1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sherman goes "Gangsta".

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Chargers could use a guy with that type of attitude and the talent to back it! If it was 30 minutes after the game, I'd say he was a jerk...but just after making a game winner play...I'm fine with it. I think Arin Andrews handled it well...the Fox folks behind the scene chocked on it!

I also think Sherman knows exactly what he is doing...he played it well!

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    No, HE got punched by a Redskin:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Sorry son, but I don't rely on Wikipedia alone. I get my facts the old fashioned way : I do actual research. :p

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I was just tweekin ya.:)

But seriously brash individuals like that don't typically come from Stanford. That's where you get the Andrew Lucks, Toby Gerharts and Jonathan Martins of the world.

5. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    The self-negotiation going well to ease the pain? Teach Conctroll that trick

• Old Old x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    thanks for the clarification CBF

7. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    lol

8. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I actually enjoyed the interview since it was apparently warranted (Crabtree was being a punk and had a history of trash-talking Sherman) and it was clearly just in the heat of the moment. But it seems like every other NFL-related place on the Internet is completely hating on Sherman. I thought I was alone, but then I come here and finally see some other people who are also looking at the situation objectively instead of acting like Sherman is some evil thug. I love this board lol.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Why are you trying to start something?
    Are you bored?
    Do you need attention?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    its what trolls do...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    As the Chief Mod of this awesome place, I can tell you that most of us are objective. Because we do welcome all thoughts and never censor or ban, we do allow a diversity of opinion here, so though it sometimes might look uninviting and cliquish, we do pride ourselves on being a hospitable place where everyone is welcome to the tailgate!

12. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Conctrollific!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Listen if your gonna talk **** you better back it up. And Sherman backs it up as much as anyone in the game except maybe Steve Smith. I say talk all you want if you can back it up. No one can fault you if you prove your **** talking accurate. Sherman is making game changing plays during the biggest games at the biggest times. That being said he does sound like a thug. Of course when we had our own thug (Steve Foley) I loved the guy. He was mean and ugly and looked ready for a drive by shooting at any time, but man could that guy hit and intimidate. Anyone else think Sherman sounds like Busta Rhymes little brother?

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Not sure what you mean by the bold part.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Let's be honest here... It's redicilous to assume Sherman doesn't trash talk every WR in the league, it's his persona. So if Crabtree gives it back then so be it, he's a pretty good player himself.

As for Sherman's "attempted hand shake" as he called it, looked like the type of taunting you see all the time after a pass breakup. You can't blame people for not taking Richard Sherman (who seems to be the new Deion) at face value.

Just my opinion, I can't buy his act of purest innocence, because nothing about this surprised me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Sherman was mic'd up and from what I've found out, he did offer up the "good game" handshake and Crabtree poked him in the face. Look for it on SoundFX on NFL Network or Turning Point on NBC Sports Network this week.

It's very clear that Crabtree & Sherman HATE each other. If Seattle wins the SB and opens up the season on a Thursday night, I'll bet it's vs. San Francisco.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    "Let's be honest here"...heads are exploding:mad:

18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Best CB in the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +501
    No one is objective (true objectivity can never be achieved).
    We're all subjective, we're just not all diqueheads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I hadn't seen that, thanks. But still you can see how how a competitor (much less two guys who hate each other) still might take it the wrong way when it happens just seconds after the play.

I don't care for either player honestly, but I think Sherman knew he was baiting Crabtre, which probably makes his little WWE rant seem worse to me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    This is a pretty lax debate actually. Do you have an opinion on it or are you just content with proving Concudan right about you?

22. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Can you imagine how much people would hate the Chargers if Rivers and Sherman were on the same team?

Either way, I didn't mind the interview one bit. Did he go overboard a bit? Yeah, sure. He could've toned it down a bit and given the crowd a knowing and cocky smile instead. But am I going to be up in arms about the situation and calling Sherman a "thug?" No way.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I'm with Riff on this. I don't much care for Sherman, but it has little to do with me not liking trash talk. Hell, in both sports that I played growing up (one of them all the way up to the college level), I was one of the most confrontation SOB's on the field - and had to explain to my own mother more than once that it was largely a heat of competition thing with me after she overheard me openly threatening guys on the field in defense of my teammates... sometimes earned, sometimes not.

I don't care for fake people one bit and based off of what I've seen from following Sherman over the past several years, so much of his act seems completely contrived and put-on. He's quite literally being the "troll" of the football field. Does his play on the field backup his claims? Most of the time. That backs up the trash-talk, sure. But I've seen people (not here, but all across the net) accusing him of having "little man complex," or "compensating for something" on the grounds that the best don't need to tell others that they're the best, they show it.

But stop and consider that even before Sherman entered the discussion, did casual football fans/viewers really know Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha from the majority of other cornerbacks if said player wasn't a member of their team? Hell, the average football fan doesn't really have much of a basis for determining who "the best" at a position like cornerback is because "the best" cornerbacks (like Sherman, like Scrabble in his day, like Revis) rarely get thrown at, thus rarely get their names mentioned in broadcasts or box scores. The most recognizable cornerback in NFL history is the guy who yes, made a good amount of splash plays (largely INT's but also returns), but who also branded himself: "Primetime," "The Playmaker."

Do I think he wants to be labeled "the villain?" No. Do I believe he's openly willing to do things that could earn him that label in order to establish a brand and increased the recognition of the name Richard Sherman? Hell yes. It's Modern Marketing 101. If people aren't talking about you, you're not worth as much. He's savvy, I grant him that. But a lot of this strikes me as an act. Strangely, I'd like him a lot better if I thought he actually bought into and wanted to be this villain, "hate on me" persona. While TO was also delusional, one of the reasons I loved him was because the guy really was that full of himself that he didn't believe anyone could cover him.

• Like Like x 2
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    You're on point as usual LBC, good job.

I agree I don't think he's a thug, or an idiot, but the all the constant trash talking, then the interview, and then playing like he's innocent makes him look like an ***.

With that in mind "Primetime" was an astronomical *** too, so was Michael Jordan at times, but just because you don't like him or his persona doesn't mean you wouldn't want him to play for your team. That athletic arrogance is absolutely part of what makes a lot of great players great.

...but still there's is something to be said for handling yourself with class once the game is over, the way LT did it.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Interesting question to bring up: If these two have beef and "hate" each other as much as some outlets are trying to sell us (mind you, a lot of these media outlets have been trying to sell this 49ers/Seahawks rivalry as the new Ravens/Steelers now that many of the components of the Ravens/Steelers rivalry of old are well... old and in some cases retired or retiring - so taking anything at face value isn't necessarily a great idea), but if these two really do hate each other, then why would one of them go up to the other to shake hands and offer consolations unless it was to try and bait the other? There are plenty of players on the opposing team you can shake hands with and say good game to, why is the first guy Sherman goes to the guy he claims he's had beef with for over a year? Isn't that poking the proverbial hornets nest at the very least?

Like I said, I don't think there's a move made by Sherman that isn't done with purpose and in many cases forethought: His press-exchange spats with Harbaugh early on in his rookie year, dubbing himself "Optimus Prime" in the presser leading up to a 2012 game against Calvin Johnson and the Lions, going on First Take to troll ESPN's resident troll Skip Bayless, taunting Tom Brady on Twitter and in their 2012 game and post-game, calling out AJ Green and calling him "overrated;" almost every time he goes after someone where he initiates the confrontation it's someone high-profile that's going to get his antics more pub and his name greater recognition.

• Like Like x 1
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Well, until he was released at least. I love LT to death, but he acted like a bitter ex-girlfriend so much after he left that I'm shocked he didn't try to key AJ's and Norv's cars.

Like I said, I'd actually have a lot more respect for him if I didn't think he was "putting on" this whole I'm a huge prick persona - possibly in no small part because so many greats are monumental pricks (beyond just Jordan, Prime, you've got Kobe, all the Andrettis, Favre, Money Mayweather, de la Hoya, Ali, McEnroe, the list goes on and on and certainly isn't limited to football - hell, Babe Ruth was a massive jerk). I'm a proud prick myself, that's probably why I like guys who own their prickness. I just get the feeling that Sherman's is massively manufactured for personal gain - much like the guy he openly mocked on ESPN: Skip Bayless or a radio personality like Tom Leykis.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I try never to think of LT post Chargers.

...Pete Rose, Lawrence Taylor, OJ Simpson, Pedro Martinez, Diego Maradona, Cristiano Ronaldo, TIGER WOODS...we could go on forever.

I'm happy to say I think Keenan Allen might have a touch of it too, he believed in his own greatness from day 1 and thought he should've been starting. But thankfully he seems the quiet type off the field.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hallelujah, we got ourselves a Tim Duncan... I won't go so far as to compare him to John Stockton who was relatively reserved off the court but still a gigantic buttplug. Only guy I ever saw get under Chris Mullins' skin - and Chris Mullin was about as excitable as a stoned sloth.

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Sherman will always have a special place in my heart for his epic takedown of that douchecanoe Skip Bayless.

As for him trash talking every receiver in the league, we don't need to assume anything. Larry Fitzgerald is a receiver in the league. And he's got nothing but good things to say about Sherman. He says that Sherman almost never says anything to him on the field. But that's because Fitz doesn't talk trash. He says if you don't talk smack, Sherman stays pretty quiet. But if you start trash talking, he will give it back 10 times worse.

There's alot more to the Sherman/Crabtree feud than what happened on the field. According to Sherman's brother, Sherman and Crabtree were both at an event last offseason for Larry Fitzgerald's charity. Sherman went up to Crabtree and tried to shake his hand. Crabtree responded by trying to start a fight with Sherman. At the time, Sherman told Crabtree he was going to pay him back on the field and let the whole world know about it. I'm sure Sherman was reminding Crabtree about that when he went up to shake his hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Get off the kids back, if you don't like whats going on don't view it!. Fox is just trying to sell minutes and the replaying of Bowman's injury was much worse. I'm sure If Sherm had Blessed everyone it would have been pulled directly to an alternative interview.