1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sign Terdell Sands NOW!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We don't have a true 3/4 NT on our roster now that Jamal is gone and they don't grow on trees....I'm not a huge fan of Sands...but the guy is enormous and I've seen him do the job well enough against us. We need a big space eater if they are going to continue to run the 3/4. No one is going to trade us a good NT as they are hard to come by and a lot of teams are now running the 34.

2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Nwagbuo is listed as second on the depth chart and Coleman was just re-elevated from the PS. I don't think that AJ needs to get all panicky and sign some raiders reject...its not like he'd come in like Seymour and make a difference...

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Sands is basically the only guy in the FA market (next to Shaun Smith) who has the size necessary to be a nose tackle. No one denies his power, he's just not a good pass rusher or very quick - again what we need in a 3-4 NT.

I agree, sign him ASAP

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Can't say I know anything about him...

But I guess I'd feel better about some action than no action.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    In a nutshell, he's got prototypical size / strength for a 3 technique NT....He's huge at 6'7 340......BUT....a career underachiever....described as a little lazy and lacking in motivation.

Bottom line, I think some people are missing the fact that an effective 3/4 NT is a LOT different than your typical DT....Jamal is physically far bigger and stronger than anyone we have except for the far to raw Vaughn Martin....We are already thin at DE....Luis Castillo is brittle as glass.....We need a big body to rotate in.....We won't find this in a trade.

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're right, Jamal out is serious but not to panic.
    There's still Vaughn Martin being in the learning process.
    He could move to NT, when OG Nwagbuo needs depth
    and hopefully Cesaire will be back again soon. WE shouldn't take a free agent who is doing well but doesn' t fit.

7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I have the feeling that we will go to either 2 or 4 down linemen when Oggy needs a rest. As I said before, I leave it up to RR to find a way to use what he has and get the win.

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Ordinarily I'd say signing someone who couldn't cut the mustard in Oakland would be right up there on the list of dumbest things to do...but what we have obviously ain't getting it done. And with MIA and PIT next in the queue we can expect more of the same in terms of getting the ball run down our throats.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess...

9. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Moss was an underachiever in Oakland as well. Something about playing for a crappy organization just makes you not give F**k. Maybe coming to a playoff contender and surrounding himself with pros will make him more motivated. I do remember when he played the chargers and had an awesome game.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have nothing to lose by bringing in Sands.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd rather we sign Sands than the Boone dude. JMHO.