1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sirius NFL Radio visits Chargers camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Sirius NFL Radio at Chargers camp. I missed the first half hour, and that included an LT interview. ftwbolt heard it, and said LT said the same stuff we know, and that he won't play at all this preseason.

Rivers being interviewed now ....

complementing Norv. "We think a lot alike, the QB and playcaller need to think alike."

What did you need to work on from watching last season's tapes?

A handful of things, not stuff you want to fix, but improve on. I tend to overthink, and anticipate instead of just react. I want to be more consistent. My decision making has gotten better, and taking care of the football. Teams that win take care of the football, and have few turnovers. That correlates to wins.

How does Parker injury affect WR's?

Eric is a big loss for us, hopefully he'll be back before midseason. Craig Davis has made a lot of progress for us, and he will make an impact for us Week one. He breaks the huddle with confidence. VJ, Floyd, I could go on and on, our core receivers, we're looking for big plays from them.

People, defenses, don't like you to throw in the end zone. They play five across on the line, so we get less passes to the end zone, and LT gets the runs to score.

The more places you can put him (Tomlinson), the more places you can create problems for the defense. He might not get the ball, but they have to account for him. It's the same with Antonio Gates. This helps our WR's win their battles one on one on the outside.

OL - This is the funnest group I've been around, even going back to high school. The best group. They have a unique relationship among them. They don't like me even getting touched or hit and they take pride in it.

Dummy calls - The OL and offense is expanding. Nick Hardwick is learning how to confuse defenses with dummy calls.

Marcus McNeill is the funniest guy of the bunch. He'll say and do anything.

NE loss - We have a long season ahead, and if we get to the playoffs, we'll go back to the experience of the Jets loss and NE loss, and use that to learn how to get past the first round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ftwbolt also told me that Adam Schein had talked to Merriman off the air. Merriman told Schein that "I'm no longer going to be known as 'Lights Out' and I'm not going to do the dance this season."

Merriman will be interviewed later today.

Adam Schein and former journeyman QB are the two Sirius hosts visiting Chargers Park.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Schein and Miller talking about the "business like" approach of the Chargers players, and Miller says it's obvious that this team has worked hard to get better this offseason. You can see the maturity in the young players, even the young stars like Merriman.

Blabbermouth Schein thinks the Donkeys will challenge San Diego for the division. Miller thinks the same.

Both agree that "maturity" is the key word to describe the 2007 Chargers.

Some ball watcher caller just asked why SD didn't sign a FA WR like Dante Stallworth or Eric Moulds. Schein says, "everyone we talk to in SD says 'we like our guys' ..." Miller talks about Floyd, VJ and Davis, and that Gates will continue to be the #1 option in the passing game. "One of those young emerging WR's needs to step up."

Talking about defense, both agree that Baltimore is the "most complete defense" but right after the Ravens, the Chargers have to be considered as the NFL's next best defense.

Two callers have bashed the hosts and media for over valuing the Donkeys talent. Miller thinks Denver can match up physically with San Diego, and both Schein and Miller think Travis Henry will make a huge difference for Denver. Miller thinks the fat boys Sam Adams and Jimmy Kennedy will be the big difference in stopping SD's running game and raising the physical nature of the Donkeys <... I don't buy that at all. Two fat underachievers that will suck wind at Mile High and be dragging *** before the 3rd quarter ends ...>

Both complementing SD's "trenches" saying both Chargers lines are solid. Bottom line is they are physical.

Merriman, M. Turner, S. Phillips and Norv will be interviewed later in the show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Schein saying the "two underrated stars" of the Chargers are Nick Hardwick and Lorenzo Neal.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hardwick being interveiwed ...... talking about OL continuity.

Talking about McNeill .... he "developed into one of the better ones" ...

...saying "we could have been a lot better, you can always reefine small technique issues."

Hardwick is short and to the point when being interviewed.

Rivers is a natural laeder. That slow Alabama drawl is in command in the huddle.

With Norv, we get more efficiency, and a better set up of the defense. The scheme of this offense is cleaned up.

~~~~~~~~

Cromartie being interviewed. Quiet, reserved manner of speech.

Really excited about this year , best I've ever felt. Stonger, more comfortable and confident in my knee.

We need to get more plays on the ball. More fumbles and interceptions.

Difference in Wade and Ted is more go getter attitude and we'll be more aggressive.

Weddle and Cromartie are training camp room mates. Really likes him as a person and player.

Cromartie has focused more on being physical. Improved footwork and hand placement.

Knee took away my ability last year. I could not do things like I wanted because of the knee. I want to make an impact this year, on defense and special teams. I worked on punt return the other day. I will get a chance to return some in the preseason.

Our young receivers are going to be great. Craig Davis is learning fast.

I've learned a lot from McCree.

My goal is to be the starter.

Tory Holt was toughest receiver I faced. He's a veteran and knows how to take advantage of a young player.

3. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Michael Turner being interviewed.

I'll wait until next year to see about other opportunities, but right now, I'm very glad to be a San Diego Charger.

Do you have anumber of carries you think you'll get?

Just depends on the game. I will get more carries than before. This could be my last yeaar here and I think they'll use me more.

Every back wants to be a #1, and I'm no different.

Lo Neal is a veteran leader and wants to win real bad. <giggled while trying to find something to say>

I learn a lot from LT, especially the way he approaches the game. He is very knowledgeable about the game and the RB position.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen Cooper being interviewed.

I'm real excited about starting. I waited a few years behind Godfrey and Edwards and I'm ready.

I played more plays than Godfrey the last two years.

We handed the game to the Patriots. Too many mistakes.

Training camp is similar from Marty to Norv. Not too much different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shawne Merriman being interviewed.

Difference with Cottrell?

Terminology is just a little different, with the secondary especially learning new terminology.

ILB's?

We don't look at Matt and Steve as new guys. They've been here.

We aren't looking at the playoffs. We're looking at the Chicago Bears.

I won't throw out any number predictions for this year, I'm just going to go out and work hard every play.

Growth in Rivers? He's professional and competitive.

We have one of the most talented defensive teams, but we want to be the hardest working team.

4. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Norv Turner being interviewed

We need to improve on what they did last year. <goes through list of stuff, line, RB's WR's, TE's ...>

What's the common thread of great QB's ? (Jim Miller question)

I think you have to have ability. You have to be a great decision maker, but more than that, the great ones go beyond the coaching. They have to have the courage and guts. You have to go beyond what you've been prepared for. The great ones are willing to do that and make it work.

Overthinking at QB position, how do you limit that?

Philip hasn't verbalized that to me, but I see it some times. He has great vision, and sometimes actually sees too much. That's a nice problem to have. We're a young group of WR's and he's learning trust with them.

Will LT play in preseason? Will he catch more balls this year? How do you get the greatest player in the NFL better and more involved?

He had the greatest year a player can have last year. I don't know how to do better, but he's working to do just that. He's a leader in the way he practices and prepares. You look at tape, and then you see him on the field and he's better than you saw on film or believed him to be.

WR's ... who emerges?

About the time Philip emerged is when Vincent Jackson emerged. He missed some time, but if he stays healthy he's the guy to step up into that role. Craig Davis missed some time from a big hit into the back with back spasms, and he gives us a deep threat. Floyd has taken a step from being a situational red zone guy into more of a complete player. We will miss Parker, but sometimes when that happens, the younger players step up and fill the role.

Merriman, seems more reserved ... what makes him so good?

He's very focused. I wasn't here, but had to see him on Sunday last year (in SF). Offenses have to be careful with him, he can't be blocked by a RB or TE, you have to use a tackle on him and still you need help. His play helps others improve their game. We can create different looks using the attention Merriman gets, and that will help other players, especially Shaun Phillips.

Pressure to win?

We put together a great staff, and the guys who were here really helped in the transition. Being able to get Cottrell and Rivera helped create a comfort zone. Every week we'll have a challenge, and through a 16 game season we're going to be able to do what we want to do, and we will get to the playoffs.

The biggest thing I've learned about this league is basic. The most complete team ends up winning. There was a time when the best defense or offense can win a Super Bowl, but I don't believe that's true any more. Indy was the most complete team in the playoffs, improving their defense as they went. NE was the best complete team a few years ago. We feel we can be the most complete team.

Talk about Paul Oliver .....

Oliver is going to be a good player, he's playing catch up right now and will get a lot of work in the preseason. Cromartie has had a great offseason and has played with a lot of confidence. Weddle made some big plays yesterday in the practice, one on one with Gates, he's very instinctive and this league isn't too big for him.

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Repeat of LaDainian Tomlinson interview ....

The body feels great. We have a great challenge and we're real competitive, beating up on ourselves. I won't be playing in the preseason.

How do you get better?

I think we will just continue to evolve in the offense. Maybe use me running route in the passing game, some "gun" stuff that will be different in both pass and run involving me.

What is a successful season?

Successful will be defined by getting further than last year. Nothing less than the AFC Championship Game. Now it's time to take the next step. Win in post season, and that's how you can become an elite team in this league.

NE loss?

It's very motivating. Not just the loss, but knowing how close we were. That pushed us, the whole team, in the offseason. We talked about getting better, and we don't want to feel like that again.

How grueling offseason workout?

Very grueling workout. I push my body to the maximum it can be pushed. I am prepared for a long journey through the season. Boxing, running, functional strength training, and it allows me to be as strong and healthy as I am.

