1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we become a run first team?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    It seems like our running game is working pretty well. Should we switch to a run first, short passing oriented offense? Our downfield homerun game is just not working. Philip is having trouble completing deep balls, and throwing lots of picks. Should we start dinking and dunking down the field instead? It may work out better for us. We have 2 backs that run well, and catch passes. It would be quicker routes, so plays wouldn't take so long to develop. A west coast style offense so to speak. What do you guys think?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am thinking more a 4-3 defense team. Nut right now I dont think our run or pass game is scaring anyone.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I think we need to go back to the basics and cool it with all the multiple formations and multiple shifts before every play. Simplify and then focus on what the teams does well. The coaching staff seems to have a horrible time of knowing what to do with certain personnel in certain situations.

Also, I completely agree with Conc. The 3-4 isn't working in SD anymore. Unfortunately, we don't have 4-3 personel.

Sad to say, but if we don't make a serious run later this year deep into the playoffs I think it may be time to blow this whole ship up.

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Seems like we never stopped being a run first team. Its just that we sucked at running the first few years under norv.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Doesn't being a run 1st team require us to have RB's that can stay healthy?

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    You'd think man. Maybe we can draft [​IMG]

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    This

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    We should make a move up in the draft to get trent richardson. Him and Matthews would b3e unbeatable. I say tack VJ and trade him to move up for richardson and become a power football team. If we had the rivers of now(last year) with the power type team of 06 we would easily be favored over greenbay to win it all. Back when we played power fb we were the best redzone team around and one of the best ever.

9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    the last thing we need on this team is to spend a 1st rnd pick on a running back..... what about spending a late 1 (hopefully 32nd overall) on a TE gates although still effective is clearly showing signs that these r his last few years. we could use a younger athletic TE to groom for gate's job

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Oh ya so let's just give up on the kid we traded up damn near 20 spots to get? Not gonna happen. I say this year we need to get some nasty defensive players....Give me a Donta Hightower or Vontaize Burfict. Give me some meat on the lines and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE GET CASON THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    not to even mention vjack wont even be under contract after this season....

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Our offense has been built as a pass first, run second team. Until the run blocking and the running backs can consistantly produce a running game other teams respect, you can expect about 3 times the passing yardage than rushing yardage.
    Right now, the running game is inconsistant and the passing game has gone into the tank. Right now, I'd settle for a "find any way you can to move the ball and score" offence...what a mess.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    YEah that would probably be a better Idea. If we wanna be a power team though with rifchardson and matthews we could run up the gut everydown and still have a shot. If norv is gonna call the same plays we need 2 all pro quality running backs so that one being fatigued or injured doesn't hurt us.

14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    norv isnt gonna change who he is.. hes a passing offense guru so lets give him some weapons to scheme plays up for (we do have weapons now but there constantly unhealthy) we need vjack/floyd/gates/mathews all healthy together because what happens is without gates people can double v jack with gates he demands a double which lets v jack do his thing on the outside but without him were forced on people like crayton and randy mcmichael to win there individual macthups

15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Have you not followed norv? He really does like to run the ball. He has produced league leading rushers or top teir performances before like frank gore in sf or stephen davin in washington. Problem is it just isn't working here for some reason.

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    have u not followed the chargers ?? he likes to utilize the running back in the passing game and run the ball to set up the deep pass... norvs whole game plan isnt that were gonna run the ball down their throats thats not norv at all..

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    It is that we're gonna run the ball down the throat, just so that we can pass like you said. Problem is, we aren't good at running but with two amazing backs like richardson AND matthews even our terrible o line play wouldn't matter. Look at what having such a back has done for chicago and their awful o line.

I know running backs are rarely drafted in the Top 10 picks anymore, but Trent Richardson should be.
    Richardson is the most complete back college football has seen in years. He’s a dangerous runner who can move the chains with tough running, but he has the speed to break away for long runs.
    He’s also a great receiver out of the backfield, a good blocker and even a capable return man.
    Richardson is as close to “can’t miss” as any running back since Ladanian Tomlinson left TCU.

18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    yeah the bears have forte (1 back) we have mathews... there are bigger holes in our team that would be getting adressed way before adding rb depth... if anything we need an elusive back in the mold of a jamal charles to compliment mathews .. trent richardson good back dont get me wrong but id be shocked to see him run sub 4.5 at the combine

19. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    People are saying he is expected to run a 4.35 or 4.37

Thats fast and LT like. Him and Matthews and we'd be unstoppable.

20. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    yeah everyone knows that 40 times are never legit how many people have u heard 4.3 from just to watch em go to the combine and run mid 4.5 ... theres no way im buying this kid is cj spiller/ jahvid best fast at the rb position

21. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    We'll see. You may be right. I'll agree he doesn't look that fast in college but all the scouts seem to be on that bandwagon. We'll see at the combine though. That speed and power word be dangerous in the nfl if its true.

22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I couldn't watch even half of his video. Whoever edited it for him should be fired, there were so many cuts that I couldn't figure out wtf was going on half the time. Oh, N4L your sig is going to give me a freaking seizure lol.

23. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    why its not like its japanese seizure robots?

24. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    It was pretty close. I actually had to look that one up lol.

25. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

For all those who don't know.... these are Japanese seizure robots.