1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sign Vincent Jackson!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Dec 16, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    As shown tonight in the 49ers, Chargers game, he still got it!!! I think the Chargers should sweep everything under the rug and sign him for at least 4 years at around 7 million per year before the season ends and before he becomes a free agent. If they do it now, while he is on fire, he will be joyous and feel rewarded and accept and not say "fuuck you AJ, I want out". We are definitely better with him than without. Cmon Chargers, SIGN HIM!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sure he will be signed. But we will see...

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    According to Concudan :"VJ is dead to me"

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah even with VJ as like our only starting quality receiver or TE or there he has 2 td and like 100 yards. We Need him. VJ and gates healthy will get us lombardis as long as we have pr. VJ>FLoyd.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Because one good game negates how well the offense has performed all year without him?

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I heart PR

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    VJ is by far the best wide-receiver on this roster. AJ needs to find some way, any way to sign him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. springerman

springerman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    He has only played in two and 1/4 so not bad...

9. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    make that 3 tds

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    one game shows how much better we could've been and can be with him...

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Because the offense has been playing like **** up until this point?

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    No one said that. The offense was doing good things all year long but it is more complete and more of a threat with VJ on the field

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    exactly. With VJ we might be fighting for a 1st round bye!

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Jackoffson ran though a bad defensive backfield, now he's a HOF'er??????

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Get off his nuts. Our offense has been a problem in MAYBE one game.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

VJ wanting to kick Concudan in the nads to let him know he is back.

17. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I don't think any one said that. Look, its obvious how elite this guy is. Not to mention the trust our QB has in him to make a play and .......uhhhh Catch the ball! His hands are awesome, he's tall and physical, he is fast, his awareness of the side lines and out of bounds are awesome, he blocks well and so on and on and on. The combination of this QB and this receiver gives defensive coordinators headaches. Then throw a healthy gates in there and a decent running game and the offense is a dream team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    According to Trampy, "VJ faked his injury"

19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    No doubt the offense been good all year without him. But who wants to be "good" when we can be "great"? Sign the man.

20. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Exactly! Now is the time. Maybe AEG will have something to say about it?

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I have to admit our offense is more lethal WITH VJ, but the question is what will be the cost?? I'm just hoping AJ and VJ can find a way to mend their differences for the good of the team AND Vj and his agents can make more reasonable demands moneywise. I mean, you can tell VJ really likes the rapport he has with Rivers and the rest of his teammates. Maybe VJ will come to his senses and lower his demands OR Dean overrides AJ's decisions to resign him. A healthy Gates, VJ and Floyd with this running game is pretty deadly. Say all you want about that bad 49er secondary, but VJ is a beast!

22. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Rivers to VJ is a great pairing. Hopefully dean will find a way to cough up a few more figures and keep this relationship going.:icon_toast:

23. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I hope we resign him. I don't think Floyd can ever be counted on to play a full season and VJ has proven to be much more durable. I also hope we sign Garay to a long term deal. That was a great find and it's even sweeter that we stole him from the Jets practice squad.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If we can keep him and put some kind of STOP BEING A DRUNK MORON clause in his contract which lets us void it if he gets busted again, go for it. Otherwise, we proved we can manage w/out him. Are we better with him? Absofuckinlutely, and this is my current preferred stance. Can we survive without him? Yes, but do not want to.

Hell of a game tonight and it's painfully obvious he is Rivers #1 go to WR and they have great chemistry together.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Right there with you on this.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It is a double edged sword

We have proven we can have a top flight offense without Vincent Jackson
    but with him we become even better

Rivers can throw well to any number of receivers
    but has a special relationship and ability with Jackson

VJ said he wanted to be a Charger, now there's a chance taking him at his word to see if he does and what it'll take

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What it will take:

Guarantee he won't ever get in trouble with the law again. It's a huge gamble, but I think he might be worth the risk, as long as there is language in the contract that absolves the team if he indeed does screw up again.

I'm hoping he has grown up and put that mess behind him, will be with us for the rest of his career, and we'll have many more games like tonight to rejoice in.

28. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Pay the man. 8-9m is fine. Or tag him. Either one is fine for me.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Honestly, I think the simple solution may be the franchise tag in 2011. Assuming there is a new CBA there will still be a franchise tag (it's not in the interest of any of the small and medium market teams - nor really the majority of the players union - to remove it from future CBA's; for every Julius Peppers that gets "hosed" for 2-3 years of being tagged and never getting extended or traded, there are multiple Darren Sproles' and Aubrayo Franklin's who get paid Top 5 money when they're nowhere near to Top 5 at their respective position).

The franchise tender is not a guaranteed lump sum, it's still broken down evenly into game-checks. So Jackson gets paid the annual salary (at least for a year) that he feels he rightfully deserves, the Chargers have a safe-guard in that if he messes up again and gets a suspension he is suspended without pay (feel free to correct me on this, but the team would have grounds to withhold pay), there's still the option to trade him if a big return could be garnered (which it's hard to think he's not boosting his stock with performances like tonight's), and if he makes it through Week 13-14 of next season without incident, he's at the front of the line and deservedly so for the extension - still with riders on the guaranteed monies tied to his not earning a league-issued suspension over the first 3 years of the contract (precedent set by Marshall's contract).

If Spanos is the cheap bastard so many want to make him out to be, this works out swimmingly for him too as he would already have unloaded his lion's share of ownership to the new buyer, so they'd be the one's on the hook to shell out the largest chunk of VJ's signing bonus and potentially on the hook for the bulk portion of his guaranteed money.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Honestly .... I didn't expect to see VJ on the field in a Chargers' uni again. Seemed that too much had transpired to sour the relationship.

Not one of us here knows how it will end up. I think VJ got some bad advice from his agent. I can't fault him for wanting long-term security but you have to also look at the knucklehead side of the equation. IMO, the smart thing would have been for him to come in at the original tender & show the club that he could keep his nose clean & play ball at a high level. Water under the bridge now.

Would it be preferable to have a team full of guys who never sniff a police blotter? Sure .... but I don't think that's reality. Sometimes the bad has to be weighed with the good. VJ DOES make this offense more potent. He wouldn't have changed our ST screw-ups though, would he?

I'm for signing him but with a "good behavior" clause, as others have already suggested. Not at all sure that he'll go for the franchise tag. That will depend on how he feels his stance this year worked out. If he feels that it wasn't such a smart move, then he may well be willing to go that route. If not, then he's still going to be looking for the same thing as before - long-term financial security. Based on how he's looking right now, I'd say someone will pony up.

Do you really wanna see him as a Bronco, AJ? or a Jet?