1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shanahan to coach Redskins

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 5, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4799532

After an afternoon of negotiations produced an agreement, Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract to become head coach and executive vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins.

Under the terms of the new deal, Shanahan will team with Redskins executive vice president and general manager Bruce Allen, but Shanahan will have the ultimate authority on football decisions. Shanahan will be introduced as the Redskins head coach at a 2 p.m. ET news conference Wednesday.

As the contract was being signed at the Redskins' training complex, Shanahan and owner Dan Snyder posed together for a picture. Then, with the deal signed, Shanahan, his agent Sandy Montag, Allen and Snyder headed out for a celebration dinner in Washington, D.C.

The contract is worth approximately $7 million a year, the Denver Post reported on its Web site. Now that Shanahan has been hired elsewhere, the Denver Broncos, who fired Shanahan one year ago, will recoup $7 million in offset money over the next two seasons under the terms of the agreement they had with the coach.

The Redskins' intense courtship of Shanahan began shortly after Jim Zorn was fired on Monday morning. Zorn was dismissed during a meeting in his office with Allen after the team's cross-country flight following a 23-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers on Sunday. The Redskins finished 4-12.

Allen had interviewed Shanahan via phone Monday morning, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Redskins and Shanahan reportedly began talks last month, a day after Allen was hired.

Shanahan won two Super Bowls in 14 seasons with the Broncos. He was fired a year ago after Denver missed the playoffs for the third straight season.

One of Shanahan's first orders of business will be assembling a coaching staff, but first he will interview Washington's assistant coaches to see which ones he would like to retain. Once those coaches are interviewed, Shanahan will launch his search for the best and brightest.

Shanahan's son, former Houston Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, will be the Redskins new offensive coordinator.

Zorn was 12-20 over two seasons and lost 18 of his last 24 games after a 6-2 start in 2008. The Redskins struggled early this season despite a weak schedule and finished with their worst record since 1994.

"The status quo has to end," Allen said. "We have to change the way we've been doing some business. ... Last place two years in a row is not Redskins football."

Zorn's replacement will be Washington's seventh coach since Snyder bought the team in 1999. The Redskins are 82-99 on his watch, missing the playoffs in eight of 11 seasons.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years," Snyder said in a statement released by the team, "and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him, too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made."

Zorn's dismissal had been expected for months. The front office stripped him of his play-calling duties in late October, and Snyder interviewed assistant coach Jerry Gray for the job weeks ago, according to the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors minority hiring in the NFL.

Shanahan made the playoffs in half of his 14 seasons in Denver, although he had only two losing seasons -- 6-10 in 1999 and 7-9 in 2007. His greatest successes came early, with back-to-back Super Bowl titles after the 1997 and 1998 seasons with running back Terrell Davis and quarterback John Elway.

His career regular-season record is 146-98, including 138-86 with the Broncos from 1995 to 2008 and 8-12 with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1988-89. Shanahan's playoff record is 8-5.

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    shanarat might regarded as a rat. But he is a deviously good coach. Glad he's in the nfc. And with snyder. If anyone can ruin shanarat it would snyder.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I never though Shanahan was very good and neither do the majority of Donks fans. I went to a game in Denver in 2006 and every fan there said they wanted him gone.

I brought up "but he got you back to back Super Bowl titles."
    Their response was "no, John Elway did."

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Fast forward two years from today.

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The sad thing is that I can picture Cromartie saying something stupid like that too :lol:, but if he ends up a Skin, chances are that he will be making more than Haynesworth.

Almost a perfect mock, but it needs one part Brandon Marshall and one part old, overrated, past-his-prime running back...hmmmm, Thomas Jones? :tup:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    John Elway didn't play defense or call the plays, nor did he prep the team week in and week out.

Saying Elway won the Super Bowls and discrediting Shanahan is as myopic as suggesting the Chargers are 13-3 and riding an 11 game win streak "despite Norv".

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's what Denver fans were saying and for most part, I agree with them. Sometimes the coach is an impact and sometimes he isn't.

This the 94 49ers could have done it without Seifert? I do.
    Think the 95 Cowboys could have done it without Switzer? I do.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder how long it will be before no flammable liquids will be allowed in the same room with Shanny and Danny Boy? Snyder is a congenital meddler with the patience of a hungry weasel.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Glad he's far away and maybe he can lure some of those good Bronco players (the few they have) away to Washington

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I don't.

Steve Young and Troy Aikman didn't game plan for the team any more than John Elway game planned for Denver.

To suggest a team can win without it's head coach is extremely myopic.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Bruce Allen & The Rat will be a winning combo in DC.

Even lil' Danny's meddling a.ss won't be able to stop 'em from doing things the right way.

I hated Shanahan because he was the coach of the Donkeys. But the guy knows football and Allen is one of the sharpest salary cap & front office men around.

Watch out Jerrah... Washington is gunnin' for you.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    My point is that there are zillions of coaches who could have had the same success if given that opportunity and a zillion more that could have done better.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    How do you do better than winning the Super Bowl?

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Win it again next season.
    Keep them competitive for seasons to come.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    How is the next season relevant to what could have been done in the years you specified?

And George Seifert was 98-30 with the 49ers

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm sure a lot of coaches and players from Denver will go there...

I think that's a good thing...:tup:

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    zillions :lol:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I realize that but then he couldn't do anything in Carolina... including a 1-15 season.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    He also had Steve Beurlein and Chris Weinke as his QBs in Carolina. :lol:

It takes two things to get to the Super Bowl: Star talent and a competent head coach.

You don't get there with just one of those.

San Francisco had both, Carolina only had one. (the coach)

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Yep. Snyder wants to be better than Jerry.

Denver won the SB because they had Elway + Running game in TD and a good HC to run it. The Rat is a good coach, but his FA acquisitions and drafts are questionable.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jeezus... :lol:

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The Chargers appear to be the kiss of death for HC's in the NFL. This is the fourth straight year that their final opponent has fired their coach shortly after the last game of the season against the Bolts.

Dennie Green, Lane Kiffin, Mike Shannahan, and Jim Zorn.

So should be interesting when the 2010 schedule comes out.

23. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Seifert was a good coach. Switzer was tyro. Seifert helped develop the Niners beyond his first season as head coach. Switzer inherited a team even Mike Riley could win with. Teams require a good coach to win with over time. Switzer inherited a juggernaut and then let it fall apart. Dallas came back after Switzer. Neither of those teams had owners like Al Davis or Dan Snyder.

24. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Shame it wasn't the Pats.

25. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    PFT

Shanahan has final say in Washington

Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 8:54 PM ET

When Bruce Allen became the new General Manager of the Washington Redskins, owner Daniel Snyder proclaimed that Allen "has the authority."

"When we, when he, when the club makes a decision, it's a Redskins decision," Snyder said.

Folks who had been tracking the Shanahan rumors knew better.

Less than three weeks later, there's a new sheriff in town, and coach Mike Shanahan has the authority that Allen possessed on a short-term basis, like a library book.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, in addition to coaching the team, Shanahan will serve as executive Vice President of football operations. That's the same title Vinny Cerrato most recently held.

Schefter also reports that Shanahan, not Allen, now has the "ultimate authority" over football decisions.

And so the clumsily-kept secret is now out in the open. By all appearances, Shanahan and Allen were a package deal, with Allen coming through the door first and pretending to be in charge until Shanahan was hired.

Meanwhile, the Redskins interviewed no one else after the firing of Jim Zorn, turning the Rooney Rule upside down and creating a horrible precedent for its application in the future.

But, hey, the Redskins got the guy they coveted. The guy whose Broncos went 8-8 in 2008, just like the Redskins did. The guy whose Broncos went 7-9 in 2007, two games worse than the Redskins.

The guy who has won only one playoff game in the eleven years since winning a second straight Super Bowl with a team built largely by someone else, and held together in part by proven salary-cap violations for which the Broncos were fined nearly $2 million and stripped of two third-round draft picks.

So now that the Redskins got the guy they coveted, can someone explain to us why in the hell they coveted him?

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I realize he didn't have much to work with in Carolina but the best coaches can get the best out of a bad situation.

I think the absolute worst team I've ever seen was the Saints when they had Heath Shuler for QB and Mike Ditka for HC. I can't remember what year it was but they were absolutely horrible (talent wise). The best player they had was RB Mario Bates and he was solid at best.
    They finished at 6-10... considering they had 1-15 (or maybe even 0-16) written all over them, that was impressive.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is myopic a code word for retarded? :lol:

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol::lol::lol:

29. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Me too, especially the nfc east where he can steal attention from the the NFL's media darling, the cowgirls.

• Like Like x 1
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You're seriously going to define George Seifert's career by 3 years with an expansion team instead of his glory days in San Francisco where he won two Super Bowls, missed the playoffs only once out of 8 years, and never had a record worse than 10-6?

The 99 and '00 Panthers were also horribly talented and he managed 8-8 and 7-9 with them respectively. But yeah, that '01 team was horrible all together. Whatever.