1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shaun Phillips, douchebag

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    you're a better man than SP BigMike :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    1. Why would Miami pay that much for him (draft pick)? He isn't worth a high 2nd, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd.

2. The reason Miami wanted to trade down was to recoup a 2nd rounder, after trading theirs for Marshall.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    SP's fate will be determined by what he does in training camp and in the preseason games. If he produces, he'll stay until he doesn't. If teams dumped guys just for saying stupid things, or the occasional bone headed mistake, there'd be a whole different set of winners and losers in the standings. You get rid of guys like Pac Man, maybe even guys like Rothlisberger. Guys like Phillips get tolerated if all they do is run their mouths. You can bet that the other guys in the locker room let him know what half wit he was. If someone shows better than him, then he becomes depth. Period. It's not for us to decide if he is a team cancer-only the guys in the locker room and the staff know that. I have tenants who act like jerks from time to time, but as long as they pay the rent and don't cause any major disruptions, they stay. As long as Phillips puts out on the field, he stays. That's the nature of the business. Anything else is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'd get rid of Buster before Phillips at this point in time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Straight up!

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    lol cuz i dgaf if im wrong or not, its a stupid argument we have here :lol:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yep. And this is why the deal should not have been made, IMO.

I'm onboard with Mathews now... but...

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Am I missing something here? Everyone was screaming bloody murder when we cut Rodney Harrison and he was one of the dirtyest players if not the dirtyest player during that time. How many times did we get 15 yard unsportsman like penalties at the most inopportune time because of him using his helmut?
    As far as the video that someone posted......I'm sure I am in the minority here but look at his feet at the end, he is moving backwards or came to a stop. The other guy took a hopstep and moved towrds SP. So for him to say he was defending himself.....well....I can see that. Do I agree with what he did? Not exactly but BIG FUGGING DEAL. If you folks seriously believe that that one play cost us the game you are crazy.
    Also, I have no idea if there is a history with SP or the reporter or I don't even know if it was asked that the play not be brought up in the interview and it was. So based on his play over the last few years I for one can look the other way. As long as he is producing......WGAF?
    As for "character issues" well, maybe AJ's meaning of it is different than most here. Other than that play, what other instances are there that warrant looking for his removal from the team?

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    And tell me how exactly you know that he didn't apologize to the team for that play? Doesn't he owe it to his teammates and not you? You hear all the time crap that goes on in lockerrooms that the public never hears about. Hell, look at what is coming out lately on how much the players can't stand Big Ben. So if he apologized to his teammates without you knowing I am assuming then that you are back on with SP?

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I don't think anyone really cares about the on field BS, SP usually holds his end of the bargain up. it's all the off field BS that is getting him in hot Do-Do.

10. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    What about Kaeding?:icon_shrug:

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Excuse me if I seem a little lost on this but what off field stuff? :icon_shrug:

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    His lack of being a Choir Boy. :yes:

:icon_rofl:

13. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    i guess thats what i was misunderstanding too about these arguments :icon_tease:

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I always thought you wanted a bad *** mean mother fuker playing defense with a little attitude? :icon_banana:

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I can't recall the exact incident but I do believe he was arrested for pissing in public and then again for beating on a woman or cop, I can't remember the facts. Telling fans where to get off and the sort. Being billy bad *** on the field is one thing, acting the fool in public is another. Hey, whatever float's your boat, right?

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Gee, I've pissed many of times in public coming out of bars but I guess I was lucky enough not to get caught by the cops. :icon_banana:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Wow, you're really cool dude. :tup:

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :no: Just young and stupid in my younger days.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Big difference between Harrison and Phillips. Rodney might have been considered "dirty" at times and did get penalized, but what Rodney did was always about trying to make a play. His penalties were generally over aggressive hits, while Phillips penalty was clearly after the play was over. Harrison wasn't known for talking **** on the field like Phillips is. Also, Harrison never twittered about his weekend partying with "diddy".

I agree that this one play didn't cost us the game, but it was a contributing factor. As far as the video, I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it's quite a reach to say Phillips was defending himself. It was a stupid penalty. I don't think it's right to crucify a guy for one stupid penalty, but with Phillips, I think this is just one thing on a long list of problems with this guy. It doesn't help that he is so indignant about it.

I listen to Darren Smith on 1090 all the time. Dude is completely level headed. In the days following the interview, he mentioned that he's never had any issues with Shaun Phillips. Yes, Phillips is still prodictive, but I think he's overrated by many Charger fans. He's an good edge rusher. He has a great first step. But, he's been shut down by some of the better tackles in the game and is a liability in coverage. I can't "look the other way", but I don't have a problem with him still being on the team. I just hope he's on a short leash. On the other hand, I wouldn't be disappointed if he was no longer on the team either.

It's AJ's choice whether Phillips remains on the team and it appears AJ isn't sending Phillips anywhere. If Phillips continues being a distraction, I hope some disciplinary actions are taken, even if that includes being released, traded, etc. Maybe his actions don't warrant removal from the team yet, at least not in AJ's eyes, but if you look cumulatively at all the distractions surrounding Shaun Phillips, you's have to be blind to not see the guy is a douchebag.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    great post Thumper :tup:

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I agree. Thumper is right on.

22. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Awesome post Thumper- you nailed it

23. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Shaun Phillips is also a fricken idiot. This was one of his tweets

"Do you think society makes it hardier or easier to love."

Notice how he wrote "Hardier" lol. Someone should've payed more attention in college.

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    or its a typo... people do it all the time. doesnt mean hes stupid and just because he tweeted it doesnt imply intention

25. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    Haven't seen anything. But you see it as I do. Don't like
    Shaun's verbal expressions but I like his defensive play.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    True, but the only reason Rodney didn't "tweet" about anything is that they didn't have "Twitter" back then! :lol:

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's crap! Twitter was around when Harrison played for the Patriots and he wasn't a tweet whore like SP. Do you really think Rodney Harrison spent his off time partying with "diddy"? :tdown:

28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    who cares about the pats?:icon_shrug:

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I got banned from the chargers.com board for a week because I called SP a twitter whore and saying twitter is for self promoting prima donna's.

Good to see we are allowed to speak the truth on this board

30. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Chargers.com is a joke. I have not logged on there since the middle of last season.