1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SI: The Chargers are not looking like L.A.'s team.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/21/preseason.week2/index.html

All along, we've thought San Diego was the most logical team to go to the new Los Angeles stadium project, because the San Diego city fathers have balked at building the Chargers a new stadium -- or helping them significantly to build one. But the vibe between the Chargers and officials with the stadium project isn't good.

Chargers attorney Mark Fabiani told ESPN it would take a "miracle'' to break ground in the next year for the AEG site in downtown Los Angeles near Staples Center. To which AEG point man for the project Tim Leiweke told the Los Angeles Times: "I think the problem with the Chargers is, [Fabiani] can sit here and talk about all the things we need to go through, but the last time I checked, they've been doing it for 10 years and they're nowhere. And the difference between us and them is we've got a guy [Phil Anschutz] willing to write a check for a billion. They've got zero financing, zero entitlements, zero design, zero deal with the city, and zero property that ultimately is not contaminated. Good luck."

And he said the Chargers "are not the only belle at the ball."

Interesting, to see the sniping between the two sides so many thought would eventually become partners. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders take San Diego's place as the leader in the L.A. clubhouse, though Oakland has a sordid business history in southern California, and the Chargers have one thing the Raiders don't have: a quarterback (Philip Rivers) to put on billboards throughout Los Angeles.

Now onto the places I've been and things I've seen for week three of my camp tour with the USO.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...8/21/preseason.week2/index.html#ixzz1Vmv1G7AE

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    As I posted somewhere else on this site, told ya so...

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    One of the LA City Council members was on XX 2 weeks ago, and said that even if all things went as expected, ground wouldn't be broken for 24 months, and teh stadium would be ready by the start of the 2016 season.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Either town is about the same distance for me .... 3k miles.

I'm invested in this team, wherever they go (unless it's Texas!!! :rolleyes: )

Gotta suck for many of you feeling that this is hanging over the franchise year after year.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Been sayin' the same thing for years, as I too live in Va. Difference is up until a few weeks ago I was unsure of my future as a fan if the team moves, I'm with you now as I support the players, the team, the logo. Still I want them to stay put, as I'm sure you do.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I want them to stay put for my San Diego friends. Other than that, I don't much care. They started in LA so it wouldn't be entirely traitorous to the history of the team.

What I DON'T want to see is another taxpayer-subsidized capital asset handed to a billionaire so he can make ends meet. Screw that mentality.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I don't know how I will feel if they move. I kinda feel I have a relationship with SD as a city/place to visit now. LA, to me, is so unattractive.

Like Buck says, for all my SD pals, I truly hope they get a new downtown stadium and stay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    If I did have my preference, I would want the Chargers to stay in San Diego. But I am still not 100% sure they are going to be staying...

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I have seen this line of thinking before and I just don't see it. One year in L.A., 50+ years in San Diego, so it's all good if they go back to L.A. because they spent one year there?

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Did I say that? I have said repeatedly that,for you locals sake, I hope that they can find a reasonable way to stay put. If you want to spin the rest, have at it.

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    As a season ticket holder in LA, I'm tired of people asking me how happy I'll be if the Bolts moved up here. It's quite the opposite. I grew up and went to school in SD. I go down there for all the games because it's like going home. It's where they belong. I frickin' HATE the idea of suddenly having to share them with Los Angeles. Honestly, I'd almost rather they relocated somewhere far away than moved up here to LA. It's not easy to articulate why Im so opposed to them being here in LA, but partly because there are just too many reasons to try to describe them all.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    THIS!

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I was responding to that line of thinking, one I have heard several places, most recently in your post. Just the theory that since we played one year there five decades ago, somehow it's all good. Relax.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Respond how ever you wish. And I am relaxed. I merely stated that it wouldn't be totally unheard of/traitorous for the team to reconsider a move to LA since that WAS their original birthplace, whether for only 1 year or not.

Once again - hopefully they don't move for a few reasons, particularly for the SD local fans' sake. I don't really care otherwise.

15. BoltEsq

BoltEsq BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been listening to LA sports stations for the past couple months and for the most part, they've already considered that Chargers move to LA a foregone conclusion. Some even referring to them as the Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego (a reference to the Angels). I've been a fan for 31 years; it's sad and frustrating to think that this might possible be the last year they're here. Sadness and frustration is probably what led me to join this board after all these years.

I apologize if this has been posted in another topic, but how many of you will remain a Chargers fans if they do indeed make the move up north. As for myself, I'd be done. The Chargers would be dead to me. As much as it pains me, I may have to switch team.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    there are a lot of us who feel the same way. We talk of meeting out on Fiesta Island and having a huge bon fire. In my mind I would never again support the NFL. And why would I need all that stuff.

But as long as they play in Qualcomm I will support them as best as I can.

17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Is become a Baltimore fan first and foremost probably

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that's assuming there won't be some sue happy tree hugger who tries to stop the construction at every turn

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    That's because there are no trees in Los Angeles...

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I was joking around with a couple of Steelers fans. I told them I was jumping on the Steelers bandwagon if the Chargers moved. They said it was okay and there was plenty of room. Then I told them I was pulling for the Steelers in the Super Bowl, and I also informed them that every team we pull for has never won anything. I was officially kicked off the Steelers bandwagon that monday.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    And you didn't throw up in your mouth just saying it?

• Like Like x 2