1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

should the chargers make a trade for

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Sep 25, 2013.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    josh freeman?? good potential and mccoy could shape him. i mean hey fet got tebow a play off win

2. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Can he play CB ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Can he play DL, OL, WB (water boy)?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    no.. and because there needs.to be a future beyond.rivers. freeman is only in his 4th season. sitting.behind rivers and learning could give us a good replacement for when rivers goes

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I get that, but why not draft the heir apparent. If Rivers plays 3 more seasons, you then have a 7th year vet tagged as the next QB. The average career of an NFL Qb is 10 years. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me when we have more apparent needs than QB.

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    i figured with the bucs giving up on him, he could come extremely cheap.possibly a 4th or 5th.i dont see getting his talent at that late. it cpuld help this team. we could run other packages that rivers cant run. idk a viable back up. not much streaa on the body he could play a long time

8. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    • Like Like x 1
  9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

Are you saying use him as a Read option QB? (Insert Red Skins, 49ers, Eagles, Raiders) We'll I would agree with you. Last year that was good thing. But, if you are depending on the whole season. Look at the above teams. We would have to new playbook for JF... I personally like what we are doing now on OFF. Short passing. with a "SEMI" run game.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Ok... I just think there are more pressing needs, but there is a reason I am not the GM...

12. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I agree with you.. but that was pop warner...

13. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    yes hed be great in those sub packages. and im not saying rely on it. or even run it more than a handful of timea. he has a big arm, and can make plays qith his feet. hed be a good pick up for really cheap. it would give this offense more ways to score

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    $6.5 mil for a back-up QB with a lifetime QB rating of 78.8...
    apparently regressing...what's not to like?

Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 9.46.03 AM.png
    p.s. I'm not saying we should spend a little to get someone on the
    O-line who could actually open a small hole for Woodhead or
    Mathews to try to slide through...rushing is soooooo 20th century...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Freeman would be the same @ the same age that Weeden was his rookie season somewhere @ 36:D

And about the Freeman thing, something just isn't right with that organization, I don't know if Freeman has been hanging out with J Russel and V Young or what but, there is a reason they're letting him walk, and there is a reason he just got benched for Mike Glennon. I'll pass

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    1) That's not cheap, especially when he's got minimal time left on his contract and he would have to be extended (and paid bonus money) for several seasons of before he was ever actually played outside the preseason.

2) The reason Josh Freeman is on the outs in Tampa is two-fold. First, there's a power-struggle between current GM Mark Dominik, who is the one who along with Raheem Morris made the Freeman pick, and current HC Greg Schiano, who's "guy" was drafted this past year in Mike Glennon. Secondly, Freeman just hasn't shown the mental acuity for the game (something McCoy is kind of huge on and why he was so fond of Sorenson... and eager to work with Rivers) - his decision-making is bad, he doesn't read defenses particularly well, and he's evidently got an extremely high opinion of himself. Sound like anyone else that was a failed 1st round pick? Like Vince Young maybe?

3) By the time Rivers actually does retire, Freeman would be roughly the age Rivers is now.

4) The Montana "passing the torch" to Young or likewise Favre to Rodgers is actually exceedingly rare in the league. More often than not unless a veteran free agent (who typically represents some sort of health risk for the money commanded) like Brees or Peyton his the market, teams simply have to go through the route of spending a 1st or 2nd round (much rarer) pick on a QB prospect with high ceiling and developing them - or else you end up trading for a forever-middle-of-the-road starter like Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, or Jason Campbell.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    How many teams with winning records since even the Wildcat craze kicked in have you see pulling their starting QB to run subpackages?

I really don't get why I keep see people (not just here, but on other boards as well) hung up on a two-QB system, no matter what the ration of the timeshare is. This is like the Raiders fans who last year wanted Carson taking most of the snaps but having Pryor brought in for a few "designed" plays per game. You don't think that when the "running QB" comes in that opposing defenses aren't going to key on the fact that the primary design of the play is to let said QB make a play with his legs and adjust for it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    i dont want 2 qb syatems. but i want to extend rivers. or possibly have a good back up

19. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    CBJ isnt a good back up ?? (SMILING)

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I don't see anything in the current system we run that Freeman has demonstrated he can do that Sorensen can't. Whether that's read as encouragement of Sorensen or detraction of Freeman I really don't care - it's likely a little of both. Freeman is still making the same mistakes now, after 2 1/2 years of starting plus three weeks of this season, that Brad S. was making as a late round rookie in the preseason for us.

Also, there's more to being a "good backup" than being able to come in for a couple plays a game or being able to step-in and "not lose games" if the starter is pulled or goes down injured. The guy also has to be good on the headset - a second set of eyes for the QB on the field, keying him in to guys who may be showing blitz or creeping in from the secondary. If Freeman has thus far struggled with decision-making, reading defenses, and positional awareness, what of that makes you think he's going to not be a downgrade over what we've currently got on the mic to Philip's ears?

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    He gets sold short. As a pure back-up, he's actually pretty damn good. Then again, some of the best pure backup QB's in the league aren't and never were great starting QB's. Remove Charlie from being in a position where he stands to have defenders flying at him right and left and he sees things extremely well - same thing with David Carr. There's a reason why Phil is so keen on having Charlie be the one with the headset on and the clipboard talking to him.

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Freeman is H.C. Greg Schiano's designated scapegoat. Schiano is trying to extend the range of his own employment.
    He also has a ready excuse for when Glennon fails: He's a rookie, it's expected. We're going to build the blah blah
    blah to suit his blah etc...
    He's claiming that he's not worried about his job security. Of course, what else would one say in that position that
    wouldn't come off as weak?
    He IS right about one thing. The team needs a change. We get to sit back and watch to see how long his boss figures
    out that the change that needs to happen involves punting Schiano.