1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SI: Fearless Prediction on Chambers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/10/18/five.things/1.html

By Don Banks
    3. I think San Diego's trading-deadline acquisition of Miami receiver Chris Chambers will look better and better all the time. Sources close to the situation in both San Diego and Miami say the Chargers just might have made their version of New England's Randy Moss gambit -- picking up a talented pass-catcher who will greatly elevate his game now that he's on a winner and surrounded by so many great play-makers.

That comparison sounds a bit overstated when you consider that Chambers had just one 1,000-yard receiving season in his six full years in Miami and went to the Pro Bowl only after the 2005 season. As it also happens, Chambers is currently working on a 14-game touchdown drought. No matter. Sources insist that his impact with the Chargers -- who had 11 Pro Bowl players and five All-Pros last season -- will be far more significant than the role he played in the moribund Dolphins offense.

There's certainly a need for a big-play No. 1 receiver in San Diego. The Chargers had to put Eric Parker on IR this week with a broken toe that has idled him since summer, and no San Diego receiver has more catches than Vincent Jackson's 20. Quarterback Philip Rivers' top two targets are once again tight end Antonio Gates (43 receptions) and running back LaDainian Tomlinson (25). Rivers has thrown just three touchdowns to Chargers receivers, as opposed to a combined four to Gates and LT.

Chambers' impact on the Chargers offense should be evident quickly. He played for Norv Turner when the San Diego head coach was the Dolphins offensive coordinator, and is familiar with Turner's offensive schemes, routes and formations. If even helps that San Diego also still uses much of the same offense that it did under former offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, whose system Chambers played in this season in Miami.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I can't believe we have to wait another week to see some Chargers football.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Works for me.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I know, Chambers will be so much better! :D

5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    DUHhhhhh. BTW good work on that Jaigar bomb. Wait haha I ran out of redbull so Jaigar. I wonder how RTL felt?

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I want them to note that not a single Charger fan is stupid enough to seriously make that comparison.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    At least we get to see Chambers's debt at home!!!!! :bolt: :flag: :abq2: :abq1:

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't care about how much he owes, but I am looking forward to his debut.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :lol:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    My point exactly. Chambers raised the potential of everyone on the offense, even LT and Gates-even with the occasional clank.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Bolt's become a completely different team than they were just last week. Now we have something for DC's to worry about. Mr. Rivers must step up his game now, there is no excuse unless the O-line reverts back into swiss cheese.:bolt:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I thought we always had stuff for DC's to worry about?:icon_huh:

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Do I have to spell it out with 11, 8X10 glossy photos with a paragraph on the back explaining it to you. :icon_shrug::icon_huh::icon_tease:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That would be nice. Can I get some popcorn to go with the presentation?!:lol:

16. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That's what the talking heads on ESPN said. In fact one said that the biggest benefactor will Gates as hard as that is to believe.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Rivers needs to hook up with Chambers on the field. Rivers also needs to play like we know he can, Cincy & Denver last year come to mind.:bolt:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    While I agree with all of this I do have one worry.

The way you defend the Chargers now, attack Rivers.

He has not been reacting to pressure very well, and teams have seen that they can make him throw it up for grabs if he has people swiping and him and pushing him.

I hope this doesn't make teams go more aggressive on rushing the passer now.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If we have 3 WR's on the field (Gates, Jackson, Chambers) it'll be immensly hard to send mulitple linebackers and safeties without the risk of giving up a huge play. It's just too many weapons you need to respect.

20. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    First play from scrimmage vs Houston...GO DEEP TO CHAMBERS...Let his presence be known...The rest of the day he gets the double team and Gates and LT have carrer freakin days (BOTH)...You heard it hear first amigos....

T Bizz

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I like it....I like it a LOT!
    [​IMG]

22. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Teams aren't going to ignore Gates in favor of doubling Chambers, they are gonna double Gates and leave Chambers man on man. Gates is still a much better pass catcher than CC is. Chambers should be able to exploit that single coverage though and maybe then we'll stop seeing 8 in the box and LT can rush for 2000. Imagine LT running at 7 man fronts all year.......:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly 400. CC will get single coverage most of the time. And THAT's when the real fun starts!!! :abq2:

24. imported_Bolt_Attack

imported_Bolt_Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey, I looked for you at the Raider game, where were you?

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    There won't be a primary benefactor from Chambers play. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems, with the exception of Malcolm, who DB's are dumb enough to mostly ignore on those occasions when he's on the field, both VJ and Gates seem to be in a crowd when the the ball gets to them unless there's a break down in assignments. VJ's lone catch on Sunday looked like an Afghan Bushkazi. I give him props for that one catch, even though it was a foot short of the first. Gates looks like he's daddy carrying DB's piggy back in his patterns sometimes. Chambers will open the field up for everyone. If I was Rivers, I'd open up with a pass play staring down Chambers over the middle and then looking for Gates or VJ on opposite edges. I don't care if Chambers clanks once in a while. When he doesn't clank, your in deep doo doo if you've got one guy on him. It's the same with Gates. It's the same with VJ. All this without even mentioning LT. ONE guy dropped out of the box is all it will take. I'll take LT with six or seven in the box instead of eight any time. That's this year. Rivers is going to be loving life when Parker gets back next year. Rivers is a young guy who leaned on EP with good reason. I understand. Took me a whole season to get over my first girl friend-over a lineman, for Christ's sakes.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Good points. We haven't even mentioned guys like Buster Davis and even Manu that if they get them involved this is going to be fun, fun, fun. Hell, Norv hasn't had weapons like this since his COWBOY days with JJ!! I like the idea of going "Deep to Chambers!" That will back any mofo's up right there. I agree with you all to "Hit 'em Deep" the first play. Fly pattern Rivers to Chambers right off the bat baby!! TOUCHDOWN SAN DIEGO!

[​IMG]

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the way that you think, RC! :lol:

Unless Chambers and/or PR really flops, this will be a big acquisition for the Chargers. Like RC said - everyone should benefit. :icon_banana::icon_banana:

28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Even an allergic pig finds a truffle once in a while.

29. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's a new one.