1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Lining

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SD Superchargerz, Nov 10, 2011.

1. SD Superchargerz

SD Superchargerz His smokeness

Ratings:
    +2
    At least if we can't pull this season together there will be a silver lining in the offseason. We will draft high in a draft with alot of talent and maybe we can find the missing pieces we need like another stud wr, a rt and another linebacker. I'm hoping we pull the season together so we can finally bring home the lombardi but if we don't who do you guys want to see in SD next season that will put this team over the top?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I wouldn't say firing Norv is enough....but it would be gigantic step forward if we could find our Hue Jackson.

Someone under the radar, with balls, who will put the screws to this pansy *** roster.

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    AJ will blow whatever pick he gets.

Time for a regime change.

Frankly, I wish the Spanoses would sell the team.

• Like Like x 5
  4. SD Superchargerz

Ratings:
    +2
    I meant in terms of players. Everyone I know thinks norv's head will roll if he doesn't win tonight. I don't want to get into this cliche topic though since it has its own thread. I would say I like someone like Rob Ryan or Vic Fangio to coach us if we end up getting a new coach.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Norv's head should roll weather we win tonight or not.

Player wise we need a RT....like we have for the last 3 years.
    We need a SS like Bob Sanders should have been.
    We need a TE with the ability to get open.
    We need an ILB who can cover a TE. (PRIORITY)
    We need a guard who can run block.
    We need another RB who can take over when Mathews gets hurt.

6. SD Superchargerz

Ratings:
    +2
    I like someone Like Jeff Demps to replace sproles. He is a little small 5-8 190 but thats around Jahvid Best's weight. He is faster than best and maybe even chris johnson. He has been clocked at 4.18 before and the low 40 time he has been clocked at ever is 4.36 or something. This guy would be a great addition to go with matthews. We should draft him before the raiders do!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82451&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Comment below based on pure emotion...

Agree Go LA Chargers!

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't want another bleeping running back. I want some help on the OL, I want a pass rushing OLB or maybe two, I want a TE to take over for Gates eventually and I want a proper SS.

Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron, a TE from Stanford or the one from Louisiana Lafayette and Cordy Glenn please

• Like Like x 1
  9. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    This.

We got exposed tonight on multiple fronts. Granted nobody plans to lose two offensive linement for the game, but this underscores an alarming lack of depth here. It's also somewhat telling that Clary was not moved to LT.

10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I guess I have enough faith in our offensive talent but we definitely need to start drafting in the trenches on both sides. Losing Castillo, Phillips, and Cesaire were huge blows to the defense in my opinion. And I can only parrot an above posters sentiments about the regime and ownership changes. SD or LA Chargers, **** it.

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No, I wish they'd sell the team and the new owners would keep them in SD.

12. SD Superchargerz

Ratings:
    +2
    I said this too. Upshaw would be great./

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The real silver lining is that Norv will be fired and AJ may go with him

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What good would a Sproles type RB do for us when Norv proved over the last 2 years that he is clueless how to use a guy like that

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And you know this because??

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I sure hope, especially since AJ's boy Acee has already said that if they miss the playoffs, that Norv is gone. I don't see this team getting into the playoffs.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Watch Acee's latest advance, holy crap he's dejected

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think history is not working in the favor of the "Thank goodness Norv is gone"

mike Riley was held on to about 2 years longer than I thought he should be. The Chargers do not pull the trigger 'quickly' on Coaches historically. Maybe they will, but IMHO history says they will not.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Since Norv should have been gone 2 years ago, I hope the 2 year trend holds true

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I just dont think it will. They will say the injuries derailed the team, but that they kept fighting. It is what they do all the time. We will see though.

Right now, if it happenes is the same 'emotionally' for me if it doesnt.

I think key changes in personnel will do more than change in HC.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Injuries haev been the excuse for like 5 years. At some point (like 3 years ago) that can no longer be used as an excuse. If injuries are an issue, as they are, there is a systematic problem in our scouting dept and/or training staff that MUST be fixed.

We can just have injuries every single year, and continue using it as an excuse.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is a very subjective statement.

To a fan, injuries are an excuse. To an NFL team they are a reality, unless you actually think Schilling is as good of an OL player and McNeil is.

I agree that the team MUST look into the nagging injuries. But the game injuries like broken bones and concussions are out of the area of control by the staff.

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    There is no silver lining for me presently. Fire Norv and seriously consider AJ's position, that'd be a start. Oh and fire the trainers, we are a team of softies, not physically prepared for the fight that is the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As I have said before, good teams over come injuries, bad teams use them as an excuse. The Chargers have used them as an excuse for the last 5 years

25. SD Superchargerz

Ratings:
    +2
    we won't have norv? Otherwise useless. IDK maybe once every two years if blocking is perfect and there is a lane for him to go untouched up the middle no one would catch him. We either need an offensive genius like sean payton or a defensive stalwart like rob ryan. With our luck aj will stay and we'll get some crap coach like wade phillips.

• Like Like x 2
  26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I will say this; 2009 our DL & OL got decimated by injuries but they didn't make excuses and made things work regardless of who was in. I think we ran through four different NTs (which led to grabbing Antonio Garay) and had numerous people fill in at center. Didn't matter, we went 13-3. Last two years I feel its been more of an excuse

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Last two years (09-10) we have gotten carpet bombed but only at certain positions. 09 it was DL/OL, 10 it was LS, LB & WR. Now the injuries are more spread throughout, and we still can't handle it

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not saying it is an excuse every year, but when you use it EVERY YEAR, it turns into an excuse

29. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    The Thing is, a coach who puts his put down a little more often might have helped us to avoid some of the losses we have suffered this year, which in my opinion are partially down to a lack of mental focus and discipline.

Biggest need for the team regardless next summer IMO is pass rushing, we need someone who is a legit starter to go alongside Phillips. Then we need a Safety.