1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shawne Merriman may never suit up for the Bills

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 22, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Shawne Merriman may never suit up for the Bills

Posted by Mike Florio on November 22, 2010, 6:18 PM EST

In his first practice as a waiver-claim member of the Buffalo Bills, linebacker Shawne Merriman suffered a lower leg injury.

Asked whether Merriman will practice this week as the two-wins-in-a-row Bills prepare to host the Steelers, coach Chan Gailey was blunt.

“Don’t see that,” Gailey said, per Joe Buscaglia of WGR radio, “I don’t see that this week.”

Asked whether Merriman will play at all in 2010, Gailey didn’t have a clear answer.

“I don’t know, that’s a good question,” Gailey said. “I think that would be something that I would have to address each and every week to see where he is and see what the doctors say and see what’s going to happen with that. I don’t know that yet.”

With only six games to play, it looks like there’s a good chance that Merriman never will play for the Bills.

Shawne Merriman may never suit up for the Bills | ProFootballTalk

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
  3. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Why is a San Diego sports writer writing about a player in Buffalo?

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Mike Florio is not a San Diego writer.

5. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Ah. My mistake. ;)

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I see a pattern here,

player A gets a deal he doesn't like, fakes injury, gets cut, signs with new team for big bucks (Wash, Oak), gets huge contract (Oak, Wash), sucks, out of league in two years.

Moss, Merriman, who's next

7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Why is a Jets fan on a Chargers forum?

• Like Like x 1
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    good catch. :lol:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd love to be offered a cool 3 mil for doing nothing.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Very well played.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Won't matter. Looks like LEU is banned...AGAIN.

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Damn, I really wanted to see his response.

"OMG 8-2!!!11!1! LOLZ"

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Damm this sucks. I hope he finds some way this get through all of this.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If I was in Buffalo, I would be asking the NFL Players Association what their take on this is, because Buffalo is on the hook for the rest of Merrimans salary, and I would be screaming up a storm about getting ripped off!!!

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Still no timetable on Buffalo LB Merriman's injury

Still no timetable on Buffalo LB Merriman's injury

Shawne Merriman is expected to miss a third straight week of practice, and there are concerns of whether the former star linebacker will suit up for the Buffalo Bills at all this season.

Coach Chan Gailey expressed that concern Monday in all but formally ruling out Merriman from playing Sunday, when the Bills (2-8) play host to Pittsburgh (7-3). Gailey says he's not received any timetable on when Merriman will be cleared for practice since aggravating a right Achilles' tendon injury two weeks ago.

The injury occurred in Merriman's first practice with the Bills, a week after being claimed off waivers from San Diego.

Offensive guard Eric Wood's status is uncertain after he bruised his left leg in a 49-31 win at Cincinnati on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5817231&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

The Buffalo Bills have ruled out running back C.J. Spiller, defensive end Spencer Johnson and linebacker Shawne Merriman for Sunday's game at Cincinnati, a team official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Spiller, the team's No. 1 choice in the 2010 draft, and Johnson were injured in the Bills' win over the Lions, their first after eight straight losses to open the season.

Spiller said Monday he was hurt when planting his foot to brace himself as he was pushed out of bounds after a 29-yard punt return. Johnson was hurt in the second half.

Merriman was hurt in his first practice with the team last Wednesday, a week after being claimed off waivers from San Diego.

again, what a dik :bolt:

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I have always been a 56 fan and I wish him all the best, but I am relieved he is no longer a Charger.

18. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I was a fan of merriman till he choked on steiroids. Now he's draggin' another team. Sad. PHD will kill a rep and body. Why anyone would trust in thum is beyond me.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I never knew those mangina injuries were so tough to come back from----

Merriman not sure when he'll play - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman said Friday he needs to give his sore Achilles tendon enough time to fully heal, and he does not know how long it will take.

"It's coming along, but it's still the same situation it was a few weeks ago. Just wait and see what happens," Merriman said after the Bills' practice.

"My main thing is just to get it healthy. It's been there for a year. I haven't had many other problems other than that. It's been there constantly -- on and off -- for a year now, and I never really had a chance to take care of it. I've been pretty healthy the last couple of years -- other than that. It's unfortunate, but I have to get it taken care of."

Merriman has been inactive the past three weeks since being claimed off waivers from San Diego. He is out for Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

Coach Chan Gailey said this week it's possible Merriman will not be able to return at all this season.

Merriman said he's thankful for the support he has received from the Bills' medical staff, coaches and front office.

"They've given me all the support in the world, and I'm appreciative of it," he said. "They know what kind of player I can be and how I can affect things. But not being healthy is not helping anybody."

20. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    He needs to take off the uniform for the season and take care of the Achilles.....it certainly won't heel with him practicing or playing anything where the tendon needs to be strong to work without pain....if he has surgery, the calf muscle may get shortened a tad, and that will need extra rehab...tough spot to be in....injuries that necessitate surgery to anything to do with a foot is serious for any athlete....they are slow to heal and tough to rehab.

21. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
  22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Bills send Shawne Merriman to injured reserve

Posted by Evan Silva on November 27, 2010, 2:29 PM EST
    The Bills have given up the ghost.

Linebacker Shawne Merriman became a Bill on November 3, when the team claimed him off waivers from the Chargers. He’ll likely finish his Bills “career” without a single appearance, as Merriman was placed on season-ending injured reserve Saturday, the team announced.

The injury that ended Merriman’s season was described as a strained Achilles’ tendon.

Just four days after the waiver claim was executed, FOX Sports’ John Cznarnecki reported that Merriman “definitely won’t be re-signing in Buffalo.” Merriman is scheduled for free agency in 2011.

Merriman played in three games for the Chargers earlier this season, tallying six tackles and no sacks. He’s recorded just four sacks since the end of the 2007 season, and will hit the open market next spring having appeared in only 18 of a possible 48 games.

The Bills also placed special teamer/linebacker Keith Ellison on injured reserve. In corresponding moves, rookie receiver Naaman Roosevelt and linebacker Thomas Williams were signed off the practice squad.
    Bills send Shawne Merriman to injured reserve | ProFootballTalk

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    so the bills paid him almost 2 Million for one practice. I am in the wrong business, I'll do it for half that much, a million dollar savings.

24. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    It looks to me he is a grifter until he gets with a team he likes.

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think he is out of the NFL. Unless there is a team willing to gamble on him.