1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Singletary shows displeasure after pulling O'Sullivan, kicking Davis off bench

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Oct 27, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3665809

SAN FRANCISCO -- Mike Singletary put his stamp on his coaching debut for the San Francisco 49ers, benching turnover-prone quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan in the second quarter and then sending volatile tight end Vernon Davis to the locker room with more than 10 minutes remaining Sunday.

"I told him that he would do a better job for us right now taking a shower and coming back and watching the game than going out on the field," Singletary said after the 34-13 loss to Seattle. "Simple as that."

The confrontation with Davis started after Davis was called for an unnecessary roughness penalty for slapping a Seahawks defender's head after a tackle on a 7-yard reception in the third quarter.

Davis tried to avoid his coach as he ran to the sideline but Singletary got in his face and gave him an earful before sending him to the bench. Singletary said he was upset by what he considered a nonchalant attitude by Davis, who did not seem to understand why his coach was so upset.

Singletary later walked over to talk to Davis on the bench, yelling some more at the former No. 6 overall pick in full view of his teammates. Then with 10:41 remaining in the game, Singletary went back to Davis and told him to go to the locker room. Davis started walking before being called back to get his helmet. He then waved his helmet at the crowd as he left.

"I'd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team," Singletary said. "It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

Davis disputed the call, saying he just tapped Brian Russell's facemask and did not deserve a penalty. He said Singletary just told him to be smart on the field and had no problem with the banishment.

"Coach Singletary told me to go sit down, and after a while, he told me to just take a shower and take it in," Davis said. "He's a good coach. Coach Singletary is an emotional guy, just like myself. He wants to win, and I did exactly what he told me to do. He is the head coach and I listen to him. He just told me to come in and I went in."

Former coach Mike Nolan pulled Davis out of a game earlier this year but did not send Davis to the locker room. Last month at New Orleans, Davis made a 19-yard catch with 6:20 remaining for his only reception in a 31-17 loss and pounded his chest and yelled loudly.

Davis came to San Francisco with much hype after being drafted sixth overall in 2006. But he has failed to live up to expectations, making just 72 catches his first two seasons. He had four catches for 29 yards Sunday, giving him 16 receptions for 196 yards in eight games this season.

Davis wanted to talk to his coach, but Singletary advised against it.

"I told him he did not want to talk to me," Singletary said. "I assured him, 'You do not want to talk to me right now.'"

In the second quarter, Singletary benched O'Sullivan after he threw an interception that was returned by Josh Wilson 75 yards for a touchdown. That was O'Sullivan's second turnover of the game and 17th of the season.

Shaun Hill, who won his only two career starts last season, played the rest of the way, going 15-for-23 for 173 yards, a touchdown and no turnovers.

Singletary said he would wait before deciding whether O'Sullivan and Davis would get their starting jobs back after the bye week.

WHO NEEDS A COACH LIKE THAT!!

THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO COACH THEMSELVES!!!

THEY'RE PROS!!

IT'S NOT THE COACHES FAULT IF THEY ARE UNPREPARED!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

PS. THE NINERS HAVE LOST ONLY ONE MORE GAME THAN THE BOLTS

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Anger and grand gestures are only good if they get home the point

3. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True,

but if something isn't working ya gotta fix it!!!

Or, at least TRY!

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Lets just hope the Players Union doesnt say something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    They lost the game, and they're gonna lose more before they get better, but it sent a message to the rest of the team that that behavior ain't gonna be tolerated.

I don't have a problem with disciplining prima donna players; wouldn't mind seeing somma that sorta thing done to some Charger players if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That is great what Singletary is doing. The Charger players are behaving just like Vernon Davis, but unfortunately we have a head coach who doesn’t have the sack or the personality to deal with such issues.

We either have to get a new head coach, or bench all of the players who can’t motivate or discipline themselves.

We have to do one or the other. Getting rid of the DC won’t matter. The head coach goes, or players have to go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man Walt, you've really stepped off the deep end.

Mebbe jumped/leaped would be a better term/terms.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

JUST PISSED OFF

:lol:

No jumping, it's just a game

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    how could it not matter? we have the 32nd ranked passing D in the league and Norv's offense has scored more points then anyone in the league, i would say the person not doing his job is the DC

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cottrell goes, Rivera to HC/DC, Norv to OC. Do it over the bye week.

