1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sit LT? A new look

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok, we have people talking about sitting LT. Why? Because LT cant cut, he cant run. yada yada yada.

We have exactly 11 yards less rushing yards right now than we had at this point last season. It is not that LT cant run, it is that the OL and the team making slow starts. 11. Not 100, not 200.

Rivers is further along right now than he was last season. Last season LT ended up having a decent year. The Chargers turned the corner.

So anyone who is ready to sit LT, you might want to look at recent history.

So anyone claiming we need to sit LT, should consider the fact that last season he had almost the same yardage on a good toe. The Chargers will get the running game on track, the D will get going...

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Please lets this happen this week.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But he sat out in the playoffs!!!

No, I am NOT trying to take away his credibility.
    I just realize that as great as he is... he's human!!!
    We're not even half way through this season!!!
    We NEED a healthy LT!!!!

GET A WIG SO YOU CAN THINK!!!! :trout:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm sure he would have sat in the regular season as well had he had the knee injury he sustained against the Colts in the divisional round.

I don't see what that has to do with Conc's point.

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Probably cause he got hurt in the playoffs.....Are you bald? You sure you dont need the wig? :icon_tease:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    "So anyone claiming we need to sit LT, should consider the fact that last season he had almost the same yardage on a good toe."

Now he has a bad toe and it's not even mid season. It might not last.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

BOTTOM LINE... I don't want him to have to sit out the playoffs again!!!

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We have to get there first.

It's simple for me. If LT needs rest to get healthy, sit him. I've never heard of turf toe healing by continuing to run on it. :no:

The OL needs work, no doubt about. But right now, I think running back by committee is our best option.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thank You!!!

Read this people... you might learn something!!!

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Or they might be like you and ignore everything presented.

Fact: It is not LT's toe that is slowing him down.

1) The OL has been together in whole 1 game so far. They have not built up the continuity. Some people are b!tching about LT running into linemen. If you watch the film those same linemen are being blocked backwards into LT.

2) LT's YPC is getting better each and every game. Just as it did last season. Are we now to think that all this time when coaches and LT is saying it is not the toe slowing him down, that we are smarter than the average bear and know better?

Last season the running game started slow, it got better. It will this season as well. So all you pining, moaning and crying about sitting LT. The same people who pined, moaned and cried about him sitting in the AFC Championship game need to take a break.

The season is not over, and LT is not washed up as some people are trying to suggest.

Also Alan, you wig comment is getting old and is quite stupid. If that is the best you have in response to my posts, do yourself a favor and don't hit the reply button. It shows the lack of imagination and depth of thought you have...:yes:

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Agreed.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Your opinion, you're entitled to it; so far, Conc's point is valid, IMHO.

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    My concern is that the old LT would have a legitimate 4-5 ypc average. Noe he is down to 2-3 ypc. Against Oak if you look at the numbers and you would say he had a good game but take away the 41 yard carry and he goes from 5 ypc to 3 ypc. The other area of concern is when LT can't buy a yard, they'll spell him with Sproles (same OL) and he is able to break off 5,6,7 yard carries My question is, why such a difference with 2 runners with close to the same style?:icon_shrug:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Is Sproles playing a full game? You are judging Sproles off of a few carries here and there. Miami was pretty good at stuffing Sproles at the LOS.

Fact is when Sproles is in there the D doesnt know who the play is going to. After 3 or 4 plays they start limiting his yardage.

At this point last season people were screaming to bench LT because he was washed up. Norv didnt and it turned out pretty dam good.

I am saying all the people riding the bench LT wagon should sit back and see if it changes. He historically over the past 2 years has been a slow starter.

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Word. Also, Norv had made the running game an orphan. At times used successfully but forgotten for long stretches. How does LT get stronger as he goes if he's not allowed to go in the first place?

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sure the facts support that. The Chargers have had a farily ballanced offensive attack thus far. Last I checked we were nearly 50/50 on pass vs run.

Do you got a link to something else?

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    a.) I am aware that the OL is not helping him out but I don't believe for one second that his toe is not nagging. And like I keep saying "this is only week 6 and we need him healthy for the playoffs."

b.) I never complained about him sitting out of the AFC Championship. You'll have to talk to someone else about that.

c.) I don't think he's washed up and I never said that. He just needs to get healthy.

Is the wig comment upsetting you?
    Sorry. I'm just giving you a hard time. Some people in here still call me "hippie." Sure as Hell isn't me. I'm too clean and conservative for that but it doesn't bother me.

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Discussing the Chargers on Showtime's “Inside the NFL,” Cris Collinsworth said there's “no question” Tomlinson is hurt, and he added: “I think to some extent his pride is keeping him on the field, which is ridiculous. . . . He got embarrassed last year in the playoff game. Everyone sort of picked on him because he didn't go out and play because his knee hurt. Now he's out there playing hurt, and I think he's hurting the football team. Right now Darren Sproles is the best running back on the San Diego Chargers. It's up to Norv Turner to make the tough calls on superstar players, get him out of the lineup, get him healthy again and play Darren Sproles.”

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Maybe so. LT keeps saying it is getting better. I feel we are a better team with him in there than not.

I am just pointing out that his YPC isnt very different from last season at this time.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's what I've been saying all along... "Norv is going to have to sit LT. LT will not take a seat unless he can't even sprint. That is the LT that we ALL know and love but it's only week 6. he needs to get healthy."

"Oh... LT also needs not to worry about what people might say. His teammates got his back and so do Chargers fans. That's ALL that matters!!!" :yes:

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think it's much simpler than all that. Our offensive and defensive lines need to play better. The O-line blocks better and watch how fast people forget about LT's toe as he lays 130 on them each game. The D-line gets QB pressure and watch how fast our "dead last" secondary becomes a world beater. Football is a pretty simple game that way.