1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sit Rivers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Harley, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    it won't happen but it should.
    remember what happened at our last meaningless game against the donks...this time we don't have a star in waiting on the sidelines.

2. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Rivers has greater survival instincts, look how he tosses the ball to the ground on penalty plays so defenders not hearing the whistle don't hit him.

Drew instinctively took an unnecessary risk, but the good lord made lemonade outa that lemon.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    lol it doesn't matter what rivers has. If a 300lb linemen sits on him then he'll have a injury. Sit the man period.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I would prefer the better draft pick.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You got it Harley. There is nothing to gain by playing him. Plus, I believe Volek is going to be a free agent. It would be nice to see if he's worth re-signing.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So AJ can waste it on a guy like Cro, English, Buster, Cason or Mathews? I don't want Rivers playing, but it has nothing to do with the draft pick because AJ will blow it anyways

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Start Naanee...

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not gonna happen and Norv and AJ need him to help save face at 9-7. Then they they don't have to change anything and can say we just missed!

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    How does 9-7 save face?

And how is it "just missed" but 8-8 isn't?

Anybody who falls for that line of bull is an idiot. And if they're going to try to finish 9-7 because they think people will they're idiots.

That's not to say they're idiots if they try to win the game, they're just idiots if that's the reason they don't sit starters. (Which we'll never have any real way of knowing)

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because then they can use the BS line "Norv Turner is a great coach. He has had a winning record every season with the Chargers"

We all know it is a crock but some morons will buy into it

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I vote yes. Risk Volek's health, not PR's.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well, since Deano stated today that everyone's staying put... Rivers will likely sit. And that'll kill my FFL Championship chances. F**K YOU DEAN.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Maybe someone should ask Rivers what he thinks. Enjoy.

December 27 2010 Last updated at 06:49 PM ET
    Philip Rivers Won't Sit Out Finale, Disputes 'Meaningless Game' TagBy Tom Krasovic
    NFL Writer | Follow on Twitter: @tomkrasovic

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers are the biggest flop in the AFC, losers of five games to teams that still have losing records, and out of the playoffs for the first time since 2005.
    But don't tell quarterback Philip Rivers, or coach Norv Turner, that Sunday's contest in Denver is meaningless.
    "The phrase, 'Game doesn't mean anything' bothers me more than anything, because it means something to play in this league and play this game," Rivers said on Monday.
    "I've never been involved in a meaningless game," Turner said, and won't Raiders and Redskins fans get a belly-laugh out of that one.
    So, Rivers will start in Denver, and Turner will hope that history doesn't claim his franchise player.
    Five years ago, in a meaningless, er, low-interest game against the Broncos, Chargers quarterback Drew Brees suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. The Chargers then, like now, had been eliminated from the playoffs when Brees was stripped of the ball and, while trying to recover it, was landed upon by Broncos safety John Lynch.
    "That was a crazy play on a wet, rainy day," said Rivers, who was Brees' caddie then. "To Drew's credit, he's recovered and obviously done quite well."
    Chatty Phil said a "pick-up basketball game" would rev his engines. The Broncos, he added, represent a chance for the Chargers (8-7) to log a winning record and defeat an AFC West rival.
    "We'd all have to tie Philip down and fight him to keep him from going out there and playing," Turner said. "It's an important game to him. He's had an unbelievable season. The guy is one of the great competitors you're ever going to be around."
    Turner said he'll talk more after the season about the team's big flop, which came after Turner said this could be his best Chargers squad of the four.
    "Obviously it is disappointing we haven't won more football games," he said.
    The Chiefs (10-5) became the first AFC West champion other than the Chargers in five years. When asked about the Chiefs on Monday, Turner singled out veteran running back Thomas Jones as a difference-maker for Kansas City.
    "People underestimate Thomas Jones," he said. "You look at the teams he's been on. He was in Chicago; they went to the Super Bowl. He was with the Jets, and they went to the championship game. He was in Kansas City, and they won the division."

Pointy

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Phil...you play for Norv Turner, you better get used to playing in meaningless games.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ouch

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I doubt wild horses (no pun intended) could keep rivers from starting in a game. I mean dude, a torn ACL didn't stop him. You think any statement by any of his coaches will?

Besides I'm curious as to what he can do with guys on the bubble like Ajirotutu, Washington, Sperry, etc and I'd like to have him help evaluate whether these guys should stick or not

17. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    PR is saying all the right things, but sit down. You had your chance this season to play in "meaningful" games and this one is NOT one of them. Even though the future of the franchise is in the dumps right now, just imagine where it will be if Rivers gets hurt... I am a gambler, but not that big of a gambler.

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    this

19. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    I hope we beat the **** out of the Broncos....I want to put up 50 and shut them out.

If you prefer a better draft pick don't watch. You suck.

You PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

This isn't the ******* pre season!

I much prefer 9-7 to 8-8.

GO CHARGERS!

BEAT THE BRONCOS!

I will be very pissed off if we lose.

20. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    YAY!!! We beat the broncos!! I could care less. This organization isn't committed to anything but raking in the money. Winning is something they like to do once in a blue moon. But...........GO CHARGERS GO!!!!!

21. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    What team do you root for?

1) you don't care if the team wins
    2) you attack the character of the team, they don't want to win and just want money
    3) you say the team hardly wins, you think they stink

So the Chargers, suck, they are evil, and you don't give a crap if they win.

You like Stanford or losing ex-Chargers QB's and are a sarcastic fan of our playoff goat of 04 and 09.

Loser.

I hope the Broncos and Raiders get the #1 draft pick every year!

22. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I was laughing at your statement of beating the broncos being accomplishment. Its fans like you that I hate the most. You settle for second place. I have certain criteria for this team and that is winning a SB and beating the broncos is not. Are my statements of the team not caring to win false? They give a extension to a head coach after a horrible playoff defeat. That tells me losing is o.k with us. We don't fire Norv after a complete collapse of a season with a team like this? Real orgnizations that care about winning don't stand for mediocrity which you sir are. I'm a fan that wants the chargers to be a great organization so I am telling it like it is. Maybe one day Spanos and co. will listen and will put a winner on the field. Until then I keep telling it like it is.

23. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    The game means nothing. Sitting Rivers would be the smart thing to do. What happens if he sustains an injury that carries over to next year, or even worse? Protect our franchise QB. I would also prefer a better draft pick.

24. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    What will happen is he'll get the axe and be shipped off to some remote team. It happen after '05 and if Rivers get injured (I hope not) then he'll get the same thing. Cowboys or Vikings would be the teams that come to mind. Reasons why I think we should sit Rivers.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    See... told ya' we should've drafted Tebow.

26. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Well hater, I love you......

I settle for nothing. I want to win not lose...sorry if you can't comprehend that I am a fan who likes my team to win.

I didn't say it's an accomplishment. I like 9-7 more than 8-8. I want to win not lose. I HATE losing to the ******* Broncos. I like to BEAT THE **** OUT OF THEM.

If your only criteria is winning a Supebowl you are a **** fan....jump on the Pats, Cowboys, or Steelers message boards because those teams have won superbowls...this one hasn't. We want to win the Superbowl, but **** man we love our team and they have never won one so what the ****?

Sitting Rivers would be the ultimate Bithc move that tells the league we are a bunch of pussies! **** THAT!

Rivers is a man, not a ucking China doll!

Good thing the Steelers fired Cowher after all the playoff losses and years not making it, or Tomlin after the Steelers disaster last year. Good thing the Colts fired Dungy's ***...Chiefs did great to fire Marty too.

My point is simply is that this was on Shittastic year.....ONE. How you going to fire them after ONE bad year. Yeah 2008 was mostly bad, but the facts show this is the best this team has done EVER over a sustained period of time....To me, until I see FAILURE, I say stay the course. ONE bad year is one bad year.....this year was a FAIL, but you have to be good and consistent to win a title I think. Knee jerk reactions and constantly firing guys and turning things over are things you do when suck....we haven't sucked. You have to not suck to win a Championship. If I see these guys failing to turn things around when they go bad, then I start looking to see if another direction is where I need to go. If 2008 is a fail, they turned it around in 2009. I think you see what happens in 11 before anything. And yes every non Championship season is a fail on some level, but **** we are fans of failure and going through the coaching carousel ensures suckiness....you have to gives guys a chance...Ross should not have been fired even though he didn't win a title.....Ownership and GM screwed Coryell....took his players away, and Gillman I don't even know what to speculate.... I digress.

• Like Like x 1
  27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Start Volek or forfeit.

I'd rather have the 15th pick at 8-8 than the 20th at 9-7.

And it looks worse on Norv's resume if he fails to go better than .500 2 of the last 3 years.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No offense but if you were the coach or GM you'd be fired the minute those words left your mouth and be blackballed throughout the league

Not to sound too corny but you fight to win every game. That's what any competitor does. Rivers would never take a dive.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well its not something you say to your boss :lol:, but its something we all know. This franchise gains nothing by winning this meaningless game.

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Prediction: If Rivers loses to Tebow... Tebow loses his virginity.