1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should AJ trade Whitehurst for picks?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Should we trade Whitehurst?

1. Trade him.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Keep him.

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. In AJ we trust! (means you're undecided)

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    A few people seem to think the Chargers need another 1st day pick seeing as we only have 1, and thats our first rounder. In 2006 we burned a 3rd rounder on Charlie Whitehurst, who has only taken a couple snaps so far in the NFL (including 1TD run) but is sitting behing 2 much more experienced proven QB's.

Do you guys think the Chargers should resign Billy Volek, and keep our former 3rd round draft pick Charlie Whitehurst on the bench for the rest of his carrer?

Or should we let Volek go, and keep C Dub as our #2 (given he has no experience)

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd keep him. We don't know how PR's recovery is going to go. I certainly hope for a full recovery, but you never know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltanthemsinger

boltanthemsinger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I've always been a fan of Charlie. If it were me, I would have had him in there against the Colts and NOT Volek.
    Deer in the headlights for Volek - but, thankfully, he was able to get a break and help us win the game (Indianapolis).
    Charlie's bigger, stronger and younger. Volek's gonna be gone anyway.
    Remember...Dan Fouts was drafted in the 3rd round...so, don't be talkin' smack about the 3rd rounders!:icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    What could we get/would someone be willing to give up for Charlie Whitehurst?

5. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    I dont know how you can say that now. Volek did enough to win us that game. Thats experience, something Charlie doesnt have.

But, i like Charlie too and think he needs some time. Id really like to see him in the pre season to see what he really has. also, ive seen his myspace page and he's got hot *****es galore. oh man does he know how to play the football player status card. :tup:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

I was actually saying 3rd rounder was too high for Whitehurst, a player we needed at the time, but then we landed Volek and Charlie became nearly useless.

I'm all for trading him if Volek is ok with being a carrer backup in San Diego.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    A Smurfs Lunchbox?

[​IMG]

8. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I think "if" Chargers are willing to trace C. Whitehurst then they must not be high on the guy. I think we should keep Volek for 1 more year though.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If we can get a #1 for him, do it!!!
    Otherwise, keep him!!

10. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    We're going to be thin at QB if Volek goes. I also am not convinced that we should keep him, i.e., Volek. Whitehurst, we hope, should be ready to back up Rivers as it will be Whitehurst's third year.

I think if we want to get a first day pick, we need to look at positions where we're well-stocked, like WR. I would give serious consideration to trading away Buster Davis, even for a second. We won't get that kind of value (or first day value) for anyone other than VJ or Chambers, two guys that we'll want to hold onto. I also see Parker becoming a slot receiver. (Parker--btw--does not have first day trade value. The homers might say otherwise, but let's be realistic.)

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't think we'd get much for Charlie, what has he done ????? I'm sure AJ has something brewing and I'm willing to wait and see what it is. Dude is pure magic.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Are you guys stoned?

What makes anyone think that Whitehurst has any value for another team? What has he done to make anyone think he's worth a first day draft pick?

No one will give anything for Charlie right now. Nothing. He hasn't done **** in the regular season, and has just been adequate in the pre-season. This thread is kiddie land midget mentality. Maybe y'all have been sucking on Trumpy's bong or something.

Wake the hell up, people.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    **** NO!
    WHitehurst will prove his worth this year and be alot more valuable next year in terms of draft picks

Also, Volek wants a shot as a starter and will leave, so what do we do for a backup?

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's not. Unless we did a trade where we offered several players and/or trades and he was part of that package.

15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    volek will leave so we need Whitehurst, plus i think the guy can play

16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    You think we will get a first day pick for Whitehurst?

I think you are dreaming and keep in mind, a first day pick from now on means the first two rounds. Right now, i dont think we could even get a 3rd rounder for him.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    No.

We need to stand pat at the quarterback position. Re-sign Volek if possible and keep Charlie as a backup. And beside, Who's going to give us anything but a scrub pick for him? Now maybe we sign Volek then trade him but I don't see that happening either.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Silly topic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think that's a bad plan. Unless we're looking into bringing in a better veteran back up. If we could get someone who's been a starter for most of his career, played in the playoffs a few times, been to the Super Bowl and is in his thirties... that's an ideal back up.

