1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shawne Merriman: Creating a Perspective

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    By Forrest Overin

Shawne Merriman isn’t bashful. He makes bold statements, and makes them without a trace of arrogance. He just speaks his mind in the full belief that he’ll be able to go out on the field and back those words up with his play.

A few weeks back, Shawne made one of those comments, saying something along the lines of considering himself to be “better than Junior Seau”.

This statement rubbed some people the wrong way, because Seau is, pretty much without question, a future Hall of Famer, who played-- and STILL plays-- with a very Merriman-like intensity and passion. Junior’s fans will also point out that Seau has been doing this in the NFL for some 14 years longer than Shawne has.

When asked again about his comments, Merriman reiterated that he means no disrespect to Junior Seau, or the accomplishments of his career. He explains that he is just expressing confidence in his ability, and in the commitment he possesses to maximize his game.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2006/09/shawne_merriman_creating_a_per.html

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I think the notion that Seau was not instinctive is a little ridiculous. The guy might have spent too much of his time trying to guess the snap count, but he had great instincts for a linebacker.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Agreed. Seau was a great linebacker, and is still better than some.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah if they are dead. :icon_mrgreen: :bolt: :foley53: :bolt:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    :lol: C'mon that is not nice. He still has skills, besides remember... Old age and treachery will beat youth and vigor every time! :lol:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Seau is reminding me of Muhammed Ali at the end.

Dude needs to retire but their egos will not let them and then it becomes embarassing and pathetic. Junior just got fined for a late hit or a hit to the legs of a QB in the last game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    I do agree that he should have stayed retired.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    If thats true, what does that say for the state of the Patriot LB Corps if he's starts??:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_mrgreen:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    brett favre needs to as well
    but I like that drive by Merriman to be the best in Bolt history, i like guys whos trive to be the best at what they do, they're guys like me

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    FO should have stayed retired :icon_rofl:

11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Nice article.

I would agree that it makes more sense to compare Merriman and O'Neal, than Merriman and Seau.

Man, O'Neal put up better numbers that I had remembered!

Too bad the years he played with the team were, mostly, part of such a dismal era.

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I remember O'Neal more for his "whatever" attitude than for his play. He wasn't the most warm and fuzzy chap.

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    True. He was very into "what works for Leslie".

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I generally like what Forrest has to say, but comparing Merriman to O'neal makes absolutely no sense. Leslie was the classic 4-3 DE, an edge rusher on every play. Merriman is a LB. He drops into zone and covers TE and RBs 1 on 1, in addition to rushing the passer.

With today's zone blitz schemes, 4-3 ends will occasionally drop into zone, but in Leslie O'neal's era, that almost never happened.

Plus, Leslie O'neal was a selfish jerk, nothing at all like Merriman. Shawne is the leader of the defense, a team first guy who's all about winning.

15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    True..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Sorry, I have to rep this post...