) most of the damage was in Mexicali (and about 40 miles south in rural areas)

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    true

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Our government isn't in the business of making money. In the end, it's here to serve the in the best interest of us citizens.

Spoken from a true blue liberal

:flag:

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_huh: :no:

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol: