1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shaun Phillips

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Stoked he's getting his due.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9834812

Linebacker Shawne Merriman returns to the San Diego Chargers this week, and that's a big deal. But so was the return of linebacker Shaun Phillips three weeks ago and his reappearance didn't cause a blip on the national radar.

It should have, and I don't get it.

Shaun Phillips, the best linebacker nobody knows, deserves more attention than he's getting or has received. But he's at a disadvantage: He not only shares the same position as Merriman, he shares the same first name. Granted, it's spelled differently, but when fans get around to pronouncing San Diego's top linebackers they start and end with Merriman.

"That's OK," said Phillips. "I have no problem with it. It means nobody expects much from me."

Which is why we're having this conversation. Maybe people don't expect much from Phillips, but the guy is delivering. Big. Despite missing two starts with a calf injury he leads the AFC in sacks with a career-high 9.5 -- or one more than Merriman -- and leads the Chargers with five tackles for losses, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

"Shaun Phillips," said San Diego general manager A.J. Smith, "is a difference maker. He is a special, special talent who can rush the passer."

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pro Bowl Bookends anyone? We got 'em.:bolt: :tup:

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    7 forced fumbles in 2 years--and last year he was a part-timer. 4 forced fumbles already this year.

Merriman may be a force but Phillips is the guy who comes up big when we really need a play. It's like...when Merriman's on his game, we shut teams down. But Phillips is the guy who bails us out when nothing else is working.

4. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I was in a panic when he went down during the SF game.

The guy is a freak, and all he does is make plays. We need to ink this guy long term.

By the sounds of AJ's quotes, we have nothing to worry about.

On a side note, I bought a navy #95 during the Reebok Sale last week. Very happy about that, just thought I'd share. :lol:

5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    The two are gunna go off this weekend!!

6. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I can't wait to see this DL firing on all cylinders again...

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It sounds like Castillo will need another week. I would not rush it if I were him. The Bills pretty much suck.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    90% right? :icon_wink: That's what we agreed on.:lol:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    wonder what the colts and jags think about that

10. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    This could be one of the good weekends...starting thursday with a ravens lose, chiefs lose to the browns, denver loses to seattle and the colts losing to the titans.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yeah. And Elisha Cuthbert could crawl out from under my bed and give me a hummer...

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Like ive been saying for the past year, He is way too good to be sitting on the bench

Now people realize why i was hoping Foley would get benched this offseason

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not only does this guy make big plays he puts incredible pressure on the tackle and the QB. Even when he doesn't get a sack he forces the QB to start moving around which has led to several sacks for other guys. It's a trip to watch on TV because most of the time he's blowing by the guy trying to block him which also leads to more holding penalties.

Dude is the chiat. :tup: :bolt:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_tease:

15. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    what i like even more about him is that he is a great guy. hates attention and is humble... real nice guy.

Go Boilers!

16. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Hey, 1 out of 4 would be good.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Shaun Phillips getting major props!

Come on, throw a little love Phillips' way

By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Linebacker Shawne Merriman returns to the San Diego Chargers this week, and that's a big deal. But so was the return of linebacker Shaun Phillips three weeks ago and his reappearance didn't cause a blip on the national radar.

It should have, and I don't get it.

Shaun Phillips, the best linebacker nobody knows, deserves more attention than he's getting or has received. But he's at a disadvantage: He not only shares the same position as Merriman, he shares the same first name. Granted, it's spelled differently, but when fans get around to pronouncing San Diego's top linebackers they start and end with Merriman.

"That's OK," said Phillips. "I have no problem with it. It means nobody expects much from me."

Which is why we're having this conversation. Maybe people don't expect much from Phillips, but the guy is delivering. Big. Despite missing two starts with a calf injury he leads the AFC in sacks with a career-high 9.5 -- or one more than Merriman -- and leads the Chargers with five tackles for losses, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

"Shaun Phillips," said San Diego general manager A.J. Smith, "is a difference maker. He is a special, special talent who can rush the passer."

So why don't we know more about him? Well, first of all, there's that giant shadow cast by Merriman. Then there's Phillips' development. He wasn't a starter until linebacker Steve Foley bowed out this summer after that bizarre run-in with an off-duty cop. Finally, he wasn't a high draft pick. In fact, he wasn't even a first-day draft choice.

Nevertheless, when he played -- even as a sub -- he made things happen. I remember watching San Diego beat Denver in the rain in 2004 and some defensive lineman deflecting a Jake Plummer pass before making a marvelous finger-tip interception of the ball.

It was Shaun Phillips.

I also remember sitting down this summer with Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and talking to him about his next preseason opponent. It was San Diego, a club I'd just visited, and I was in the middle of telling him about the Chargers' front seven when Hasselbeck stopped me in mid-sentence.

"The guy who impresses me," he said, "is that number 95."

