1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shawne Merriman Talks Politics, Parties, and Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    By Laura Lane
    January 27, 2009

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman may have spent most of the NFL season on the sideline recovering from reconstructive knee surgery to repair torn knee ligaments, but his knee was looking better than ever when he hit the dance floor in Washington DC for inauguration.

Merriman, who made sure to pencil in training time in between the parties, was just one of many celebrities (Magic Johnson, Tiger Woods to name a few) who were out in full force to celebrate Obama's inauguration.

Merriman took sometime to chat with us at the American Scholars Ball on Jan. 17 about his celebrity-filled inaugural weekend, getting into politics and his pick on the surprise Super Bowl matchup.

Laura Lane: What did the inauguration mean to you?

Shawne Merriman: A lot of people here, including myself, like to be a part of history. For me, as a black athlete, I won’t get a chance to experience something like this, so I felt the need to come out here and be a part of a lot of the events going on.

LL: Have you met Barack Obama yet?

SM: No, I haven’t yet. I have spoken with him. He’s a big fan of mine.

LL: He called you up?

No actually his Chief of Staff did. And I’m a big fan of his. And I know he likes football and stuff. I’m a big fan of his and the things he’s about to do for the country.

LL: What was it like getting that phone call?

SM: Well actually they wanted me to be a part of a PSA that was going on and I wasn’t able to do it because I wasn’t in the country, but I regret it now because I really wanted to do it. I was with him in spirit even though I didn’t do it.

LL: Who’d you come out to DC with?

Other players who play in the league, Vernon Davis came out here with me, Wale, he plays for the Chicago Bears. Like three or four guys came out.

LL: Tell me about your schedule during the weekend?

Well of course I’m working out during the day but I’ll go to events like this (at night) and a few balls. I went to see Jay-Z perform on Friday (Jan. 16). It was cool, man. I’m a big fan of his as well.

He came out for similar reasons as I did, to be a part of history. He was performing at Love Night Club. I went to Josephine’s. A good friend of mine owns the club so I went to Josephine’s for a little bit.

LL: What celebs did you meet at the inauguration?

Well I mostly know everybody just about, Mary J. Blige, Jay Z, who else? A bunch. Akon just walked in. I met him for the first time. The mayor here in D.C. (Adrian Fenty), we got a chance to speak a while about me coming back and being a part of the city again.

Real cool guy and I’m going to get back here and do some more stuff in the city.

LL: Did you used to be really involved?

SM: Oh yeah, I have an annual poll drive back here at the University of Maryland every year.

LL: The Super Bowl - Steelers vs. Cardinals. Who you got?

I got to go with the Steelers. I’ve got to go with the more physical team. I think they’re going to pull it out at the end of the day.

LL: Did you ever think Arizona would make it to the Super Bowl?

Not a chance. And I don’t think that anybody who would say that, can honestly say they thought that Arizona was going.

LL: No dice.

Right. Nope. Not even close. But I’m happy for them. I’ve got a bunch of friends that play on the Cardinals and I’m happy to see them get as far as they did.

LL: Will you go to Tampa this year to watch the game?

Won’t be there this year. I said if I wasn’t playing in it this year, I wasn’t going this year.

LL: So are you a ‘sit at home on your couch’ kind of guy or will you be at a sports bar?

I’ll have a few friends over. We’ll watch the game. I kind of break down film as I’m watching the game so I can’t watch as a fan, I’ve got to watch it as a player.

LL: Do you have a special recipe you cook at your shindig?

Whatever my chef likes to cook.

LL: Oh, okay, so you don’t cook. No Merriman special chili?

Uh, uh. I got a chef. I’m a pasta guy. I love pasta.
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Aug 17, 2006
    Good stuff.

Lets get another merriman type at d-end. A better saftey and guard and time to win a super bowl. :yes:

Chargers are so close to kicking every teams butt. Next year would be a really good year to do it.