1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at AZ/OAK game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    No details on the who/why that I've seen, but shooter in custody and reports are victim has life threatening head injury.

Coincidence? Or Raider fan status quo?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I don't know, but I saw a Zonie yesterday wearing a "Don't Mess With The Cardinals Or I'll Peck Your Eyes Out" t-shirt over in Old Town. Those must be some really bad hombres...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I hate to stereotype, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the fan with the gun was a Raider fan.:raiderssuck:

Hey Syd, do you know if it was in the stadium or in the parking lot?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Parking lot it sounds like.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    30 year old man shot in face. Now in stable condition.
    Happened during 3rd quarter of game, outside in parking lot
    near Hampton Inn. Previous altercation, led to shooting apparently.

Fools with guns.:mad:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Look for new NFL rules shortly...

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    As of 9 am PDT details are still few:

A) Yes, definitely in the parking lot, during 3rd quarter
    B) Nothing published re. either man's allegiance to a particular team
    C) Both men Arizona residents
    D) Shot in face, initially looked pretty bad, later: probably not life threatening
    E) Yes, shooter evidently made no effort to flee

Ignore This Please.jpg
    p.s. I include the cartoon not because I oppose guns, but because I'm disappointed in the
    lack of intelligent discussion re. the role guns play in our society...(see "Summer of 2012")

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Rather lax gun laws in Arizona. I'm all for lawful gun ownership, but it's a whole different kind of thing in Arizona.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm curious why we don't see demands for knife control when there's a parking lot stabbing, or "big guy" control when there's a parking lot beating...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    When was the last time you saw a mass killing with a gun or a "big guy"?
    The reason people flip over guns is because guns such as "assault rifles"
    are designed for killing other humans..and lots of them. I dislike making this
    argument since it's a touchy subject, but imagine if the shooter in the theater
    did not have an assault rifle.
    Now imagine if he only had a knife. Massive stabbing? You'll never hear of it.
    Knives and "big guys" don't have the ability to kill a crowd of people.
    Parking lot stabbings or beatings can happen anywhere, not just a parking lot.
    A demand for knife or "big guy" control is silly.
    Hope this answers your question.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The shooter in the theater was an idiot. He could've killed all of the people in the theater by throwing a few molatov cocktails in the theater and leaving. Total cost to him, maybe 12 bucks, and alot more people would've been injured/killed. I really wish he had too, because then we wouldn't be having this ridiculous national discussion about gun control. Deranged people who want to kill other human beings will find a way to do so. As I recall, the kids at Columbine had exactly 0 automatic weapons and killed 26 people. I believe that the Virginia Tech shooter did the same thing with 2 semi-automatic handguns, i.e. your standard 9mm.

Also, assault rifles are no different from normal rifles in terms of how many people they were designed to kill (1 at a time). The difference is that an assault rifle is easier to reload, takes less time to reload, and has the additional capability of providing suppressing fire in a combat situation. The individual in Aurora would've been more effective with a shotgun than with his staccato weapon's fire. Thank God he was such a complete moron as to attempt to take out a theater full of people with an assault rifle.

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You really wish he had killed everyone in the theatre with a fire bomb... Just so you could avoid a gun control discussion? :eek:

Sorry, but that's the most insane thing I've ever heard you say. I don't care if it was a poor attempt at humor...... that's just plain sick. :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
  14. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    spoons-made-me-fat-fQbbc.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Back on topic, if the shooter wasnt a Raider fan, he will be converted in prison anyway....

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I mean no disrespect to any of you but why can Americans never see that stronger gun control laws would lead to less shootings. How can you not see a problem with easy access to assault rifles and toss it aside as "oh well they'll find a way regardless?" I do NOT understand this sense of entitlement towards owning something designed to kill many people in a short amount of time. Why do you feel so threatened by the thought of your machine designed specifically for killing being taken away?

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The theater shooters assault rife stove piped and was useless to him, he used a 9mm hand gun that's why more victims didn't die. Guns don't kill on their own accord, people set out with that purpose in mind and a s far as I know fully automatic weapons are not legal to own in the general population. Gun control is not the answer to this problem, guns don't make stupid decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Maybe the most interesting part is the majority of Americans willfully pretending that
    drunk, middle-school dropout cousin Ernie is "a well regulated militia" just so we never
    address the fast growing pile of bodies of innocent Americans who dared to go see a movie, etc....

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's the same people who sue the schools for spanking little Johnny because they don't control him at home and turn him loose on society that don't have a clue. As noted above, there are plenty of way to kill and maim people without the use of a gun. Cars are involved in more deaths than guns so they should also be banned using the same gun control thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Since no one has EVER argued that everything (cancer? jogging? cholesterol?) that kills people
    should be banned, I'm going to assume that the absurdity of your weak anology is just a joke,
    so I won't bother listing all the ways that guns are materially different from cars...

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    More people are killed by cars than guns in the US, what's absurd is to deny the facts. Jr. Seau took his own life but it's still in the category of death by firearm even though he squeezed the trigger. Automobiles are just 3500 lb projectiles, you can lie to yourself all you want but people are to blame not the instrument used.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    This is what I mean, why is everyone so threatened at the thought of losing something SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO KILL PEOPLE. What are you losing? Why do you need a gun? The difference between banning cars because the cause more deaths is that guns do not have another purpose other than causing death.

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    OMG! You were SERIOUS?!? Uh, ha-ha...ok. I figured anyone over 8 knew why the
    role of guns in this society can't be (seriously) compared to cars. If you really need a lesson,
    I guess I can provide it (later...I'm on my way out for the evening now)...but if you absolutely
    insist I do, you can't get mad at me for talking down to you...I really can't pretend otherwise.

But, honestly, it would be a whole Hell of a lot easier to respect your intelligence
    if you'd just say you were kidding and move on.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Yeah you're right, there is no such thing as ROAD RAGE, I laugh in your face! How pathetic, go hug a tree.

26. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    I also mean no disrespect, but the answer to your question, "why can Americans never see that stronger gun control laws would lead to less shootings?" is that it is very debatable that stronger gun laws would lead to less shootings. Additionally, the ultimate goal of gun control supporters that most 2nd Amendment rights supporters fear most is on display in your second question, "Why do you feel so threatened by the thought of your machine designed specifically for killing being taken away?" and it leads me to ask would you support a total ban on all guns for the general public?

27. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    I think the agrument is actually fairly straight forward.

Is your cheif concern with the guns laws as they stand that they lead to a unnecessary loss of innocent life?

Are you equally concerned with other laws (or lack there of) that lead to loss of innocent life?

We all know that stronger auto safety laws would lead to less highway deaths (and that the numbers are staggering in comparison to deaths involving guns) but we are unwilling to pay the expense and suffer the inconvenience to implement such laws. We, as a society, accept the risks and enjoy the freedom that comes with easily obtainable car ownership and operation.

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So I think my initial impression was correct. Most people who talk about wanting 'intelligent discussion' are often just looking for people to agree with them.

And when they dont they get the 'talking down' to... Props for continuing the status quo.

29. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I credit owning a gun with protecting my 2 daughters and wife from some whack job who tried coming through the door at 1:00 am one night held him till the cops arrived!

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Why Americans shouldn't want stronger gun control.
    1.) Criminals don't respect laws. If law-abiding citizens have wildly restricted access to weapons, which the criminals ignore, then the general populace is subject to gun violence without the ability to defend themselves.
    2.) The United States is not Europe. There are sparsely populated portions of the US where you are genuinely on your own. Literally millions of people live hours from the nearest help, if not days.
    3.) Even when there are police officers located 5 minutes from your house, 5 minutes can be too much time. It takes seconds to grab a gun, even if it's got a safety combo lock on it. If there are people trying to come into your house to rape my wife, I'd rather that she be able to lock the bedroom door while she gets the pistol/shotgun/etc out to defend herself if necessary until the police arrive. Here in Germany, we just have to hope that I or she can hold anyone coming into our apartment off with a lamp.
    4.) Principles of gun use.A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

What does that mean? It certainly doesn't state that people are exclusively to keep and bear Arms as part of a well regulated militia, but rather that in order to have a functional Militia, that the right of the people to keep and bear Arms is necessary. Why? Because shooting isn't easy. Believe it or not, hitting a target with any degree of consistency requires a great degree of practice, which is why thousands and thousands of your tax dollars go to target practice for members of the armed forces annually. Do we still have municipality level militias in the U.S.? No, of course not, but we do have the national guard, which fulfills the same purpose, along with the reserves. At the time the 2nd Amendment was written, proficiency with a weapon was a factor of your ability to perform a complicated loading procedure as quickly as possible to enable volley fire with a wildly inaccurate weapon. Today, proficiency is your ability to fire accurately. The times have changed, but the underlying principle remains the same.

5. Basic Principles of the Constitution. Gun control is unconstitutional in that it is an infringement of one of our enumerated rights. You can't allow gun control laws for the same reason that you can't allow poll taxes, or that you can't have Jim Crow laws (i.e. separate but "equal"). It's the same reason that you can't stop Neo Nazis and the Westboro Baptists from preaching their hate under their First Amendment rights. If people want gun control, then they need to pass a Constitutional Amendment repealing the Second Amendment first. Otherwise, you simply invite legislative abuses of other constitutional rights.

• Winner Winner x 1