1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Facts...The last 6 qtrs.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Offensively in the last 6 quarters we have had 19 drives. 5 of those drives have lasted 6 or more plays...This IMO is a huge problem...We ave not been able to establish crap in the last 6 quarters. 26%....Thats the percentage of drives we keep the D off the field for 6 or more plays. Our D has been on the field a ton lately...

In comparison, NE in the last 6 quarters have kept their D off the field for six or more plays 50% of the time...Using the same numbers, Indy is at a whopping 66%...

Let us remember that 4 of the above quarters for NE and Indy were against the best in the NFL (Each Other)...

IMO this is one of big reasons for our lack of success...Not a enough "Good" drives... A good drive establishes something, takes time of the clock and doesn't need to result in points.

TBF

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    nice thread, it's a whole lot easier to show defensive explosiveness if it's coming in smaller less energy spending packages, even though we still have pass rush problems.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We are not establishing jack squat...As said, we lack consistency and identity...

Everyone knows Rivers gets flustered easily, so they blitz the piss out of him...We ask people to stop our strong point (The Run Game)...Well, they have done that and we have not changed our plans effectivley IMO...

This is our biggest offensive problem... We are not a power running team. Teams have combated that part of our game. Continuely, I hear people in here and on the radio calling for shorter passes to combat the blitz as well as plays that gets LT the ball in space. I don't know about you guys, but I have not seen that taking place with any regularity. The Chargers are Student Body between the tackles.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This all points to coaching TBF. Good analysis btw. I really think the whole team concept is just not working right now (duh!) IMO, this whole coaching staff needs to be gutted. Bring in a Bill Cowher and let him pick his staff. We need a proven leader and general here that has actually WON a Super Bowl. With the talent this team has, there should be no excuses. I think this all starts at the very top with Deano. Dean was such a wuss after we lost to NE last year that he should have fired Marty RIGHT AFTER the game ended. That would have enabled AJ to promote WADE to be our HC and look what he's done with Dallas? Cam we could replace easily. Bring in a Bill Cowher or somebody proven and let him pick his staff. Let AJ conduct the draft. Dean has to get some cahones and run this team the right way like elite organizations should run it. If he can't do it, let freaking Alex or his grandson do it!!!! I'll get off my soapbox now fellas.....

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    No wonder our defense is so damn tired.

Sometimes stats are complete bullshit, but these are spot on.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    To be fair TBF the last half of the Houston game should not be considered.

And flipping our coaching staff every season is not the answer either. Besides isn't Captian Spitball an east coast guy?

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I've already seen the grandson r*pe our once proud threads, there's no way I want him making any decisions about anything more advanced.

8. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Why not? I know we had a big lead, but you can't tell me that they wanted to get ruled via time of possession that half...That is exactly what happend 11:55 was our time of possession during those quarters. I don't care that they didn't score enough to beat us for the sake of this argument. My point is that they established drives and controlled the clock therfore putting undue wear and tear on our D. IMO the more wrinkles we can add via the O gives our upcomoing opposition more to prepare for. The less we can show them on D the better. For those two quarters in question, we had the ball on offense 36% to their 64% of the time. You and I both know that was not the intention....That is too much damn time on the field for numerous reasons. We got hit hard via the run vs Houston in those quarters as well...We exposed ourself big time.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great observations, TBF. Main problem IMO is lack of success and creativity on first downs. We are constantly facing 2nd and 11, 3rd and 9, every series.

Norval sucks as an OC. I'd rather have Shelmon calling the plays.

10. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    We have no idea how little Shelmon has helped or hurt. How much has Shelmon been envolved in our game planning? That could be a huge problem there as it is. Shelmon was Marty's pick for OC not Norv's and we have no idea how that relationship has worked. If Norv stays next season I bet Shelmon goes. Shelmon could be the next coming, I'm just pointing out that his influence is a total unknown due to his new role.

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I have no idea how much Shelmon is involved right now, that isn't my point.

My expectation would be that Shelmon would call plays that more closely resemble what worked so well last season, and he would probably be receptive to input from our offensive players.

I don't know what Norval is running, but it doesn't resemble Cam's offense at all. So much for "continuity". :tdown:

12. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    The talk about Norv before the season was that he had such a bad record because he had never coached a team with as much talent as this one...

Well, we now see what he can do with a team this talented...:tdown:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Continuity is a good idea, especially if your roster is shaped toward a certain system, but the problems our offense is pointing out is that whatever system is used, it has to be coached and the plays have to have an element of surprise from week to week. Charger opponents could use offensive film of any game of the season to prep for us. They could put them on a DVD in random mode and have to look at uniforms to tell who the plays were being run against. They don't even need to look at film of the defense, just replicate the offensive plays used the previous week by the last team we played.