1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Silent result of Gregory move

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bergo23, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    The more he sees the field, the more impressed I am with him.

From Chargers.com
    Benefiting from change When the Chargers moved Steve Gregory to the slot last week, it meant more playing time for Paul Oliver, who took Gregory’s previous role as the strong safety in the nickel package. Oliver had his second-career interception last week.

“I just enjoy being out there and I’m loving the chance to play more and help my team more,” Oliver said. “I thought I played pretty well at the end of the season last year and I want to build on that.”

The third-year pro also saw the field regularly late in 2008 when injuries caused the Chargers to mix things up a bit in the secondary. In his tweaked role, Oliver picked up where he left off a year ago.

“Paul is a guy that when he’s gotten the opportunities he’s responded very well,” Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera said. “The thing that really impressed me last year was his approach and preparation. It carried over to this year. This was an opportunity to see what he could do.”

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Good to see a guy step up and make plays when he gets his chance.

Oliver can both hit and cover, so right there he's an improvement over Hart.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Always said Oliver can play and i dont know why it is taking so long to get him in there more. Hart has stunk but Oliver shouldnt have to wait for Hart to get caned to get playing time. I think Oliver is just as good a player as Cason if not better but thats just me.

I wouldnt feel uneasy at all if Oliver had to play CB again.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    melvin pervis would be an improvment over hart. Harts problem was he was always a day late and a dollar short. He just never had the ablity to recognize what was going on.

5. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Gregory is fast, too. And, yes, Oliver seems to be catching on nicely.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    My man Steve is nails!.

:icon_toast:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Before we crown these guy's All-Pro, let them play a few more games. I'm glad they've shown good but that was the Chief's ya,know.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I don't know who Melvin Pervis is, so I'm not in a position to bicker with you. :icon_shrug:

9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't see anyone talking about all-pro but you. I guess we can't say anything good about a player lest it seem homerish. Most are glad to see SG step up and have a good game.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't believe I called anyone out for that. Just stating we need to see more of them in game action. One good game doesn't make a season.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I believe Melvin Purvis was one of the original G-men, predating the FBI. I'm not quite sure of the name spelling but I think that's who he was.

12. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60

Dublin Bolt hasnt stopped talking about Gregory. Its Stevie this, Gregory that. I had to listen to it all last Sunday night in the pub.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Melvin Purvis(sic.) carried a Thompson with a drum magazine. Definitely would have made a difference.