1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the NFL expand the regular season to 17 games?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 25, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    17 regular season games a year? What do you think?

2. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I like it with certain specifics. I think what the NFL should do is have each team have one neutral site game for the seventeenth game. The international game can be part of that. I don't know what you would necessarily do with the other 16 neutral site games. Maybe you could have NFC neutral site games played at AFC stadiums.

I think the best thing to do would be to have an "NFL Stadium" in LA where all of the neutral site games could take place (except for the international game(s)) and they could all be the Mon. night games. I actually think that would be pretty sweet.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I just think that it's perfect the way it is.

For gambling purposes though I would be all for it. :lol:

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is a terrible idea, IMO.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It's usually a bad thing when it's a local SD writer I've never heard of, and he starts talking about baseball and golf in the same column.

Where do they find these idiots that write for the UT and NC Times?

6. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,319
    18 maybe, but 17... Thats not even...

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

My thoughts, exactly!!!

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    But it gives half the teams an extra home game. That wouldn't be fair.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The NFL was trying to first push this by saying the 17th game would be an overseas game.

Sure.

When that **** fails, but they keep the 17th game, it will all go to home games for the big markets. Same thing as giving NY that Saints game a few years back.

I hope they don't unbalance the schedule. We get screwed enough with travel, bye dates, etc. Can you imagine adding another factor into the inequity issues?

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The whole reason for this discussion is these international games.

Saints will lose a home game this season and I think it's a horrible decision, as everybody knows that New Orleans needs tourists.

Now let's beat up the players as much as possible before the playoffs so we can have this international game.

Europe cares as much about NFL as we care about soccer.
    The Super Bowl is celebrated over there as much as the World Cup is celebrated here.

We've seen lately that there are a few NFL fans over there but very few. Why do you think "NFL Europe" was a bust?

But since they're going to do it anyway, I say "NFL should pay the owner for a lost home game."
    Example: NFL owes Benson funds that would cover for a sold out game plus added expences for food and drinks that would have been purchased.
    I also think that Goodell needs to make it up to season ticket holders. Starting with no charge for that missed home game. Then something like a $90 certificate to that team's store with your season tickets."

So one team each season has to sacrifice a home game.

Bottom Line... all 32 teams should not be penalized each season for this new idea!!!!

11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    BTW, the plan as I currently understand it is that the extra home game would alternate between conferences (which would mean that the 17th game would be an extra interconference game)

So it would be "fair" as far as seeding and tiebreakers are concerned for the playoffs. All afc teams wold have the same number of home games. This is the only fair solution short of my brilliant "neutral stadium in LA since no one really wants to move their team there" idea

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

One international game ist "horrible" because someone is losing the homegame like NOS this year. But 16 international or national sites like LA will bring a 17th gameday to the white spots on earth, where they have no NFL football game. "NFL Europe" was closed, because it wasn't the real NFL only imported 2nd and 3rd stringers. But with real NFL teams coming, you can make a lot of money with merchandise around the world.

The 17th game will be booked as the 5th interconference game
    and not very high loaded for playoff contention. When they take away one preseason game and fill in the neutral games zero, one or twice into the normal schedule, it will be a show like Monday night football. From Japan, Frankfurt, London, Mexiko and Toronto....
    don't you think they can fill a stadium ? ... and perhaps the NFL council gets 1/3 of the money.

13. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    20 games would be great!:tup:

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Uh, there were over HALF A MILLION ticket requests for last years game in London. So, I don't think finding fan support would be a problem.

That said, I'd rather have that 17th game played in the U.S.

15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Hell yeah!!! One more extra week of Charger football would be awesome!

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Only if it's being played on Feb. 1 in Tampa. :yes:

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    So, in my veteran, Memorial Day state, what you're saying is that the 17th game would be a neutral site, interconference game and that the Chargers or other west coast teams would play in the Coliseum, or the Big A or the Oregon Duck's Stadium Against a regional NFC foe.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's what I'm talking about!! :tup:

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Perhaps it could be 49ers vs. Chargers at L.A.
    or Chargers vs. New Orleans in London but nobody loses 8th homefield.

20. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    If going to 17 with an experimental overseas game for each team simply as a steeping stone for going to 18 games I like it. Kill 1 and then 2 pre-season scams, errr, games and simply make inter squad scrimmages a bigger part of training camp and get more done in TC.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Wembley games in London draw well, but some people seem to think we can market the NFL in Europe, but I have serious doubts. As long as the Europe game is followed by and off week, then I don't have a problem with 17 games. Kids start playing soccer young in this country, so there is at least a small base of support for it in this country, but I don't any way to develop a base for football in Europe at large. NFL Europe went bust. Australia might be a better bet, but that is one hairy travel game.

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Australia has Rugby and Europe soccer - okay that's the main sport.
    But did you know, that there's is a league system in Germany since 1979 where they have German Bowl games with teams like Ansbach Grizzlies, Duesseldorf Panthers, Berlin Adler (Eagles) or Hamburg Blue Devils. All over the country exist teams who play flagfootball for juniors and solid football with seniors.

You know, that you need a lot of guys to start a team. Of course basketball is easier to teach. But if the NFL would be more televised on open sources, more clubs would be founded I'm sure.
    The best teams perhaps will get to lower college strength, but they
    get stronger every year. Only two players from the States are allowed to stay on the field. So bring the games to Cologne, Frankfurt or Berlin and th support will be there. Only the hardcore NFL-E fans are sour and cry "Boooh" when they hear about this.