WTF have we got to lose?? :icon_shrug:

12. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Isn't the head coach in charge of the defense coach?????? Its Norvs ultimate responsibility to win on both sides of the ball. Thats why they are called the Head Coach.:yes:

13. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Totally agree:tup::tup:

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Hey at least JT isn't our qb :icon_eek:

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Just my opinion, but even with a new DC we would still be a soft team, one that gets punched in the mouth and doesn't punch back.

New schemes won't stop players from behaving like prima donnas, putting themselves before the team, not showing any intensity, and being comfortable with losing. And maybe more importantly being comfortable with WINNING, not staying hungry and focused after achieving a little success.

I would rather miss the playoffs this year and run Norv's *** out of town, than to squeak in because our division sucks, and keep Turner as our head coach.

Because we will NEVER reach the perennial Super Bowl contender status that every Charger fan wants, not with Norv at the helm.

16. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Excellent! What fan hasn't wanted to do the same to prima donnas and fat headed egos on their own team? It's not ok to shrug or laugh off bad play.

I applaud Singletary. If he gets away with it and then the team changes for the better, it should send a message throughout the NFL.
    :tup::yes:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ahhh, what could have been.

:pissed:

• Like Like x 1
  18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Excellent!

You get the pitchforks, I'll get the torches, everyone else we meet in front of Charger Park!

• Like Like x 1
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Don't forget the tar and feathers :rolleyes2:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Damn, you are one humorless person.

Lighten up ****er

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    More Norv hate, Bro.

22. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Well deserved.

He is a ****** HC and always has been.

Why does this surprise ANYONE?

We were warned.

23. ElectrifiedTroy

ElectrifiedTroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I like Samurai Mike! hehe But, if he's already getting this angry after one game. Will he burn out quickly? Will the players tune him out fast?
    But, I guess they needed something totally opposite of Nolan. Since, Nolan rarely ever showed much emotion. At least from what I've seen of his past press conferences.

24. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Good for Mike Singletary! I'd be scared to play like crap with him as my coach! If you're the ring leader, you gotta take charge and kick some butt to get everyone's attention.

Didn't Bobby Ross do that one time? Apologizing to the fans for the way the Bolts played and look how the players responded?

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    IMHO, the most important thing Singletary said at the presser was "We need to hit the other team in the mouth", and the second most important was "we can't be charitable".

Yeah, he lit up Davis, who apparently deserved it, and effectively put his mark on the 9ers. But he wants the team to be agressive and physical, clearly.

Anahoo, that's how I see it.

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

You see clearly my Bolthead friend,

We NEED to get that same attitude.

We had it last year and the year before

:tup::tup::tup:

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/37299

If this is true then....... I don't think ol Mike is gonna be the success as a HC alot of people think he will be.

Imho he should not have said what he said in public. Upset or not that stuff remains in the locker room where his undies were.
    :icon_rofl:

28. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Audio link to the beginning of Singletary's motivational locker room speach.

An investigation is underway in San Fransisco, and no man, woman, or child is safe from its reaches. No sir; not for as long as Mike Singletary is around. The Niners' new coach is determined to find out who told the press about his rather hilarious motivational tactics, which have brought shame and ridicule to himself and his family.

Sayeth the Niner boss, who is on the hunt:

"It's unfortunate," he said. "We will find out who is leaking information out of the locker room because what happens in the locker room should be sacred and stay there."

The fact that his pants-dropping was revealed might indicate that an assistant coach or player isn't entirely behind Singletary. Or it might have been mentioned to someone on the outside in a lighthearted way, possibly to indicate how eager the coach was to get his point across. Maybe the source didn't realize how embarrassing it would be to Singletary and the franchise.

Singletary, of course, was one of the hardest-hitting players to ever step on a football field, and could clearly still lay someone out. This will not end well for the poor soul inside that Niner locker room who let this out (feel free to take bets in the comments as to who the snitch is.)

And so, a good night to one and all. Here's to hoping that none of you end up being the person that Coach Singletary inevitably kills while they sleep.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Oh, I don't think that Mike will kill them in their sleep. He'll do it with his bare hands while they are wide awake. :yes: