1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sign LT, Merriman, VJ and 2 big name FA's...or re-sign Rivers at all cost.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Surprised no one has ever considered the idea of trading Rivers. He is at peak market value and we might be able to net 2 #1's for him......Plus his contract demands will be over 120MM after leading the NFL in passing......in really his ONLY year as an elite QB.

You almost never want to trade your franchise QB...but consider that we went 14-2 when Rivers was basically just asked to turn around and hand the ball off to LT....and try not to throw INT's that would cost the Chargers the game. In Rivers' best year we go 8-8 and back into the playoffs because the Broncos suck.

Trading Rivers would certainly allow us to sign Merriman...IMO, a more important player.....Keep LT while transitioning a young RB.....get extra draft picks...and sign a couple of big name FA's. I would definitely have considered trading him for Cassel and a #1 pick.

We can keep Rivers and he can become Dan Fouts with no superbowl rings and less talent.....Or we can trade him for a really nice return....save his monster cap space...and round out our already formidable team....Just a thought.

2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    This is bad logic. You're basically saying that we went 14-2 when we did pretty much nothing but rely on LT, but went 8-8 when Rivers had a huge year. You're ignoring the terrible defense, and the fact that without Rivers having his elite year we'd be like 5-11 or some crap like that.

Trading Rivers now would be the worst possible thing the Chargers could do.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd say "sign Rivers now." If he demands Roethlisberger type of money, all AJ has to do is look at his hands and say "I don't see any rings."
    Merriman might have uped his value BUT there are two vices... four game suspension and him missing an entire season.
    LT is in the process now. Hopefully all works out.
    VJ having two DUIs can also be a vice.

Depending on what the players want, something can work out.
    Like Rivers for example... does he want great receivers, running backs, offensive line, and defense to help him out or does he just want the biggest money possible?

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    crack is whack man...

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    OH ****!!!
    (Syd, YOU ROCK!!!)

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Just say you HATE Rivers for once and for all. You HATE the fact he's become the focus of the offense.

"Sign a couple of big name FA's"? To do what? Have you not paid attention to how this team does things? Sign Cassel? Cassel? He picked apart WEAK defenses which is why his team went 11-5 and then they only got a 2nd round pick for him. :lol:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jaysuss! Rivers hasn't peaked yet and you want to trade him after he has showed elite talent? We got to 8-8 because of Rivers and his arm. Rivers definitely deserves elite money and he'll get it. There is no one else we could realistically get our hands on who even comes close.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You don't trade a franchise QB. Period.

This is by far the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

9. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Agreed, and why would the Pats want to make a trade for Rivers when they have Boy Wonder (Brady)?

IMO, Cassel is just and avg QB that had a decent year in an explosive offense. Wait until next year when he has no O-Line, a RB that doesn't want to be there and one good WR. :tdown:

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahha trade rivers to sign merriman?? ahah im with you dood, this guy has gone off the deep end, drugs are bad bro! lol

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  12. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    :tdown: Most Flawed And Retarded Logic EVER...

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Its too late, this is Rivers team now ! :yes::tup::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Have you been watching the games? For what Rivers has been having to deal with (he could throw better to LT in the flats) and still prove he helps win more by far than what he loses...You gotta look closer at the game. 11 guys make up a play. His QBing has been solid. He's not the only QB that's given up INT's and fumbles. I'm pretty sure he ranks in the top in protecting the ball.

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Nice...Look at all the hate....In case anyone was too dumb to figure it out...this thread was in direct response to Ride-Rivers'-Meatstick's idiotic poll bashing LT.

I'm a Chargers fan first...Not an LT lover or Rivers hater....In fact I actually like PR but continually end up having to use him as a counter argument to all of the over zealous former NC State Rivers Jock Riders on here who get all in a dither whenever someone still considers LT to be an essential part of this team.

That being said...If we can consider anything...including releasing LT or whatever.....Why not throw the idea of trading Rivers for a king's ransom out there.....crazy as it may sound.....Maybe we don't end up with a QB who is as efficient....but if we had a solid QB, saved mega cap space, and strengthened the rest of our team in the process, we might be looking at a really good team.

As AJ likes to say....You are what your record says you are...We were 8-8 last year with Rivers having what was his probable career year. We were 14-2 when he was a barely above average caretaker for this team. We shouldn't open the vault for him and neglect the rest of this team.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers wins playoff games.

Without LT.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Ok,so you hate Rivers and ride LT's "meatstick". Fine. You want AJ to sign two nameless big FA's. Gotcha. You want fries with that?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Actually, Volek won one of them. Since we want to rag on LT not playing well while hurt, Rivers didn't exactly light it up against NE in the AFCCG. Volek should have started that one.

19. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

No. I want the Chargers to win a championship in San Diego. You just want Rivers to get paid and could give a chit about the rest of the team.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Yep. I just want it to be Rivers vs. the NFL. BTW, check my sig.

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Whatever...

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Actually Rivers played most of the game and did pretty well, Volek had the one(very important) drive

23. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    OK...I've let this go on long enough. This is a good day in San Diego...I apologize for the thread and anyone I've offended. This was a knee jerk reaction to the other ridiculous thread I saw...but now that LT has signed and the team is moving in the right direction, I'm going to cease my mini war with the Rivers faithful. I like Philip and I'm glad he's our QB. I just want a superbowl. This year....and it can happen. Let's hope AJ has one more move up his sleeve before draft day. Let's focus our venom where it belongs....on the Broncos and Raiders.

24. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Don't forget about the Pats and Steelers!! :bolt: :icon_toast: