1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Show your Geek side here... Gary Gygax dead at 69.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Boltage Bimbo, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    We must all tip our swords and battle axes and wave our magic wands in honor, for the Father of Dungeons & Dragons, Gary Gygax has died at the age of 69.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.ya...ons-amp-dragons-co-creator-dies-at-69/1192688

In an age when TV was limited, video games didn't exist and the internet was still an Al Gore fantasy, kids had to use there imaginations to be entertained. Gary Gygax gave us a world where dragons & monsters could be slain, damsels rescued and an outcast 90lb band geek could be a 200lb, axe wielding warrior who could get any fair maiden he wanted, all with pencil, paper and some strange looking dice. Show of hands out there from anyone who still has there 20, 12, 8 or 4 sided dice or at least nows what they are used for. Come on, I know you're out there, you probably play WOW now instead of old school table top role playing, but all you gamer geeks know who you are or were.

A lot of you have heard or uttered phases like:
    "I had a paladin once who..." or
    "My 8th level half-elf ranger kicks ***..." or
    "I use my wand of magic missiles..." or my favorite
    "I attack the darkness..."

Well I would like to see some of those stories here. Tell us you fondest or funniest gaming stories in memory of the creator of all things holy to the table top warrior.

Thanks Gary for helping us all create some great memories :flwers:

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Role Playing 101:

Lois: "I've been a naughty girl, I think I need a harsh spanking."
    Peter: "I'm a level 18 paladin. I have 98 hit points and have a Helm of Disintegration. It does 1d4 points of damage."
    Lois: "A paladin can't have a Helm of Disintegration!"

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sorry, I never played dungeons and dragons.

4. Boltage Bimbo

Ratings:
    +152
    That's too bad Thumper, you missed out.

Now come on you guys, I know there are more of you out there. Stop hiding and come share with everyone else. We won't laugh at you (not much anyway). I have to go now, but later I will share something when I get home.

:tup:

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I learnt to play in 6th grade and except for some years off in college have played with mostly the same people for the last 24 years. I used to go to gaming conventions and get a room and host parties. I won the convention tournanments for circus maximus, nuclear war cardgame and naval war one year. I also still play in a thursday night game with the same folk I golf with on Mondays. Yes I am a geek, but a very charming one. I was in the SCA too. so i'm a double geek.:icon_toast:

6. Boltage Bimbo

Ratings:
    +152
    Well Lash I knew there was something i liked about you and now i know what. We both took a ride on the geek train and never got off.

The hubby and I have been playing since high school and still have a regular Sunday game group to this day. We've done D&D 1st, 2nd and now third editions, Dragon Quest, Traveller, Deadlands, Seventh Sea, Shadowrun, Thieves World and many many more.

Plus, the hubby has been in and out of the SCA since he was 16, so he's a double geek too. :icon_tease:

Now if only more of the geeks that I know are on this forum would show themselves. We could take over and rule the place... Ha Ha Ha!!:icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Geek indeed .. but cool nonetheless .. :yes:

I think I played last in college but we could never get a regular game going so it died.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Thank you Gary, Rest In Piece. :icon_cry:

[​IMG]

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am a 15th level DM.