1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Chargers Give SD some money above and beyond their rent?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 14, 2007.

?

Should the Chargers give more cash to SD?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2007.
  1. Yes, it is the right thing to do.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, it might ease some of the angst

6.9%
  3. I dont care.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, not the full ammount. Maybe a lesser ammount in good faith

13.8%
  5. Hell no! City set the rules, now they need to live by them!

79.3%
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Ronald W. Powell
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    March 13, 2007

City Attorney Michael Aguirre says the city of San Diego has subsidized the Chargers for more than a decade and hopes team executives now will offer some cash in return.

AdvertisementAguirre said at a news conference yesterday that Jim Waring, the city's chief of land use and economic development, plans to ask the Chargers to begin paying the $5.7 million annual bond payment for the 1997 expansion of the city-owned Qualcomm Stadium.
    The San Diego Union-Tribune reported yesterday the city is at least $400,000 in the hole from operating expenses for Chargers home games this past season. The final tab could be more than $900,000.

“Our goal today is not to attack anyone, not to try to embarrass anyone,” Aguirre said. “It's simply to get the facts out on the table in hopes that we can begin to have a dialogue with our friends at the Chargers about how they might be able to help contribute to a lessening of the financial burden on San Diego taxpayers.”

Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani said Aguirre's criticism of a stadium development plan at the Qualcomm site was one of the reasons the team dropped the plan last year. Fabiani said the project would have generated income for the city.

“This sounds like a typical city of San Diego farce,” Fabiani said in an interview yesterday. “In most cultures, you don't open up a good-faith negotiation with a party in a press conference. This tells me they're trying to get themselves on TV and not generate a result here.”

The city of San Diego faces a $1 billion deficit in its pension fund and is anticipating budget deficits next fiscal year. Aguirre said any financial assistance from the Chargers would be used to help cover police pension costs.

Aguirre said the team reaped $70 million in game-day revenue last season. The team is supposed to pay the city $2.5 million in rent under a contract negotiated in 2004. Last season, the team also paid the city $609,866 for one playoff game at Qualcomm.

But the city gives the team rent credits and pays several other expenses that cost from $3.5 million to $3.9 million last season, leaving the city in the red, said Erik Stover, the city's stadium manager. The city also pays $5.7 million a year for bonds for the 1997 stadium expansion, done at the request of Chargers owner Alex Spanos.

The Chargers now are trying to strike a deal for a new stadium in Chula Vista, National City or Oceanside.

Fabiani said the team worked for four years to negotiate a deal at Qualcomm. The team offered to tear down the stadium, build a new one, and pay for road improvements, a park and the balance of the bond debt. In exchange, the team wanted the city to give it 60 acres at the site.

Aguirre and Mayor Jerry Sanders opposed the plan, largely because they didn't want to give away property that some city officials believe is worth $500 million.

Waring said that before Stover was hired in 2005, the city did not detail game costs.

“Things were done on guesswork or looser accounting,” Waring said.

The Chargers probably didn't know what the city was paying either, he said.

“It's my hope that when they see the real numbers on the costs to the city of San Diego that we might be able to engage in some healthy dialogue and possibly change these numbers,” Waring said.

In another stadium-related development, Chargers executives met with Oceanside officials yesterday to discuss parking and rail access to a prospective stadium site at Oceanside's Center City Golf Course. The property is off Interstate 5 near the Oceanside Boulevard interchange.

The Chargers say they do not want to build a large parking lot at the 71.7-acre site, or anyplace else they might choose. Instead, the team wants to create an entertainment or commercial venue next to the stadium and get a large number of fans to and from the site by mass transit on game days.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Haven't you figured out yet that Aguirre is just a nutcase?

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Of course. he is a lyin sack of shite!

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Aguirre can SMD, KMA, FOAD, and LLS.

No one ever lost popularity points in SD by casting the Chargers in a bad light. The guy's a snake and he has a vendetta against the Chargers. He's not satisfied with being the chief obstructionist to a stadium in Mission Valley--now he's trying to sabotage negotiations with other cities.

5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    What does it take to impeach this moron? He is an elected official. Can we have his head?:icon_toast:

Tired of this guy trying to get face time like a little media whor* on my tax dollars.:icon_twisted:

Where is that Henderson clown when there is a real cause to persue?:icon_eek:

I wonder if Idiot stick Aguirre has any economists on his staff. Maybe he should do the math to see if a new Stadium is viable before he spouts off to get his face on your TV.:icon_evil:

I have not seen one study on the feasibility of a new stadium per the Spanoses original offer on the Qualcomm Site. Until this Monkey Nut gets the real value, he should shut his pie hole.:tup:

I say off with his head.:icon_shrug:

6. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Last I heard, Henderson was actually working for Aguirre's office. Not sure if he is still there but not surprised by the rhetoric if that is the case.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    FVCK AGUIRRE

Man, that guy is a grade A piece of ****. I wouldn't piss on him ifhe was on fire.

I wonder why this even came out? Hmmm? Oh let's see, what has happened in the last week? OHHHH THAT'S RIGHT?!?! The Chargers are in the news because of the uniform change. Suddenly everyone around town is talking about the Chargers again for a couple of months so what does little miss attention whore do?

Read above. What an corksocker the dude is. BTW, because I am mentally retarded when it comes to politics, some one tell me, who in the blue fvck is Bruce Henderson? Pardon me if I don't knw, I haven't always lived in San Diego.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So I can put you down as a no....:icon_rofl:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Only because there wasn't a "KILL YOURSELF MIKE AGUIRRE" option.

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Ron Powell appears to be Aguirre's personal PR puke .....

11. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    He is our official Town Crier. He is a Radio Talk Show Host who dables in politics....or is it the other way around......and prety much tries to be a stick in the spokes any time he has an opportunity.:icon_evil:

Almost derailed the Petco Park project with all of his BS.:tdown:

I think he is related to Aguirre, somehow. The both of them have so much in common, they may have been seperated at birth.:lol:

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sums up my feelings perfectly. :icon_rofl:

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I say both sides need to do what ever it takes to keep the Chargers in SD...:tup: :bolt:

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I would expect idiots like this ******** in the Bay but how in the hell does this guy get elected in San Diego?

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It baffles me daily.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Aguirre is a complete tool. Not only did he get elected, but didn't he get re-elected?

I don't see why the Chargers should give the city of SD ****, since the city of SD has basically kicked them to the curb.

If the city of SD doesn't like the deal it has with the Chargers, then maybe they shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. Hopefully, the county of SD and the City of Oceanside prove to be more competent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    BINGO

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Did you vote for him? Just curious.......

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You can click on the blue numbers in the poll and see who voted.

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am with all of you, and I would rather use Aguirre as shark bait then give him the time of day..

Now then............

He does bring up a valid point, are the Chargers paying the bond $$$ like they are supposed to? They did sign a contract saying they would. And if Spanos is jacking up our tickets by $16.00 a game, plus coming out with all new uniforms so that most of us run out and buy something new. If Spanos is making all this $$$$$ and not paying it out like he is supposed to, than I have a problem with that. But if they are not supposed to be paying untill later, then he can shut his mouth!

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The money Aguirre wants is above an beyond what the Chargers are supposed to pay.

Seeings how the Chargers have to pay $610k in rent for one playoff game, I think the city is getting their share.

Aguirre's arguments is the loss of the ticket guarantee has hurt the city, he tries to say that the Chargers got rid of the guarantee. If i remember right he was one of the driving forces behind the guarantee going away. But he certainly doesnt say that. The sack of....

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    CONC I'm not sure why you're under the impression this is related to the ticket guaranty. Are these costs that the Chargers used to cover while the guaranty was in place?

And if a request from Alex Spanos is all it takes to get the city to pay a $5.7 million a year bond, is a request from me enough to get the city to pay my rent? :icon_shrug: What a crock of $hit.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why should the Chargers pay the bond for the update to the stadium? Do they own it? The Chargers pay rent. To the CITY which OWNS the stadium.

Do you often have landlords that tell you that you have to pay for the upkeep of their house?

Do the Aztecs get asked to pay the costs? Hows about the County high school championship games? The many other activities that use the stadium? No they do not. They pay rent, JUST AS THE CHARGERS DO. So you want Spanos to pay it for the city, that is the crock of shite bro...

24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think we maybe have a misunderstanding. I'm totally on the same side as you. I don't believe for a second that all Spanos has to do is ask nicely and the city coughs up $5.7 mil a year. I'm sure the city is contractually bound to pay that money or they wouldn't do it. Like boltssbbound said, If they don't like the deal they shouldn't have made it. I was just curious what the ticket guaranty has to do with any of this.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry, I misunderstood. It just chaffs my fanny that *** clowns like Aguirre try and always put the Chargers in the wrong. Even when they are being beggers.:icon_evil:

26. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    The guy is an *** .. plain and simple. He's been part of every recent attempt at civic improvement including Convention Center, PETCO Park, and now the handling of the Chargers. I wish he would take his whiny libertarian *** out of this town.

• Like Like x 1
  27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    man, trying to go on memory when the memory is failing.

Didnt the Chargers say they would pay a portion of that bond payment

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If I remember right he is the charter member of C.A.V.E Man. Citizens Against Virtually Everything...

29. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Ha! Exactly! :icon_rofl: