1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SI's take on our HC/GM situation

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I had yet to hear mention of Carmichael as a possible candidate. Any thoughts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...day-nfl-coaches-2012/?sct=hp_t12_a3&eref=sihp

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :sick:Co-GM's:poop:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Carmichael is an interesting idea, never thought of him. It appears the top candidates are Arians, Reid & McDaniels but Spanos could have someone else that he's playing close to the vest (please not jim mora)

4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +317
    Don't believe I've seen Carmichael's name brought up either. Hope we don't get Reid, I tend to think of his teams hisstorically as pass happy with sub par defenses. I'd consider Arains a longshot and hope the new FO passes with vengeance on Hoodie Jr.
    Raye and Spanos seem like shoe ins at this point.

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I would not be surprised if the Colts give Arians a fat raise to stay. Sad to say but they need to keep him another year as insurance. You can not predict Chucks health at this point.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    League sources don't expect the Spanos family to pay the $6 to $7 million annual salary that Reid can command.

This says it all. You can replace this with any coaches name.

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Bill Polian for GM? Maybe he is too old?

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Please Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't Pete Carmichael the one who filled in for Joe Vitt who was filling in for Sean Peyton? And if so managed to make a team as good as the Saints go 0-4 to start the season

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    They don't all command 6 to 7 mil per, and Reid mainly commands that because of his long standing NFL experience.

So, you can replace that with any of the more established coaches names that fans have been clamoring for, like Gruden or Cowher.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    That was Aaron Kromer

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I deleted my post due to its being inaccurate

• Like Like x 1
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    That was Aaron Kromer (their OL coach) who is currently up for the HC gig at Boston College. Carmichael took over as the primary offensive play-caller (Payton's always had final say and ability to veto even if Carmichael was calling the plays from the booth normally) during this season though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    thats what happens when we get a freaking owner that does not want to win! He was booed when he was introduced as the owner, and he should be continued to be booed!

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Maybe Mr. Spanos is hiding an ace, like this guy to be the next GM:

bring out the gimp.jpg

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,483
    In this case, he should be applauded for not hiring a tired has been like Andy Reid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    This is a bit disappointing news to me already. But, expected. So, Dean is not willing to pay Andy Reid $6-7 m's? So I guess you can take us out of the running for Chip Kelly. Seeing how Jim Harbaugh was given $5 m a year out of Stanford, nevermind getting Chip away from Nike and Oregon, BUT, I heard Oregon might be getting hit with sanctions, so maybe it won't take as much to lure Chip away from Oregon?

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Thanks for clearing that up, I honestly wasn't sure who it was I thought it may have been Carmichael

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and how much are you willing to bet that our next head coach will be making much less then 6 Million? We have a cheap owner, and with that we will get another Norv clone, because Spanos will not go down into the College ranks and pull up one of the better Coaches.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I wouldn't say he doesn't want to win.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest any owner of any football team does not want to see their team succeed.

I think the more accurate description here is that, while he may want to win, profit takes priority over winning to him.

Yeah, I'm probably nitpicking here, but whatever.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Dean is cautious, so there's more than money involved in any coaching hire. I wouldn't expect him to get a college guy, just because Dean likes people with a NFL track record. But who knows, he may surprise us this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Isn't Norv pulling down 5 mil a season? Are we really bitching about an owner who plunks down 5 mil a year on a HC instead of 5.5 or 6?

Also, has anyone given any thought to the following? Spanos the Younger becoming GM frees up money from the payroll that could ostensibly be given to the new HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    5-6 Million is what the College coaches are making! One would think a NFL coach should make more.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The money at a top NCAA position is no less, and possibly more, than what is available in terms of profit margins to an NFL team, as an NCAA team is 100% profits, with the coaching/training staff and scouts being the only overhead.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    You're on the right track. Winning is more profitable than not winning. However, Dean looks at this like a business so if he can reach the same amount of profit by having a team only good enough to make the playoffs (which in and of itself earns you more prime-time games and thus more revenue from advertising and team partnerships/sponsors) with lower expenditures (i.e. less paid to coaches, players, etc.) as he would by shelling out more in expenses and making more off the licensing, merch sales, endorsements, etc. that come from actually winning a championship... well, sadly that's his prerogative. And despite the fact that I obviously want this team to win a championship, from a purely business perspective it's difficult for me to fault him taking the "less expenditure" approach in the current economic climate (considering he's largely dependent on consumer spending to make his money).

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Nick Saban is the highest paid NCAA Football head coach.

He's currently making 5.4 mil per year.

Mack Brown is #2 at 5.3 mil

They're the only two that fall in that range. (Bob Stoops is 3rd at 4.5 per)

edit: I think Les Miles' current raise puts him in this range as well.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to paint him as the owner that wants to win at all costs that every sports fan dreams for. I was just trying to dispel the perfectionist black-and-white argument people tend to paint it as. (Saying he doesn't even want to win just because it's not his apparent top priority).

As much as I'd like to have that owner who doesn't care as much about profit as he does winning I can't fault an owner for preferring profit either. It's easy for us as fans to justify spending money at all costs to try and win when it's not our money we're telling them to spend.

Surely somebody will respond to this and say "yeah, it is because we gave it to them when we bought their merchandise, tickets, etc"....well, no it isn't. That's the entire nature of a monetary transaction. Once you handed over your money it's no longer yours. You're not required to keep handing them your money if you don't like the product, but the money you've already given them is not yours. It's theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and what do you think makes more money, a stadium sold out to season ticket holders or 13,000 seats that need to be sold to lift a black out? As long as Spanos is is charge, this team is not going anywhere! I was at the game where he was introduced as the new owner, and he was booed! Little did we know then that those boo's were deserving!

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I would rather have Jerry Jones, at least he wants a Lombardi!

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Really?..... because as long as Jerry is the GM, they'll never win anything. Wanting is one thing, having a viable plan is another.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Wanting a Lombardi doesn't always get you a Lombardi.

Sometimes Jerry's desire for it gets in the way more than it helps.

I just want a Lombardi. If the Saints can get one with Tom Benson I think we can get one with Dean Spanos.

Hell, the Cardinals and the freakin Bidwells were an amazing catch removed from hoisting one.