1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should AJ bring in Johnson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 1, 2007.

?

Should AJ get Johnson?

Poll closed May 31, 2007.
  1. Hellz yes!

36.2%
  2. Maybe if he will be a good boy

31.9%
  3. I dont think he will play nice

4.3%
  4. Hellz no!

25.5%
  5. BFISA (What another Poll?!)

2.1%
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He is out there, well what do you think?

2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Like AJ said. Line 'em up and let 'em compete. :tup:

Bring him in. He is a gamer.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Chispa took the patented BFISA answer! :lol:

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I voted hell yes. Sign him and get rid of Malcom Floyd. Keyshawn works hard, blocks like a mother, and our WR corps could use a veteran presence. And with his experience, he won’t need a ton of practice reps during the week, so it won’t hinder the development of our young guys.

Bottom line, I don’t see enough potential in Floyd to outweigh making this move.

5. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Here is my problem with Keyshawn, He'll get you close to 1000 yards but only 3 to 4 TD's. I would hope to get more TD's than that.

Also who do you let go? We need to keep Osgood (GREAT special teamer) Floyd seems to be getting it, Camillo? Also, is Meshawn the right guy to have Jackson and Davis around?? I think he has matured in his older age. So to make a short answer long, whatever AJ wants is fine with me:yes: :tup:

:icon_rofl:

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think Floyd has been a bit overrated by Chargers fans too, but one thing I do like about Malcolm is that he's probably the best receiver we have when it comes to winning the jump-ball and he catches the ball with his hands. I think I'd rather unload Kassim than Floyd at this point. I like Osgood and his special-teams ability, but we just drafted 4 guys who should be able to improve our special teams immediately. That being said, Camarillo is probably the odd-man-out.

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Some insight from the Charlotte Observer:

Why Panthers canned Keyshawn

Here's why Keyshawn Johnson is gone:

Although the receiver, who was followed by controversy in his previous stops, seemed to be a model citizen in his one season with the Panthers, there were some-behind the scenes issues.

Some very important people in the organization weren't happy when Johnson failed to stand up and take blame away from quarterback Jake Delhomme after some critical passes intended for Johnson were intercepted. At least one very important person in the organization urged Johnson to do that and he didn't.

Johnson also didn't endear himself to some key people by questioning some coaching moves. The Panthers are on the hook for $3.75 million in salary cap space because of remaining signing bonus prorations. They may designate Johnson as a June 1 cut and spread the cap hit over two years.

The decision to part ways with Johnson actually was made at least several weeks ago. When a rumor was circulating about this move last week, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told The Observer that information was "not accurate.''

Apparently, the Panthers wanted to make sure their bases were covered before officially making the move, and the clincher came when they drafted USC's Dwayne Jarrett in the second round Saturday.

IMO, this is NOT a red flag. Why should Keyshawn take blame away from his QB if he didn't feel it was warranted? That was a stupid "request" by the Panters front office. Jake's a big boy, he shouldn't have to be coddled like that.

I still want Keyshawn. :yes:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    1. Jackson
    2. Parker
    3. Davis
    4. Floyd
    5. Osgood

Where in the world do you see room?

9. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Fixed.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    why do we continue to want to bring in every stiff?

The jerk is a cancer and should be burned at the post!

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    ME sucks!

It is all about ME!

Me This

ME that.

I am the best!

the guy needs to be sent to Iraq, to many good people are dying over there!

12. nutzgrant

nutzgrant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Definitely could use a veteran... :unsure:

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I absolutely would not get rid of Osgood. His special teams value is tremendous. I think he made every special teams tackle in our playoff game against the Pats. He was everywhere.

I like Keyshawn, but not enough to cut any of our other receivers. If we want to carry six receivers, I'd be fine with that but something tells me Keyshawn hasn't learned his lesson as much as people let on. I think the guy is still a heartbear away from blowing up at a teammate or a coach.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd rather have Keyshawn than Parker, Floyd, or Camarillo.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    They are cutting him, so they are on the hook for his signing bonus still owed to him. We wouldn't assume anything. It would be a new free agent contract.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Fuq'im, and this poll, and all subsequent polls :yes: :icon_evil:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Not only no but HELL no. :bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Can I get an amen!!!

19. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    If we can sign him for a 1 year contract, then why not do it. Not having room seems like a poor reason to dismiss the idea. Here's my thoughts on the subject:

1. No charger receiver has lead the team in receptions since Curtis Conway.

2. I wouldn't classify Osgood as a receiver. He can't catch.

3. Camarillo has been on the practice squad for several years. If he hasn't seen any action yet, then he probably won't ever.

4. Charger recievers dropped at least 3 passes vs. New England

5. Receivers get hurt every year, so why not have a guy who is durable and can catch the ball.

6. Keyshawn's me-first days seem to be behind him. Panther fans were callin him Weshawn last year.

7. Parker is the charger's veteran reciever. This doesn't inspire much confidence for me. Seems like theres a lot of Parker fans on this site, but he choked bigtime vs NE and its hard to be a team leader under those circumstances. He also caught 0 touchdowns last year.

Bottom line, if the chargers had probowl caliber recievers on their squad, I would be against Keyshawn, but they don't so why not make room for him to sign a 1-year contract. If he turns into a ********, he could take his salary and go to USC games all year. No big loss.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I agree on all points. Good post.:tup:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Fuggin good post and get out of my skull. :yes:

I do not see Keyshawn as a cancer type dude or police blotter type thug wannabe. This cat just wants a ring. I do not get the thugged out **** from his *** I do from other aholes such as Pacman etc etc.

22. LIGHTS-OUT

LIGHTS-OUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I think he COULD be a good pickup if the price is right. If so then why not a little competition this summer would be good for the WR corp. Maybe he could prove to be a good mentor to our younger WR's like V.J. and Davis

To me a three reciever set with VJ/Johnson/Parker (or possibly Davis) sounds good to me. I don't think we will get him though because I see teams willing to pay him more than A.J. However I'm willing to entertain the idea.

23. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The whole point in drafting Buster Davis is to have a vertical threat on the field, the proverbial home run hitter. Starting VJ and Johnson doesn't do that.

The plan has got to be VJ and Davis as the starters and Parker in the slot. Does anyone want to try to convince me that Keyshawn could/would be effective in the slot? That's the position Eric Parker was made for.

If not, than why would he want to come here? Would you start him in front of VJ? Sure he could open the season in front of Davis but if Buster isn't starting by midseason than he is not the complete player that AJ and Buddy proclaim him to be.

Johnson to the Chargers doesn't fit for either side.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'll bet @ this point in his career he'd be willing to take a little less to play close to his hometown and for a championship caliber team.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I want AJ to get a number one wideout or some dude who was like McCardell just to get the edge off the rest of the staff. VJ is not scaring the **** out of anyone yet and relying on Gates just does not cut it.

Time to put Turner and LT in a double slot formation and then the whole word can kiss our collective asssses. :bolt: :bolt2:

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Counter Points
    1. We just spent a #1 on a receiver to compliment Jackson
    2. Keyshawn is slow as hell
    3. Keyshawn doesn't give a flying **** about anyone but himself and that doesn't mesh
    4. Keyshawn will not play third or fourth fiddle in an offense with two other superstars
    5. We have a bunch of talented young receivers already
    6. That NE game is blown way out of proportion considering that those receivers caught alot of balls through-out the year
    7. Even if you dont' count Osgood we've got Floyd, Parker, Davis and Jackson, that's four and that's plenty
    8. Keyshawn will demand alot of money and for more then one year
    9. He's been a self righteous pain in the *** on EVERY team he's EVER been on, INCLUDING the Panthers