About M. Turner and how many carries he will have ....

I don't try to play coach, I just do my job, so I dn't know about his numbers, but I know it's great to be in my position, because I know the offense will be in great shape because of him. I can get a breath and not worry.

About Rivers ...

He's already grasped how Norv wants to run and how he wants the offense to run. Norv is a great playcaller.

WR's .....

We'll miss Eric. But, we'll be able to do things to keep people honest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaun Phillips being interviewed ....

Comment on tempo of practices ..

Norv does a good job of game situations, and correcting mistakes on the run, get in and get out.

Your development .....

I want to stay consistent and healthy. Don't miss games and gives max effort and 100% all the time. I want to be a productive player.

How much better can this defense be if they stay healthy?

The sky's the limit for us, we can be as good as we choose to make it. We can be great, the best in the league, but we have to make it happen.

Cooper ... Wilhelm

I'm looking forward to great things out of them this year.

Secondary.

I don't think the talent level is a question, but we want to be the hardest working team.

Turnovers are our number one defensive focus right now. We try to strip the ball every practice. We are focused on turnovers.

About Merriman being more reserved ....

I never question his work ethic or loyalty to the team. I didn't hear he won't do his dance, but if that's what he said, then that's what will happen. He is an awesome team player.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    A few more "nuggets" ....

Schein said Norv's eyes really lit up when he started talking about Eric Weddle.

The hosts didn't notice it, but I sure noticed that both Merriman and S. Phillips used the phrase "we want to be the hardest working team." That's the kind of philosophy which I want to hear.

The hosts said the Chargers did some direct snap practice to Tomlinson in the morning work out.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yep...heard you pimpin Cletis Gordon :lol:

8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

All in all, it was a very good show.

I called in and spent damn near two hours on hold, waiting through all those great interviews. I wanted to ask a question about the very young reserve LB's (Waters, Siler, Dobbins, Harris, Applewhite) and see if the hosts could ask one of the interviewed LB's how the young kids look. Most of those interviews were over, so I changed up the question to focus on the punt return game. (as requested by ftwbolt) ...

A previous caller had asked about Oliver, so I gave some props to Cletis Gordon and how some fans have posted about him doing well in camp (and so has Acee of the UT), and he is another to watch in the return game.

They spun that comment into talking about Cromartie in the return game, then the next caller brought up Craig Davis in the KR/PR game. I don't think the hosts ever mentioned Sproles while talking special teams.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    really nice work w/ the tread shammy
    i heard shamrock get throw and was wounding if i was the real shammy or some wannbe glad it was real deal :tup:
    nice jod w/ your question way to reprasent:tup:

bolt cash an rep 4 u
    ( when b-cash works agian :lol: )

10. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i really hope trumpie wasnt listening or think he would have blown a blood veassle :lol: w/ how much they were pipmen weddle throught out the hole show and not one word about his boy C Hart :unsure: :icon_shrug:

those dame haters no love 4 C Hart WFT
    (this should get me some rep from trumpie :yes: )

11. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    They did talk about Sproles for awhile right at the beginning of the show. Talked about how he was hurt early in preseason last year and that having him healthy now would have a big impact on special teams.

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Garrr I don't even have my sirius hooked up right now cuz thr reeception is so crappy. I gotta get that sucker hardwired:icon_evil:

thanks for all the hardwork transcribing!

13. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Thanks for the recap, Shamrock! Good stuff.

14. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108

Yep, you have to think that is the theme Norv is pimpin' all through camp.

I keep getting very excited about Weddle. It seems like every charger report I read lately mentions him and has him standing out in practice. Same with Davis. If these guys turn out to be decent contributors or even better (this year), I may have to change my kid's name to AJ out of pure respect and honor. I know a lot of folks on the board think we gave up a lot for Weddle, but when the player you want is there for the taking, you do it....especially when you don't have a lot of room on the roster to begin with. :tup:

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No. They don't archive it for download. I'd love it if I could throw it into my iPod.

Lash - you do have the free online account, right? It comes with your subscription.
    SIRIUS - LISTEN ONLINE

I listen at home via the online (just plug the laptop into the home stereo system). I have the boombox for the outdoor trips. And the car system for the roadies.

To those who don't have it yet, Sirius is the only way to go. Howard is the king of all media. :rockout:

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Thanks Nickle I appreciate it, but it's my 1:40 drive home I want it for. I'll ddefinately be firing it up at home now that the season is on.:icon_toast:

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Invest in the Stileto. :tup:

I got mine for Fathers Day. Record what you want from Sirius and play it back.:yes:

:icon_tease:

18. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Redneck...

• Like Like x 2
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Excellent review Shammy, thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.:bolt: :icon_toast: :tup:

20. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Ted Cottrell is the biggest upgrade this offseason like I said when we got him. He is the guy who is going to take our defense to tops in the league while Wade really had us at just about average with respect to two of the most important stats which are yards allowed and 3rd down conversions. Wade can kiss my ***. I hope you will enjoy Ted Cottrell blitzing 5-6 with less than two minutes to go. If your playcalling is conservative your players become conservative... finally we will have a killer instinct scheme suitable for our killer instinct players.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ahhh not to be difficult or anything, but didnt you say that MT was a upgrade over LT last season?:icon_huh:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Why does Swargeen fit you?

23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Yes, on slick turf.

24. Concudan