"You mean Phillips?" I asked.

Hasselbeck nodded.

"I don't know his name," he said. "All I know is that he gets after the passer. Man, is he talented."

Smith laughed when I recalled the story. It's nothing he hasn't heard.

"Shaun Phillips has always been in the eyes of coordinators, coaches and players," he said. "They know exactly who he is."

Maybe, but earlier this year Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow -- a guy who should've known better -- was talking about Merriman when he turned his attention to Phillips. Only he didn't mention him by name. He referred to him as "the other guy," as in the guy who's not Shawne Merriman.

The name stuck, with teammates playfully calling him "the other guy," but it's not only unfair; it's inaccurate. Phillips is nearly as important to San Diego's defense as Merriman and helped anchor the club when it pressed on without Merriman and defensive end Luis Castillo.

He had nine tackles last weekend against Oakland, including a sack and a half and a deflected a pass that was intercepted by teammate Quentin Jammer. He had sacks in each of the previous two games, too, and forced fumbles in both -- one of which helped turn a sure loss to Cincinnati into an improbable 49-41 victory and the other which stopped a last-gasp Denver drive.

"The guy is a big-time football player," said Smith. "He knows how to rush the passer. He knows how to bring the heat. He did it in college, and he's doing it now."

Only now it's people west of El Cajon who know who he is. So he's fourth in the league in sacks; national name recognition with the Chargers generally stops after LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates and Philip Rivers. Oh, yeah, and Merriman. For years, the Chargers thought they had one of the best defensive tackles in the business, but it wasn't until last year that Jamal Williams reached the Pro Bowl.

Phillips might be up against the same thing, though he'll benefit from increased exposure as the Chargers push for the playoffs. Getting there should be as easy for Phillips as it was for the Chargers when they made him the 98th pick of the 2004 draft.

"It was easy for all of us," Smith said of the draft pick. "No one man had to try to sell a player, as sometimes happens. It was obvious he was coveted."

The Chargers love speed pass rushers, and Phillips was one at Purdue where he set a school record for sacks. But NFL scouts questioned his size at defensive end and didn't have a conviction about him as a linebacker. So clubs passed, with San Diego only too grateful to make him its fourth-round choice.

Smith didn't care about Phillips' size. All he cared about was his ability to reach the quarterback and disrupt the pocket. If he could do it, he was interested; if not, he'd pass. I think we know what happened.

"It's one thing to have speed," Smith said, "but it's another to know how to bend the corner, have an explosive change of direction and know how to get to the quarterback, point A to point B. He's always made his presence known when he's playing, and he's gotten a lot of attention for it locally. But there's not much out there nationally."

That'll change. And it should change soon.

"Yeah, it's important to me," Phillips said of name recognition. "That's why I'm out there working every day. That's why I work with Shawne. He's one of the 'name' players; someone everyone knows. I want that same kind of love. Maybe one day, if I stay healthy, people will know me."

They can start now.

LINK

18. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
  19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
  20. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Come on, throw a little love Phillips? way

I read this article on sportsline too

PHILLIPS with 2L we all support you

SHAUN and SHAWNE spoken out in German language
    ist like SCH├ľN that means beautiful, superbe
    and this is like the two of us play football.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  21. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Shaun Phillips getting major props!

Yep and he deserves all of this

• Like Like x 1
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Come on, throw a little love Phillips? way

we give phillips lots of love here anyway

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I saw Foley in training camp and he was bigger and stronger than I ever saw him. He was also showing some speed to get around the corner that I hadn't seen before. If Foley hadn't of been shot I believe he would have had a career year. That said I also realized at the time that Phillips needed to be get more playing time.

Losing Foley wasn't a good thing, but it has allowed Phillips to shine. And when Phillips went down with the calf injury, it allowed Marques Harris to shine. Harris has to much talent to be burried as far downthe depth chart as he was. That kid can be a playmaker.

I thank the football gods (aka AJ Smith) that we're blessed with such depth that we could lose Foley, not to mention all the other injuries we've had in our LB corps this year. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Having Foley would have added to that rotation... Depth is never a bad thing.

That said, Shaun has done nothing but make plays since he has been here. He is a pass rushing fool and a QB's nightmare.

He and Merriman compliment each other PERFECTLY.

25. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm just proud that you actually read my post instead of skim it. :yes: :icon_tease:

26. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Thanks fer givin props to my adopted son. I am glad we have him for depth and roatation. He is a playmaker. :icon_banana: :bolt: :icon_banana:

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Oceanside public school system & Bakersfield public school for last last year & a half of high school. I'm highly edumacated!!! :icon_huh:

edit:
    Shout Outs to my schools: El Camino High School, Oceanside, CA - West High School, Bakersfield, CA

28. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Besides, nobody can do the "flip" like Harris. Seriously he is a playmaker. :tup: