1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should the USA Ban the rights to bear arms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BoltsFanUK, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Should America ban the rights to bear arms

Poll closed May 16, 2007.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    can we declare it here as man law?

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    You could, but I don't think it's official??:icon_shrug:

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Who are you?

4. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
  5. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Well I was refering to me also :tup: :yes: :icon_tease:

6. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Dodging the question, huh?

7. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Ok,Ok I'm a famous poster from SanDiego :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

8. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I am a close personal friend of leisure and you my friend are no leisure. :lol:

9. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not :icon_shrug:

:icon_rofl:

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
  11. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    :icon_rofl:

12. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

It all depends on whether you being the Dan Quayle of this forum is a compliment to you or not. :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    The British do have a sense of humor!!! :tup:

Bully for you chap. :icon_toast:

14. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    POTATOE???

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    How sad is it that that will be his legacy? :unsure:

16. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Very sad, but what did he do politically??

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not much :no: :tdown:

18. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    :tup: :tup:

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    An error by the Cubs 2nd baseman and a flair single has runners on 1st and 2nd, but a SAC bunt by Marcus failed to move the runners, and Brian GIDP :tdown:

20. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    :tdown: :tdown:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The answer to the questions is no in almost all cases, but the question itself is useless because only the smallest fraction of people favor an outright ban, but lots of people are stupid and ignorant enough to equate regulating guns along the lines of drivers licenses or booze as tantamount to a ban. I used to hunt. I used a Browning .270 Winchester with a Belgian FN Mauser bolt. I could shoot 3" inch groups with it at 250 + meters. All I ever needed. Just what possible justification is there for so many AK's or AR's or H&K's. I had a Browning .22 for small game, a .20 gauge Dakin side by side and a .12 gauge Browning Double Auto for birds and ducks. I now longer own them, no longer hunt.

Had a .22 Erma and a Navy .36 cap and ball. What in the world do people need Tech 9's and 10's, .41 Glocks and S&W's, Desert Eagles and Dirty Harry guns for? Home protection? A short barrelled .38 is way more than enough. Once had a reason to have one loaded in the house so I loaded the .20 gauge with #4 shot. More than enough and it wouldn't go through a wall.

Background checks, safety courses, gun locks, gun registration and assault weapon restrictions are all resonable and valid measures. Red Dawn fantasies are just pure crap. I'm more worried about the security of voting machines as a threat to my freedom. I'm more worried about some ******* with a gun in a road rage snit than I am about intruders. I have a one inch diameter maple cane that I once used. I practised Kendo. Great way to stay in shape for soft ball. Bet I could put somebody down with that stick as fast as I could with a gun and if it was stolen nobody would be robbing liquor stores with it. More guns kill family, friends and neighbors than evil doers. In fact, more guns kill the owners than bad guys.

Should we ban guns, yes or no? Give me a break.

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347

I used to use a three by five card that said the snakes were lose and the dog had been bit and I was at the vets.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I was with ya til the very end...I'd hafta see stats, cuz that sounds more like an opinion than fact.

As for assault rifles, etc, I tend to agree, tho the TEC-9's and AKs are in the hands of the bad guys. the SKS is an excellent hunting rifle, altho give me a Mannlicher for hunting, altho I don't.

I PREFER a .45, to any other caliber handgun, and I'm very good with it.

24. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    FBI has the stats in their annual reports. Gang killings are a different animal, but you'd be amazed at how many people die of accidental or suicidal self inflicted wounds, let alone the garden variety crime of passion. Problem is most people are better in their minds than they are when they face fact. Even people who have seen combat don't react like they used to after a while in civie life. The vast majority of murdered people are victims of those they know. Most natural pointing handgun I ever fired was a medium bore PPK. The Mannlicher is beautiful piece of work. Loved the ones with the full stock. SKS costs a bloody forturne.

25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    You kinda stepped off the path. Not only is a firearm for personal protection from thugs, but from a corrupt government as well. Red Dawn? Don't think so. Accountability? Absolutely.

As for the "Military Issue" weapons we should be allowed to have? That can be worked out to a sensible level of ownership.

Don't need any nutballs running around with a .50 mounted on his truck.:icon_eek:

Off the top, SKS is definetly a reasonable rifle. Loved mine till I had to "turn it in" :icon_eek: . Whatever became of that gun? I forget.:icon_huh:

As for a .38? You're gonna piss someone off if they happen to be armored and you don't hit 'em right. A .44 and up, if you get hit, you're not getting back up.

Ever try to wield a shotgun in the woods? The pig will have you by the leg by the time you get your barrel out of the briar patch. Handgun is quicker.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not sure what you mean by this. I've taught alotta folks, men and women, how to shoot a pistol, and I always start with a .45. Once they learn how to shoot the .45, they can shoot any caliber, but invariably they stay with the .45.

I stay away from revolvers...jes a personal preference.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Or perhaps Mitt ttiM? :icon_shrug:

28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I prefer a medium bore with a higher velocity. The PPK formed a natural line along my arm much more seemlessly than a gun like a .45 or even a Browning or Beretta. The guy who taught me how to shoot put golf tees in the barrel and then had me puncture potatos that he tossed in the air in front of me. Then we gradually backed off on targets with soft loads. In a week I could snap shoot within the accurage range of the gun. Old dude was former moonshiner from Arkansas. Back in the day, he had a still in a played out gold mine off of Steele canyon road when it was way, way out in the boonies.

The .38 is for protecting yourself in your home. Burglers and prowlers don't wear body armor. If your that worried, the round comes in some very hot loads. The .20 gauge with the number 4 shot works like a claymore. The shot does enormous damage, but won't hurt anyone on the other side of a wall even if it penetrates. As for the woods, have you any idea how fast even a pissed off bear will run from a marine air horn? I Garrontee all you'll see is rear end and feet. Works on jaguars who take a predatory interest in those taking pictures of frogs and butterflies in the rainforest as well.

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Guess it's a matter of personal preference. But if y'all indulge an ol guy, the air horn takes me back to my SOG days.

A friend of mine, very respected Recon Team Leader, took an air horn on a recon mission. His team made contact with enemy, and as he was reloading his CAR-15, his hand hit the air horn on his web belt. He hit the button and stayed on it for about 10-15 seconds.

When the freon ran out, all was quiet, the bad guys had high-tailed outta the area, and the team was exfilled without further incident.

Anahoo, that's my war story for today :D

30. vachargerfan

vachargerfan New Member

Ratings:
    +134
    They do that, you might as well use the constitution as toilet paper

• Like Like x 1