If Rivers needs to sit out, you don't want a guy who's never played in the regular season in his entire career to take over!!!!
    You want a guy who's been there and done it!!!

With that said... I think Trent Dilfer would be just what we need for a back up QB.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Whatever AJ wants to do I am fine with it.

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    :icon_eek: Are you serious?

Dilfer is'nt a good option for anybody anymore. He is done!!

Id rather watch Whitehurst struggle than watch Dilfer struggle...and he will.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Dilfer ..... okay.

This thread went from stupid to idiotic.

23. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Why is he even on the team then?
    AJ thought enough of him to use a #3 pick on him when many people said we dont need a QB and had other needs.
    If AJ thought he was worth a #3, and hes spent 2 years learning from 3 of the best QB developers in the NFL (Cam, Norv, Ramsdell), and yet in his 3rd year he cant be a backup, why even keep him on the team??

Sure he doesnt have experience, but how is he suppose to ever get any experience if he isnt given a shot? At some point you have to let him play and see what he can do.

To me, he outplayed Volek last preseason when he was given a shot and looked like a very good young QB prospect.

Hes alot better than people (BoltJolt comes to mind) give him credit for. He will be the #2 this year and beyond and will be one of the better #2 with some real experience

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know about that. Yeah, he got one start in San Francisco last season and got knocked out but that entire offense sucked last season.

Though I hear you. He's taken a beating through out his entire career and don't know how much he has left but look at all the talent we have here!!
    Of course, we ALL would like to think that Phillip will be fine and can play out the entire season but if he has to sit out, hopefully it won't be long. Trent has the smarts and leadership to get the wins if he's needed.

You name it, he's been there... bad press, several playoff games/wins, Pro Bowl, Super Bowl, etc. Trent could be a great mentor as well for Rivers and Whitehurst.

Whitehurst has yet to take a snap in the regular season. Maybe when Rivers is in his fourth year as a starter, move him to back up.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    No he didnt.

Whitehurst didnt play very well in the preseason imo.

That said, i think he has some tools. Good arm, good legs but needs to make better decisions. I think he could be a good backup someday but no, i do not think he is as good as you think he is.

You seem to think he could start for us and has an outside shot at beating out Rivers someday where i think there is no chance in hell that will ever happen.

You also seem to see something in him that others dont and you have said he was real good in college where i thought he was slightly above average.
    The only other guy that had real possitive things to say about Whitty is leisure.....but then, a lot of guys he liked have been busts or more famous for being in police blotters.

Not a slam, no intent to argue about him or anything like that. Thats just what i see. A guy who has some good tools to be a good backup someday.
    I really would like to see him improve this next preseason because we did use a 3rd rounder on him. Id like to see that pick be worth it.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm just keeping in mind that Rivers only has two years under his belt as a starter. He's accomplished a great amount but it's still a short time. He still has plenty to learn and that's what a veteran back up is for (when you have a starter like Rivers).

27. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Thats what Norv and Ramsdell are for, plus he got to learn from Flutie and Brees for a couple years and Volek the past 2 years

28. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I would rather see Whitehurst with us next season then Volick and Whitehurst should be backup for Rivers then. I think that would be best. Who knows whats going to happen though.

29. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    It would be stupid to get rid of Charlie at this point. He's young, he has spent this past year in Norv's system (calling the plays), he could step in for PR if PR's knee isn't ready, and do the job for us, especially with our weak *** schedule next year.

Getting rid of him should not even be a topic of discussion.

If we want an experienced backup, then we should try to keep Volek. Not try to get some lame A** Trent Dilfer.

(Baltimore's Defense carried them to, and won the SB, not Trent and the offense FYI)

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well then how come Tony Banks couldn't get the job done? He was the starter up until week 8. Because the Ravens went through five weeks without a touchdown.
    When Trent got the ball, they stared getting into the endzone immediately.

Yes, the defense did carry the Ravens to the Super Bowl and won it BUT, if they had to rely on Banks, no playoffs or Super Bowl would have happened!!!

With that said... I'm fine with keeping Volek. If we cut him, we have to pick up someone better.