1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sister in San Diego

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dublin Bolt, May 21, 2007.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Hi guys...

To all of you lucky enough to be living in the city of my dreams, guess what my sister will be in San Diego next week!!. She will be staying in the pacific shores inn on mission blvd.

She is asking me for your help in locating nice restaurants/bars that might not necessarily be on the tourist trail that are not too far away from where they are staying. Mind you she will have a car. She is not fussy about what type of food.

If I can come up with some nice recommendations she says she will bring me back something nice. eg. a new jersey or something!!, so do your damndest guys!!.

Loads of thanks in advance, DB. :icon_toast:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Old Town is always a fun place to go but I'd recommend Rocking Baja Lobster as a good place to actually eat. Beyond that its fun to wander around that part of the city.

Coronado of course she has to drive along Orange Ave and around the Silver Strand. She wants dessert on Orange Ave there's the best ice cream place called Moo Town Creamery.

She can go downtown and there's few 'bad choices' to go to there. Almost everyplace there is pretty tasty.

Chinese food, go on convoy dr in clairemont to either Jasmine (expensive) or nearby is the dumpling inn (cheaper) for good chinese. Still she can pretty much go up and down convoy and find a good place.

She needs to go as well to La Jolla Cove and Shores, beautiful beach areas, as well as Mount Soledad.

If she has any questions PM me and I'll try my best to answer them

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I've had some good experiences here: http://www.cafesevilla.com/SanDiego/

If she's looking for something that's a little more of a hole-in-the-wall, there's a restaurant called Chiquitas (4110 Home Avenue.) The place looks a little bit seedy from the outside but it's clean, service is excellent, food is very good authentic Mexican. I take clients there for lunch when they want something good and not white table-cloth.

You have to remember that San Diego / San Diego County is over 4,000 square miles, so if we had an idea of her itinerary it would be easier to give her ideas not too far off the beaten path...

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Have her try some of the mexican resturants in old town. They were pretty good last time I was down there.

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    She's got to try a good authentic Mexican restaurant, one of the places where the first thing they bring you is chips with salsa.

The problem with recommending places to people in SD is that tourists and people who want to party and bar-hop hang out in the Gas-lamp, and that's probably the best urban experience in SD. But there's lots of good restaurants and hundreds of things to do around here; most of the tourist attractions around here center around animals (Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World) and the ocean.

Don't go to Mexico, though--at least not to TJ. That place is only fun if you're 18 and not old enough to buy beer in the states.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Post a pic first.

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I agree with the others regarding trying some real Mexican food and there are thousands of decent restaurants here - for any form of real recommendation, however, you will have to tell us more of her situation. There is a huge difference in what I would recommend between someone who is:

1. Traveling alone on business, with a tour group or with family (how large a group)?
    2. Using public transportation, rental car or family car?

I think you see what I mean.

She should have a great time regardless! This is a wonderful time of year to visit San Diego - the skys will generally be overcast and relatively cool in the mornings - but watch out for the sun after it burns off in the afternoon. (We refer to it as "May Gray and June Gloom" but it is my favorite time). :icon_toast:

8. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Small Taco shops are a must as well...hahah or In-N-Out.

9. nutzgrant

nutzgrant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yup. The taco shops and In-N-Out are about as authentic southern california food as you can get. Plus, it's just good food!

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If she likes seafood, this place is close to where she's staying and definitely worth checking out. It's 10 blocks south of her hotel, so it's within walking distance, but she might just want to flag down a cab.

World Famous
    711 Pacific Beach Dr
    San Diego, CA 92109

She is staying in north pacific beach, so she'll be close to La Jolla. There are lots of good places to eat in La Jolla, plus it's a cool place to walk around and see the sites. It would be a very short cab ride. As far as specific places to eat, I'd recommend just walking around and finding something. If she wants specific recomendations, I like Sushi on the Rock & Georges at the Cove, but there are lots of good places in La Jolla.

No trip to San Diego would be complete without a visit to Old Town to sample Mexican food. I know Rockin' Baja Lobster was mentioned. It's good, and they have parking. A MAJOR plus in old town. I believe sdchrger worked there years ago, so you might ask him about the place. There were several Mexican Restaurants of note that are no longer in Old Town. Casa de Pico & Casa de Bandini come to mind. I believe one of them opened back up in Grossmont. But my current recomendation in Old Town is Old Town Mexican Cafe. They don't take reservations and there WILL be a huge line, but it's worth the wait. Also, they are very good at getting people seated, so the wait probably won't be as long as it seems just judging by the number of people outside. My recomendation is sign up for a table, then head to the bar and enjoy a margarita with some chips and salsa while you wait. If your sister is adventurous, they have tons of different tequellas to try.

