1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Showing some Hart

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 8, 2009

Chargers safety Clinton Hart feels like his old self and has a focus during training camp.

When Chargers safety Clinton Hart arrived at training camp, he’d put the neck injury that limited him in 2008 behind him, but until Friday, he was still physically carrying around a reminder of it.

“Today was the first day I practiced without the neck roll and it felt great,” Hart said. “There’s a weight off my shoulders because I had this stigma in my mind. I know I feel good but every time I put these pads on I was reminded of it.”

While he’s feeling 100 percent, Hart wore the extra protection during the first few days of camp for precautionary reasons. With the pads gone, Hart hopes he can completely leave 2008 behind.

“I didn’t play like I know I’m capable of,” Hart said. “I thought about it a lot this offseason. I’m trying to be more like the guy I was in 2007 and less like 2008. I feel like I’ve had a good first week of camp but I’ve got to get better every day and show people what I know I can do.”

Hart is in the middle of a battle for the starting strong safety job that he held for most of last season. On Friday he praised Steve Gregory, one of the men battling for time at strong safety, but ultimately Hart’s mind is on what he’s doing, not what others are.

“I’m just going to be positive and take it one day at a time,” Hart said. “The things I can’t control, I’m not going to let them bother me. It’s one step forward each day and remember what’s most important.”

Forney excused

Guard Kynan Forney, who Head Coach Norv Turner praised Friday for his work in camp, missed Thursday and Friday’s practices so that he could be with his wife. Alicia Forney gave birth to the couple’s fifth child Friday morning in Atlanta. The proud papa will return Sunday night and be back on the field Monday morning.

With Forney gone and rookie Louis Vasquez in a walking boot, second-year pro Corey Clark has worked with the first-team offense at right guard. While Clark mostly played right tackle in his short career, Turner likes that the former seventh-round pick is getting some work inside.

“It great because Corey’s getting an opportunity to jump in there and go,” Turner said Friday morning.

Jammer returns

Cornerback Quentin Jammer had a headache Friday morning following his big collision with Eric Weddle Thursday. The eighth-year pro missed the morning practice but was back on the field Friday afternoon. Weddle was held out with an ankle sprain and will miss a couple of days.

“His knee hit my ankle,” Weddle said. “I’m just glad (Jammer) is alright.”

After the incident, Turner was asked if he’d like his players to be more careful on the practice field. It was a notion that he shot down.

“I don’t want anyone to tone it down,” Turner said. “Our guys do a great job of taking care of each other. That was a freak play and we were very fortunate that something serious didn’t happen. I think our guys have a great understanding that if we’re smart in how we practice – I’m not saying be careful – have physical practices and take care of each other, we’ll be healthy when the season starts.”

Others missing Friday’s work included linebacker Larry English (hamstring), defensive end Jacques Cesaire (calf) and cornerback Brandon Hughes (hamstring).

Baby boom

Forney is one of many Chargers who added one to the fold recently. Jammer, Weddle, Jeromey Clary and Cesaire had children this offseason, and the wives of Jacob Hester, Nate Kaeding and Dave Binn are all expecting in the next couple of weeks.

Officials visit

A group of NFL officials were on hand at Chargers to participate in practice and speak to the team about rule changes made this offseason.

The most significant changes revolve around player safety. On kickoffs, Teams are no longer allowed to form a wedge consisting of more than two players. Also, it’s now illegal for an offensive player to deliver a blindside block by using the helmet, shoulder or forearm to deliver a blow to a defensive player's head.

“I think that any time there’s a new rule implemented, there’s a good reason for it,” Turner said. “There’s a lot of thought that goes into it. You have to adapt and understand what they are. That’s why the officials are here. We’ll adjust to their rules. I believe the changes they made will make it better and help eliminate some of the big collision injuries that might happen.”

There was also a change made to instant replay. In the past, if officials ruled an incomplete pass on the field, they were not able to review it to see if the quarterback actually fumbled, such as the situation that doomed the Chargers in Week 2 of last season. Such plays are now reviewable.

“It’s a good change,” Turner said.

FanFest Saturday
    Fanfest 2009, sponsored by Bud Light, will take place at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday beginning with the autograph session at 10:15 and practice immediately after from 11-1 p.m. Parking and admission are free. The parking lot will open at 8 a.m. and stadium gates at 9:30 a.m.

FanFest will feature the debut performance of the 2009 Charger Girls, followed by an opportunity for autographs. Free interactive games will be located on the plaza concourse and concession stands will be selling hot dogs for $1.00 each.

The team will hold another open practice Wednesday night at Qualcomm as well.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    August 8 1:33 ETAn attendance of 19,014 for today's practice has been announced by the Chargers.

3. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Anybody could have had a better season than the 2008 season Hart had, so obviously a 2007 season would be better than 2008.

Question, how good was Hart in 2007?

I can't really remember him being anything above average. Could someone please refresh my memory? (Trumpet Man?)

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He always looks great in tc and practice, then he gets in a game and shits himself.

Cut him.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hart is vulnerable. I imagine we'll see a lot of him and Ellison in the exhibish. Gregory will push him, too. I'm keeping an eye on him and Marques Harris on the veteran roster.

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    We don't hear to much about Kevin Ellison :icon_shrug:I thought he was going to push Hart out...

7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    So, you're watching the 49ers now? :icon_shrug:

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Nice to see that Antionio Cromartie was not mentioned in this paragraph.

[​IMG]

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He still has more than all the ones born this year.

:lol:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    OOPS. Brain fart. He was already shipped out.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :popcorn:

Pictures??

:drool:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Anybody know if Hart gave Trumpy his neck roll? :lol:

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    He did. Trumpy asked him not to wash it.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wonder if he knows where Hart kept it when he slept ..... :icon_twisted: :icon_tease: