1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jul 31, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I mean Norv is headed this team for disaster!!! J/K!!!! :icon_tease: :icon_tease:

Sorry... I had to do that... but that is not the reason for this thread.

On a serious note... if no long term contracts have been signed before the real season begins, is there reason for concern?

At the minimum...

Rivers should be locked up NOW!!! He hasn't won us a Super Bowl (yet)... DO IT NOW!!

Lock up Jackson with restrictions!!!

Lock up Floyd!!!

THOSE THINGS NEED TO BE DONE BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!!

If not, reason for concern?

2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Rivers I couldn't agree more, we need to lock him up now.

Jackson... well, I think AJ is waiting to see how those legal issues end up. Could be his price will drop regardless of his performance due to his off-field issues.

M-80... man, I think Floyd is great, but I really feel like his durability is a concern. If he can make it through this season without injury then we should try resigning him for sure.

My biggest concern after PR is Merriman. Like LT, he WILL perform this year to a spectacular level. Unlike LT, this is Shawne's contract year (basically). He's mentioned before he wants respect and recognition for what he does more than the money, so I say AJ needs to listen and secure his future as a Bolt ASAP!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Throwing a ton of money at a guy coming off major knee surgery is unwise. I think once A.J. is convinced that Merriman is 100%, it will happen.

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    We need to sign PR, that'll allow us to Franchise Tag Merriman if there's a new CBA.

Jackson like already mentioned we should see how the legal process goes, and Floyd is iffy.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    There is zero chance, zero, that Merriman will ever sign a long term deal with the Bolts. Best we can hope for is a few franchise years before he is off to Baltimore. Like Sproles we will just have to enjoy the play while he is here.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    SIGN PHILLIP RIVERS NOW!!!!! :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

We gave up Brees for him and We have much reason to believe it was the right decision!!! :yes: :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    agree

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The Chargers not signing Rivers would be 100x worse than the Padres trading Jake Peavy.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    AJ has not let us down.

Many of us screamed when Drew walked, AJ was right, we were fine.

Many screamed when MJ walked, AJ has us with good replacements.

AJ will take care of the Chargers.

With the possibility (probability) of a capless season next year, contracts will be sticky at best. Keep the faith.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Except the Chargers might actually have a winning season...

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Not if they let Rivers go. (next year, of course)

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Same thing I was saying abut Brees...

AJ has things in control. He will provide. :tup:

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I have full confidence that Rivers will be resigned. I'm just saying that if he wasn't it would be a worse personnel (non) move for the Chargers than trading Jake was for the Padres and more devestating to the franchise.

That would be true even if the Padres didn't get any prospects in return for Jake.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I know, and I was teasing you about it! :icon_tease:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Unless that happens... sadly, I don't seem Merriman returning next season. He has that monster year as expected... he'll have crazy money thrown at him.

Then again... capless season = Death of NFL!!! :icon_evil:

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    It's not truly a "capless" season where teams can spend whatever they want.

Wish I could find the damn link on this, but IIRC, the most a team could spend is 30% over the current limit. Or something like that.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    One only has to do is look at the financial system in Major League Baseball to see the truthfulness of this statement. :yes:

18. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I'm sure Rivers' contract is in the making, he's our QB for the next years.
    I'm sure, too, we'll see Merriman only this season. He'll have a heck of as season.

There will be lots of targets for Philip Rivers, so the receiving corps will be mixed up. Jackson and Floyd can't be sure to be the go-to-guys. I'm excited to see how the playcalling will be, when the OL gets room for LT.

19. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Rivers will get re-signed. and Merriman, if he plays well will get franchised.

Like Conc said...take it easy.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I know one thing for sure, they're all under contract for this year and that's all that count's at this point. Let's wait and see how things shake out before we spend Deano's bucks.

Win the Ring, and the re-signing will get done. It's time to "win" or get the fawk out of Dodge, pay those that are winner's and let the rest walk. This year will be very interesting.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    While I agree with the overall sentiment, it's better to get Rivers signed now so that the tag can be used on Merriman.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Well said Conc!

[​IMG]

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We don't know what's going on behind closed doors, deals could be in the making. I want to see an all out effort, Now is the time. Don't tell me how great your are, show me. Then we'll talk.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I think Rivers has already shown us how good he is.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He has but I betcha he's passing on any attempt for a long term deal - if he gets the ring his price tag jumps up. If he doesn't he'll probably sign something similar to what they're currently talking about (probably 80mil contract).

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No contract talks no big deal to Rivers
    August 1, 2009 8:00 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

SAN DIEGO - There hasn't been any recent talks between the San Diego Chargers and star quarterback Philip Rivers regarding a contract extension.

Don't fret, San Diego. It just hasn't been a priority by either side. There are no problems, Rivers insists.

He is set to be a free agent after this season. There had been some preliminary talks, but Rivers said there haven't been any recent discussions. He believes both sides will come to an accord.

"There's nothing really gong on, but that's OK," Rivers said. "I want to be here and I'm sure I will be here. We'll get it done when the time is right. It won't be an issue."

Rivers will likely be given the franchise tag next year if an extension isn't agreed upon. It wouldn't a surprise if both sides are waiting to see how the Eli Manning negotiations play out in New York. Manning and Rivers were key components of a 2004 draft trade.

It's my opinion that Rivers and the Chargers will eventually strike a deal. He is a winner and he's the face of the franchise. He wants to be a Charger. The Chargers wants him to be a Charger. Franchise quarterbacks are difficult to come by. There is no way San Diego is going to let Rivers slip way. Chargers fans, don't worry if this takes a while. These things often take awhile to sort out.

The bottom line is Rivers will be the Chargers' quarterback for a long time.

The recent extension signed by Matt Cassel in Kansas City certainly didn't hurt Rivers. Cassel signed a contract that will pay him more than $40 million guaranteed in the first three years of the deal. Cassel was paid on his performance in New England in one season. Rivers is a proven starter, who has emerged as one of the league's best quarterbacks.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I never said any player hasn't shown us what he can do. I'm talking Lombardi, stats don't mean crap to me at this point.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Everyone wants the Lombardi, but when you're discussing contract talks you're discussing individual performances and stats.

Signing Rivers now instead of when free agency comes up does not remove the bottom line requirement to win a Super Bowl.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yankees owned MLB for many season.
    If the same thing happens in NFL, mind as will change the name to DFL or NYGFL.

30. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I guarantee Merriman won't be resigned!! Wish it could be, but it won't. The best we can hope for is that they tag him next year, otherwise, bye bye. Merriman is a beast who will require a TON of money, & rightfully so, but it won't be with us.