As far as bars and night life, thet really depends on what type of place she is looking for. She is very near Pacific Beach or PB as the locals call it. PB is party central for the early 20 something crowd. The downtown gaslamp district is fun, albeit expensive and a tourist mecca. If you want to post any more specifics of what she's looking for, I'll be glad to help out. This is probably not a good thing, but I can say I've been to probably 85% of the bars in San Diego.

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Mission Blvd is kind of a tourist area with lots of bars, clubs, and restaurants.

LJ is pretty close by and is a must see. I would suggest Alfonso's Mexican Restaurant on Prospect in LJ.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    There is a very good taco shop near her hotel on Garnet. From her hotel go south on Mission to Garnet (that's where all the action will be), then about 4 blocks east on Garnet. Some of my friends that live or lived in PB swear by that place. Personally, I think she'll be alright trying just about any taco shop in the San Diego area. It seems like there's one on every corner.

Cotija Taco Shop
    1092 Garnet Ave
    San Diego, CA 92109-2833

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed, Alfonso's is excellent! :tup:

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Ha ha, she will be with her fiance so watch out!!, he's from Pittsburgh!.

Tks to everybody else for the pointers, by the way Thumper did I read somewhere that u are in Portland, OR?. That is where she is living at the mo. Lemme know if u need any advice for there!!!. :icon_toast:

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Thanks man, travelling with her man, on vacation. They will have a rental car. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, been up here for a few months now. I'd love to hear about any good places to go. I'm always up for checking out a cool watering hole. :tup:

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Cotija's is pretty darn good .. :tup:

Of course, I have only been there at 2am ..

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    even though you're probably right, I still don't like you :icon_evil: :icon_tease:

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Generally TJ isn't my favorite place in Mexico, but there are some hidden gems in that city. I worked on the border for several years and had to go to Mexico a few times a week. I met many locals and still have great friends that live in TJ. When I have gone out with them in TJ I have been to some places that were great, but these were place I don't think many tourists see. If I'm meeting friends that live or grew up in TJ, I love going down there. If not, I ussually would go a little further to Rosarita, Ensenada, or La Bufadora.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    There are some pretty good restaurant down here (in TJ, Rosarito, Puerto Nuevo, Ensenada, et.) where the mexican food is actually mexican (you guys would love the difference), but for the most part TJ's tourist area (Av. RevoluciĆ³n) is for 18 year old who want to party hard, I haven't gone there in maybe 10 years.

21. Electrogasm

Electrogasm BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Let's start with the important things first...

The perfect pint can be found at The Field, an 'authentic' Irish pub in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego's answer to Temple Bar. The Field pours a brilliant pint and is annually voted as the best pub in town. There is also a pub called Dublin Square but it doesn't have the proper din, in my opinion.

As for the Gaslamp Quarter, it's like Temple Bar in every aspect except two - the variety of restaurants/pubs and the size. I would say that the Gaslamp Quarter is about 16-20 square blocks of organized chaos, reverie and eye-popping sights. A must see for any visitor. A trip to the 40th Floor of the Hyatt hotel at sunset for a drink in the Top Of The Hyatt restaurant is well worth the effort. It offers the best view of downtown, Coronado, Mexico and San Diego Bay.

Other fun can be had at Pacific & Mission Beach(es) during the day and night. A younger, crazier crowd lurks in this area and the obligatory beach sights are readily available. Unfortunately, we've been having weather that's more suited for Malahide than San Diego. I think the sun makes its return next weekend, though. The temperature of the Pacific should be about 16C . Chilly, but that's what we live with.

La Jolla should be on her list though going during a weekend is maddening as it gets rather busy. But it's 'downtown' Cove area is beautiful place where ocean meets land. Its residents possess a certain air of superiority but who can blame them? A trip to the top of the hill - Mount Soledad - offers a breathtaking view in all directions. While she's there, she might as well head to the Glider Port to stand hundreds of feet above the ocean - Black's Beach - and feel the power and beauty of the Pacific. This would be, and I apologize for comparing this, Southern California's mini Moher, if you will.

As was mentioned, some of the finest places to eat are not always the finest places. With any visitor, eating a fish taco should be required by law. And contrary to what one would think, the Mexican food is better in the US than in Mexico. Old Town works, as does many other places throughout California. An In-N-Out hamburger should be considered as well. And have her buy a t-shirt for $8. It will initiate conversation all over the world for as long as she wears it.

Los Angeles/Hollywood is just an hour and a half up the freeway. Most of the sights will satisfy her curiosity for places seen on TV, but there's a reason that we live in San Diego and not LA.

Las Vegas is, at the most, a 5-hour drive across Martian landscapes and is the single greatest oddity in the known world.

Mexico...? I wouldn't. In fact, short of wagering on American Football, I see no reason whatsoever to go to Mexico. Above all, it's not the safest place to go. Secondly, it's not the safest place to go.

There are beaches, mountains, deserts, vineyards and plenty of man-made attractions - all within an hour's drive. She will never be at a loss for something to do. Unless she wants to, of course.

Slainte!

~Muldoon~

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Mexico's great if you by-pass TJ. TJ is like the Oakland of Mexico. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Ever been to Gordos?

Do you know where La Jolla Camp is?

:tup:

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Rockin' Baja* sucks. For better baja style lobster, go to Ortega's in Hillcrest (it's on University Ave). Absolutely the best place to go without driving to Puerto Nuevo and it very reasonably prices, you get much better bang for your buck there than that friggin' joke of an overcrowded place RBL.

For authentic mexican food, send her to Tacos El Gordo. They are all over the place, the one I usually go to is in Chula Vista off the 5 on H Street. As with Ortega's, second best thing than going over the border to grub.

I agree w/ Ant, Jasmine is great. It's dim sum, and if you don't know what that means, it means they bring the food around in small covered steam plates of baskets on these little carts from table to table and you pick and choose what you want from each cart. It's an awesoem way to sample a lot of different dishes without ordering all this massive amount of food, but like Ant said, it gets pricey the more you grab. I go there w/ my wife and daughter, typical meal runs us about 40-50 bucks.

*before anyone gets in my ***, I hate RBL. They completely ruined my wife and my wedding rehearsal dinner. I won't get into it, but they have absolutely the rudest staff I have ever encountered and possible the dumbest at that. They are overpriced, watered down drinks, and overpriced food as well, plus theres usually about 8.3 million people waiting to eat there. If you must go, go to the one on Bonita Rd. in Bonita.

25. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Hey I work there! Just playin.

I think there was a thread on the best taco shop somewhere here, and I agree about Tacos El Gordo. But you still can't beat Tijuana tacos. Is there anywhere in this city that does authentic Adobada (Al Pastor) tacos? And I hear Dim Sum is a great restaurant experience too. Im supposed to go this month to one in Clairemont I think.

26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    yes & yes :tup:

How ya doing Mark?

27. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    I love mexico. I recently took a guy from work that we just hired in the UK. He was here for 2 weeks, so we walked over. They have really cleaned it up. We went on a sat around noon, walked around for 2 - 3 hours, and walked back. It was the fastest crossing back I have ever done on a weekend day. 15 min's. They looked at his passport, scanned it and sent him on his way. It was easy, and really worth it. Here are a few pic's
    Traffic coming into the US in cars.

[​IMG]
    revolution ave

[​IMG]

the only reason to go to tj
    [​IMG]

28. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    I lied, this is the real reason to go to TJ:

taco shop 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

taco shop 2, everyone should know where this one is.

[​IMG]

taco shop # 3

[​IMG]

Just have your sis walk until she finds this, then turns left up revolution, its easy to find, they opened up a bunch of shops, they had indians dancing in native wear I guess.
    [​IMG]

29. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, mostly what I was talking about were some very good restaurants in TJ, further east than revolution, in the Zona Rio. I just talked to my friend Joe in TJ, and he said he'll be on here to post some out of the way, off the tourist path, cool places to go in TJ.

On a totally different note. I know there are some kayak fishing people on here. Joe just caught his biggest yellowtail ever recently. A 46 pounder. Not to shabby. :tup:

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I would not advise going to tijuana its not a good place to go

Btw Jasmine has good sit down and actual eat chinese food besides dim sum but it's also expensive.

As for RTL and RBL its a pretty good restaurant, went there a bunch because its near my law school, and i've never had a bad experience but that's me