1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Chargers honor Kiel?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sdg.scout.com/2/767182.html

If I were a carpenter...

By Michael Lombardo
    Publisher, SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Jul 5, 2008

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I liked TK fine, but comparing him to Pat Tillman is a very, very, VERY long stretch.

RIP Terrence... but a Pat Tillman you were not.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah, not to be a callous *******, but I think any kind of Chargers memorial to Terrance Kiel would be incredibly contrived. The Tillman comparison is absurd to the point of being offensive.

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Even though he didn't leave the team under the best of circumstances, he did play well for them for a few years. I'm not saying he should be honored just as Tillman was... but he does deserve some kind of acknowledgement.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Amen on teh Tillman but I think a moment of silence before the first pre-season game or regular season game is sufficient. He was still part of the Charger family

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think the last line of this guy's article is quite an insulting jab as well. If you really are making case to honor a man who has left this world, you might want to leave out your opinion of the current war in Iraq being one that can not be won.

Not to mention many people battle their addictions to substances or over-spending every day and win.

The more I think about that, the more insulting it becomes.

7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Good choice.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word :tup:

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The only thing I would add is maybe for the same game have a small number 48 as a respect be worn on the uniform of the Chargers. That is it though and nothing else.

That is respectable.

R.I.P. Terrence Kiel.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    yeah but definitely not a decale worn all year and CERTAINLY not the retiring of his number

I mean both those are great gestures for Tillman and even in a sense for Darrent Williams but Kiel did not live or die with the same dignity and grace those two did. I'm sorry but that's the fact of life - and unlike Tillman, Kiel got himself into his own muck and kept digging himself into it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I can buy that :tup:

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have no problem with a number on the helmets

:icon_shrug:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't think my opinion is different than anybody else's on this. I think a moment of silence or some sort of condolence to the Kiel family would be good on opening day but to use him in the same sentence as Tillman is highly offensive.

And no need for the numbers on the helmets because he was no longer a Charger and he will not be in the ring of fame.
    Last time I remember us doing that (only time actually) was in 95 for Rodney Culver. Major difference!!! He and his family died in a plane accident, he was still a Charger, we wanted him to remain a Charger for a long time, he was a good man, and he had no criminal record.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't think anything needs to be done more than the Chargers have already. He wasn't an active member of the club, nor did he leave on the best of terms.

To even mention him in the same sentence with Tillman is a travesty. It's a sad conclusion to a bad story and he brought it on himself. To honor him doesn't seem to be appropriate.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Absolutely not. :no: :tdown:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The comparison of Tillman to Kiel is beyond absurd. Even the suggestion of wearing his number on the helmets is absurd. A moment of silence as a gesture to his family is fine, but Kiel essentially tossed his own life away. Tillman died from "friendly" fire that may not have been so friendly and his family was victimized further by a cover up. Observances of Tiillman's death as a memorial are appropriate, while Kiel deserves to be an abject lesson in bad choices.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I agree about not using the number 48 in any way, as Kiel was not a Charger when he died.

Rather than "honor" Kiel, I'm sure the Chargers will do some kind of rememberence for their former player....

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    what did we do for LB David Griggs when he wrapped his car around a freeway sign post... don't know if he was drinking but that was a guy that started on the Super Bowl team.... IIRC, they had a moment of silence...

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I doubt the Chargers will honer a player that got popped for illegally mailing cough syrup across the country and died while driving in the wrong direction while intoxicated ( yeah i know it isnt official but it will show up as such)

This is a sad thing that happened but for Lamebardo to suggest he should be honered is just another example of his crap articles and ideas.

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

mind changed.

moment of silence

and move on

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    yeah, just honor him before the first game of the year, let the team wear a little patch, nothing big, but just something to honor him for his work, he wasnt the best, but he did what needed to be done. its a shame he had to leave on those terms. regardless of how he was as a player, im sure the team misses him as a person, so honor him on THOSE terms perhaps?

22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I was sorry to hear of Terrence Kiel's passing . I fail to understand the link to Pat Tillman who left the game in his prime walking away from millions to fight for a cause he believed in.

I find it rather amazing that Michael Lombardo is so completely out of touch or desperate to generate a story as to link the two.

Completely insulting both men in doing so imop.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Mentioning Kiel in the same sentence in comparison to someone like Tillman is an insult to servicemen and women everywhere IMO.

I have no problem w/ a moment of silence and/or a small decal on the helm, but bottom line, this dude died driving drunk. Nothing to celebrate there. If were up to me I wouldn't do anything other than a moent of silence for him at the first game of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I think they should honor Kiel as said before the 1st game of the season, moment of silence... But also honor him, by being responsible consumers of alcohol... It is amazing anyone drives drunk, let alone these guys who get in their car to drive wasted, when they can easily afford a limo or cab...

Fouts

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yeah I was kinda surprised Pat Tillman was brought into a story about Terrance (not a relevant comparison in my opinion). Havin said that Terrance served us to the best of his abilities for a number of years. I kinda remember us doing the number thing for Rodney Culver but don't remember what the story was for Griggs.

I reckon certainly a minutes silence for him at a minimum is required. I mean a number of guys on our team were friends of his/played with him. I'm sure they would like to be a part of some tribute.

Oh and I'm glad to see they have corrected their spelling error at chargers.com :tup:

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I guess I'm about to reveal myself as the biggest dick on earth, but I don't care about TK. He was a football player. He doesn't deserve any special recognition for that. Maybe if he'd led an honorable life committed to helping others. Maybe if he'd died defending his country. Maybe if he'd played out his career with the heart of a champion. Maybe if he proved he wanted to redeem himself by NOT doing things like driving under the influence and had just randomly died by bad luck. Maybe then I could feel for the guy.

The guy was shipping prescription drugs across state lines so that kids can get high at parties, endangering both the kids and the public, he ruined his own career and, in so doing, betrayed his teammates, and then he killed himself by driving while intoxicated.

Why on earth would you guys think the Chargers should honor him? "You're not a good enough human being to be on our roster, but now that you went and got yourself killed we'll honor you like a fallen champion?"

I know the guy was an ex-Charger, but he was an EX-Charger at the age of 27 for a reason. The franchise did not want to be associated with him. Sorry, but I just can't feel it for the guy. I pity him, and I especially pity his family, but he's no better than the thousands of other people who die every year in auto accidents. He was a football player, meaning he was extraordinarily blessed, yet he chose to piss it all away... and for what? The equivalent of a months pay?

Every year, old-school ex-Chargers who led quiet, respectable lives die and you bums never even think about "oh, hey, we should honor him at half-time, blah blah blah." Just because they didn't go out in a blaze of irresponsibility doesn't make their deaths any less significant, yet we choose to shed tears over the criminal?

TK wasn't my friend, and he lost my respect by dealing drugs when he obviously didn't have to, hurting both his career and the team. He couldn't even fall back on the excuse that he was desperate for money. I can even forgive a guy who has no other way to make a living so he deals drugs to survive and gets caught up with bad people. TK was a professional athlete making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year who chose to deal drugs because he wanted to.

He didn't "make a mistake." He intentionally and with malice aforethought committed crimes. He didn't deserve to die but man... don't expect me to grieve for the guy. It's sad but he does not deserve any special mention. Not when we have over 4000 soldiers dead in Iraq and every day cops and firefighters die defending the publics. Kiel betrayed his teammates, his fans, and himself. And I, for one, am not particularly proud of his association with the franchise I love.

• Like Like x 3
  27. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Excellent thoughts TS and I echo your sentiments exactly.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    Lombardo is a knucklehead. Comparing Tilman to Kiel is an insult the memory of Tilman and all the other soldiers that have given their lives for a cause.

Kiel put himself into that position. Other than the fact that he played for the Chargers, his death would just go down as another DUI death statistic. I am sorry for his family just as I would for any other person I was told about, but he does not deserve more special treatment then any other person who died as the result of their own DUI.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Lombardo's the biggest idiot in print, honestly.

He acts like Kiel somehow was justified in dealing illegal drugs because he "only" made $500,000 his last year in the NFL.

Seriously, who could live on that? I mean, especially when you are required to keep up with the obligatory party-scene, half a million per year just isn't enough! I mean, who could possibly party like a rock-star on only $6,000 a week (after taxes?)

In other words, it's pretty much the Chargers' fault that Kiel got himself into that predicament. And Tilman, of course, was only honored because of his performance on the field--not because of WHERE and WHY he died.

Lombardo is seriously an embarassment. I wish more people realized that the guy is not a professional writer---he's just a fan, like us, who got a "job" as a blogger that no one else was interested in. He has no football background. He knows less about that Chargers than most of the people on this forum.

30. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I've got no problems with this post, and I agree. But I expect the Chargers will do something, simply because he was a colleague and friend at one point.

I think, for me, that "honor" is a bad choice of term. Any gesture shown on the Chargers' behalf should be one of sympathy to friends and family. Nothing more, nothing less.