1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shaun Phillips beasting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Oct 4, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Remember not too long ago when everybody here wanted to trade him for a sack of peanuts? :abq2:

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Just settled one assault lawsuit and has another one on deck. What was it about OFT issues keeping a player off our roster? Will it only become an "issue" when it's time to pay the man?

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Please provide details on the assault "settlement." Was this a civil or criminal proceeding? Was he convicted of a crime?

4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Does it matter? OFT should be OFT. Are we now going to determine the fine lines of acceptable OFT issues vs. not acceptable? And who sets the line for that? You?

He has been involved in multiple assault lawsuits. That should be all we need to know if we are being fair here. Once is an accident, twice a trend. Since it's the same offense.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Nope, Roger Goodell and the NFL personal conduct policy.

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Convenient.

Chris Chambers was let go for OFT issues. Atleast thats what CC said and the FO never denied. No one ever contact Roger Goodell about CC did they?

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  8. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Heres a link.

Chargers part ways with Chambers - SignOnSanDiego.com

Chambers felt it was because of OFT issues. Chargers FO basically confirmed it since they didnt deny it.

I love this quote from AJ Smith - How'd that Kassim Osgood emergence workout for letting CC go? Buster Davis? Better than CC? Please! and we payed BD how much to sit and rot for 3 years? Aj is obviously lying to everyone here as time proved.

“With the further development of Malcom Floyd … we felt that the time was now,” Smith said. “This situation has been discussed at great length for quite some time. The always capable Kassim Osgood and the continued good health of Buster Davis entered heavily into this decision.

Heres another link - Chambers sought legal help vs. ex-girlfriend - SignOnSanDiego.com

CC says that the Chargers expressed to him they were concerned about his OFT issues - "Ultimately, Chambers — who admitted the Chargers had told him they had concerns about his personal situation — was released Monday, during a season in which his production was significantly down. He was claimed by the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday.

Chambers, 31, said Monday that “I guess it created a distraction upstairs. ... They know a little too much of my life, and they used it against me"

Now you can call CC a liar, say he is making it up but they sure didnt release him because of Kassim Osgood or the emergence of Buster Davis...... did they???

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    AJ saying they discussed the situation for quite some time tells you exactly what the deal was. CC wasnt dropping passes for quite some time. He had a rough 3 game stretch. "Some time" in my mind would be the amount of time Buster Davis got to sit on the bench and not do anything - 3 years.

I think we can read between the lines here. He was either let go to save 3 mill or let go for OFT issues. You can pick which one makes sense to you.

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Floyd not Buster was the reason that they could release him.

"But, in a phone conversation after he was released, Chambers (who is recently divorced) said he believes some off-field issues played into his release – specifically a relationship with a woman sources on the team believed may have had a negative impact on his performance."

"Ultimately, Chambers — who admitted the Chargers had told him they had concerns about his personal situation — was released Monday, during a season in which his production was significantly down. "

Now the question is was his performance down because of the issues? Who knows? The fact that is performance was down is reason enough for his release.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    The way I remember the Chambers issue was that he had a very rough stretch where he was dropping passes and under-performing. M80 was waiting to take over that WR2 spot. The fact that he had personal issues may have led them to believe he was not going to pull himself out of a tailspin. It was a choice which made sense given our depth at WR last year.

Now, on the subject of this thread: Yes, SP is beasting right now. If he was playing bad and we were deep at LB, then maybe he would be in trouble, but neither of those is true. Next time he is going to have a contract negotiated he should be worth less to this team than if the 'file' of off field issues was thin. But right now? Don't really know how it is relevant.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Nope, I don't. I remember people being pissed off at what he said, something to the effect that "they or you can't do my job so just shut up" and no, I ain't looking it up.:bolt:

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Fair enough, and I can agree with your post but it brings up the question. Was CC's production less than Buster Davis? How about "the always trusty Kassim Osgood?". Neither of them had ANY production and were sited as contenders to CC's place on the team, not his slot number as one of our receivers.

So I can agree with you but it brings up a very odd scenario of underachievers taking a proven vets spot on a roster. Thats a big move. One that WOULD require talks in great length and I dont see a 3 game stretch of dropped passes (one of the games he made a HUGE catch for us) being enough to let a vet walk. Something else had to push them over the edge.

I think this ties into the 95 situation in that we are completely ok with a player having OFT issues as long as he performs. Thats all VJ has done - perform. But he was held over a fire pit to wiggle and burn while Aj laughed and held onto his rights.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

VJ's situation as to why he's not playing is completely different the 95's. I'm not going to go into it for the reasons that I'm sick to ******* death of talking about VJ but clearly a contract issue is the reason he's not playing but Off field stuff is why he wasn't signed to a long term deal. I personally wanna see more continued performance from SP before I go about calling him the best player on the D.

As for CC he was released because his off field crap affected his concentration and production and because we had M-80 and Naane waiting in the wings ahead of buster davis. osgood was never seriously thought of being a #2 receiver, you have been watching the chargers right? Watch the first four games before his release, clearly Chambers wasn't himself and he had numerous drops and missed routes. If OFT affects on the field performanec he's gone, no question.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Personally I wanted to get rid of him because of both off the field issues and that performance in the jets game, both infuriated me to no end. I'm glad NOW we didn't but he does that crap all over again I'll want him gone

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Gatdamn, when are you guys gonna stop feeding this troll?

He's turned another thread on the 2nd post. Once again, impressive.

17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Not for nothing but they did draft BD pretty high and I'm sure they still saw potential in him. I know it hasn't been a whole hell of alot but he has shown some decent stuff so far this year. So with VJ, MM, LN & AG.....CC became expendable and also saved the team some money. Just because CC made the claim that it was because of OTF issues doesn't make it so and does management really owe it to you, me or anyone else "why" he was released? No team is going to respond to every jilted player/coach accusations that are made. So to say they are guilty because of their silence is just ridiculous.

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    It's not rediculous given everything else AJ smith said. He said with the emergence of Buster Davis and the always trusty Kassim Osgood. Do we really believe that? I can believe M80 competing for the spot but thats what Aj is supposed to be about - 3 deep, let em compete. Thats not what played out here. Maybe I just want to believe the player over the corporation.

Hey, I'm just a fan trying to make sense of the filtered propoganda the team gives us. All of these "OFT" players are tied into one another because it is the team that sets the tone for what is acceptable and not. A teams standard or policy. I can show various degrees of inconsistency just in the dealings with these 3 players. That shouldnt be the case if every player is on an even playing field for personal conduct. I dont believe they are. Personal issues with the FO and performance, in that order have been the determining factors for what OFT issues are ok, and not.

19. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I didnt say they were considerations, Aj Smith did. I quoted him above. :)

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I was involved heavily in these debates and I recall many people wanting to get rid of him post haste.

I may look it up when I get home if I'm bored.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    We should have just pruned the bad posts out of the last one and made it a separate thread so he can have his playground without tarnishing the new ones.

Unless we ban him (which I'm not suggesting here) he's going to keep posting his opinions on matters in his style. (Whatever that may be, I'm trying to avoid classifying him as a good or bad poster because I'm focusing more on the point that a debate doesn't just go away because you lock a thread.)

• Like Like x 1
  22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    As far as I know, Phillips has never been convicted of a crime or been suspended for his off the field conduct. He also is not demanding a contract that would pay him 30 million guaranteed. All of these things factor into whether or not a player is worth the risk to have around.

No all Off the field issues are the same. Sure, it's better if a player does not have any. But to say that they are all equal is stupid.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I know you're right. I need to stop. Feed the troll, and the terrorists win.

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm guessing the Rolling Stone (or is that Start me up...?) wanna be won't be responding to this type of logic.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Big fan of CC in MIA then SD. BUT i cant think of anything about that quote that helps CC. CC broke up with his wife and married his longtime*longtime repeat restraining order* stalker. Now can you sit here and say CC is not crazy? His own words out of context crucify his own proven problems. No wonder he married a psycho stalker bitch, he was crazy all along.

Yes I can see multiple reasons why they felt they ddint need a vet WR. VJ emerged Legs was ready to as was Floyd AND aparently CBD. Also had alot of potential WRs in Banks on the PS. Which Id say the 3 have proven that we didnt need CC let alone VJ. CC was let go strictly b/c we had great WR depth and he was expendable at 2 mill for one more year. I wish we would have kept him till he retired with a well deserved ring, but now that prob isnt gonna happen for him. ALSO what really made CC expendable was how well Charlie Joiner had progressed our core of drafted players to that READY stage. IMO Floyd got tapped soonest at his peak and we all thought we got 2 VJs on this team. Legs has had the trouble of being a late draft and hanger on. He held on b/c they knew he had the skill worth waiting for. They could have tapped him heavier in 09, but I think they like years before were already stacked at WR and it was near impossible to see the 4th WR on field. VJs self ******* his '10 year: is imo my favorite thing about this new season.

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Does that include Merriman? I don't know for sure but I didn't think he was ever convicted of anything and yet folks want him gone and use HIS OTF issues as a reason.

27. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Chambers wasn't producing. He was let go. GAWD DAMN... next...

Love that Phillips had a great game. It's about time. Still if Phillips wants to keep it real he should send a case of champagne to the Chargers secondary for the coverage sack and to the Cards offensive line for the free shot at the QB. Not knocking his stellar play but this wasn't quite a Merriman-on-the-juice type of performance. He had some help... as he should have.

28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Seriously. This thread is embarrasing.

Focus people... Shaun Phillips. Good game against the Cardinals. Discuss...

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    And another thing.....You know what pisses me off? The Bolts had 9 "legit" sacks and you don't hear sqwuat about it on the sports shows. The fricken Gnats had 10 but how many were from the QB running out of bounds behind the LOS? And all the talk you here on the radio and TV was how great the Gnats defense played. If Phillips doesn't get defensive player of the week then something is seriously wrong!

30. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    100% WIN in this Post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. More please. :)