1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Since Rivera is gone.. Who should be the New D.C.?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by L.T Bolt, Jan 10, 2011.

1. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I wont miss him that much ... just hope we find someone thats good...Any suggestions? :helm1:

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the Giant dude - Fewell. didn't he build a good defense in NY?

or somebody from the Ravens - they always seem to have a good defense

or Steve Spagnuolo - he was good for the Gnats too

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Have to assume that Pagano is at the top of the list since we (when they're not hired away from us... or given away) have a tendency to promote from within - mostly it seems to avoid bucking the status quo as much as possible.

Ryan is possibility available. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure I see AJ leaning that direction, but it's possible (and it's honestly the best fit for the personnel we have). Keith Butler is every 3-4 team in need of a DC's pipe dream; and the fact that he hasn't left Pittsburgh yet is probably a pretty good indication. No clue if the guy has any experience calling a 3-4 (though let's be honest with the amount of FA turnover we have this year, if there was an offseason to make the switch it's this one), but Ron Meeks is a quality DC with no present team. And if the Niners bring in Vic Fangio (Stanford's DC) as their new DC (as is expected) then that frees of Greg Manusky (a former LB coach of ours)... but I think I'd almost rather promote Pagano and hire Manusky back to his old job because Manusky isn't nearly aggressive enough and leans more towards being a more organized Teddy than a Wade or Rivera.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Pagano may get his shot.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Remember, we cant hire a coach from another team unless we are giving them a promotion.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    My guess is pagano who has been waiting his chance for a while and has been a good assistant coach. They will bring in outsiders though too and I am sure Greg manusky will be interviewed too.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Why is that?

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I think your probably right Ant

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Because those coaches are under contract to do that job for another team and have to honor that contract. For lateral hires, they can seek permission to interview else for a position from their organization, but if they're under contract the organization is under no obligation to allow them to do so unless said coach is in a position to receive promotion (e.g. positional coach to coordinator, coordinator to HC). Very rarely do you see lateral hires occur (the most recent was the McDonko's letting Mike Nolan leave for Miami); and in Manusky's case if Vic Fangio is hired as the SF DC then Manusky is out of a job (at least temporarily, because his contract with the Niners is as the defensive coordinator and they'd have to release him prior to hiring Fangio).

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Interesting. Thanks.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Assistant Head Coach - Defense?

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rob Ryan

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Whoever it is let's move FAST, Norv is so freakin laid back we need someone to grab this by the balls, be it Pagano or someone else. What are we doing about special teams coach?, it's a week now. U snooze u lose. Move move move FFS.

14. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Rob Ryan is the best available D coach comes from proven great D top.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Is Rob Ryan available?

Wouldn't mind that at all.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Rivera can take John Pagano with him to Carolina as his DC.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That does not really fly. That is just another way of saying 'coordinator'. I believe the last time a team did that they had to compensate the previous team.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    From CBSSportsNFLSD on Twitter

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Marty1090
    Darren throws out a great name- how about Dave Wannstedt? He was the DC along w/Norv for Cowboys. Also hired Norv as OC in Miami. Hmm

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Singletary has a screw loose. I found his coaching style humorous. I wonder if he could end up with Rivera as his DC? Da Bears?

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He can't just take him outright. I believe he can interview Pagano for the position without permission, but because the Chargers presently have him under contract they can retain him outright by matching the positional offer and promoting Pagano themselves (at which point making what Rivera would be seeking a "lateral hire").

Also, FWIW, a team can designate more than one Assistant HC. I don't believe it can exceed 2, but I know at least 2-3 teams that have multiple coaches on their staff designated as Asst. HC, in addition to their standard positional/coordinator duties.

As to finding a new S/T coach... if we wanted a crack at anyone on the staffs of any of the current playoff teams we would have had to wait for them to get eliminated from the playoffs anyway - unless they were on a bye-week and even then they could decide to hold off on taking the interview by choice. The only S/T coach that I know of that hit the market (I don't know whose contracts ran out) so far is Jeff Rodgers (formerly of Carolina; who completely cleaned house of their 2010 staff), otherwise we really won't see much others, unless we want to make a promotional hire or dig someone out of the coaching FA pool, come available until after the rest of these team hire their new HC's and those HC's determine who from the previous staff's they're going to keep around.

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I have been reading conflicting information. One says that we can block them from leaving because of the contracts and the other says that Rivera can take coaches with him. I am not sure about the matching positional offer.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Remus Ryan for DC works or anyone with ties to the Stiller's defensively.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Id take Mike Nolan if hes able to be brougt in as D coord.

Or jus promote from within.

26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Ron can't take any coach with him UNLESS he is given permission, doubtful, or he promotes them. For example one of our assistants to DC or OC.

Mike Nolan might be a good choice. He and Norv worked together, he is a very good DC and they can make him assistant to the assistant HC.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Doubt Nolan's going anywhere though considering that there isn't going to be much if any turnover of the Miami staff and their defense was the lone bright spot of that team this year.

Rob Ryan is going to be an interesting take. I've heard from a number of Cleveland fans I talk to that there are rumblings that Holmgren might prefer a move to both the West Coast Offense and a return to the 4-3 scheme on defense (since Shaun Rodgers and a number of heir other more "3-4" players are likely leaving in FA this year). Ryan "can" coach the 4-3, but he's shown to be far more effective running a 3-4 than the anemic 4-3 he ran in Oakland (though in fairness to him, Al kept giving him pass-rushers and no run defenders whatsoever).

Another name I'll throw out there because if you watch the games his schemes and playcalls were good; it's just the talent he had available to him sucked donkey dong - Don Martindale the Donkeys' DC. Depending on who the new HC is, it's possible he wants his guy as the DC. Not saying it's likely, but it's possible.

If we want someone that's going to be the least amount of transition from the type of 3-4 we've traditionally run here since Wade was here, we should probably be looking at someone off of Dom Capers' staff. I highly doubt he's ready to be a play-caller, but I can't help but think that Kevin Greene is going to be a really good DC someday.

28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He's also not going to be available.

29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Did you consider sending in your resume?

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I think Norv should try to hire his brother.