1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Six NFL playoff teams that might not make it back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Sporting News.com

When picking the teams that will make the playoffs in a given year, the so-called experts (as opposed to the so-called idiots, of which I proudly am one) typically play it safe.

They look at the dozen franchises that made it a year ago, and they replace maybe the bottom team in each conference's playoff field with a team that was close to qualifying.

But the reality is that, typically, half of the teams that played in the postseason last year won't be back the next time around.
    In 2008, more than half of the 2007 playoff teams didn't return for an encore.

Seven of the 12 franchises didn't qualify again. In the AFC, only two of the six from the year before were bounced; in the NFC, the turnover rate was 83.3 percent as five of the six teams that qualified in 2007 were left holding a big bag of nothing in '08.

For present purposes, we'll assume that six of the teams will make it back and six won't.

Today's challenge? Identifying the six teams that will play only 16 games that count this season.

3. San Diego Chargers

Last year, the San Diego Chargers needed a miracle to capture the watered-down AFC West and make it to the playoffs.

This year, lightning might not strike again.

On paper, the Chargers have the talent. But questions persist regarding whether Norv Turner is the right man for this or any NFL head-coaching job.

So even with Philip Rivers(notes), LaDainian Tomlinson(notes), Darren Sproles(notes) and a healthy Shawne Merriman(notes) and a healthy Jyles Tucker(notes) and a rookie first-rounder who does the same thing that both of them do, it might not be enough to make it four straight division titles in a wide-open AFC West featuring teams in Kansas City and Oakland that might be more dangerous than expected. (We can forget about the Broncos.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sixnflplayoffteamsthatmi&prov=tsn&type=lgns

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    This article is hilarious!

The author must have done ALL of his research for this piece merely by looking at the final standings.

Last season a beat-up, snake-bit team barely won the division. Unless we suffer a bunch of injuries and are equally snake-bit, there is NO WAY IN HELL the Chargers do not win this division again this year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Do these guys get paid by how many responses they get to their dribble?

I'm not even going to touch our Bolts. His take is just stupid

But, the Giants and Minny would have to have a complete collapse to miss the playoffs

I could see Tenn taking a step back.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just one more fool for our boys to prove wrong next season :yes: put it on the board!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    "featuring teams in Kansas City and Oakland that might be more dangerous than expected."

More dangerous than a 2-14 team and a 5-11 team. So either of those teams will get at least 8 wins?

Will 8 wins be enough to clinch the AFC West this season? My bet is "yes." Cause I don't see the Donks, Retards, or Quiefs reaching .500.

• Like Like x 1
  6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I thin whoever wrote this piece (of ****) has too much time, and not enough topics ao he googled every article regarding the afc west, and decided to write the only unwritten hypothesis on ink.

What a waste of cyberspace it turned out to be. When he started naming a few players on this team, he was convincing me much more of why we Will win the west.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The article doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that there are people out there who will read it and say "Yeah, that makes perfect sense". We should find those people and kill them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It's amazing how some of these "experts" actually make a living writing this kind of drivel. If you're going to have an opinion...fine....If you're going to have an opinion that goes against the norm...again fine and even encouraged....but at least back your opinion / argument with some reasonable basis.

We could lose the AFCW...sure....anything can happen...but for another AFCW team to come take the crown, a lot of things have to happen.

1. We have to be as bad or worse than we were last year. For that to happen IMO we would need to be ravaged by injuries again (knock on wood). All of the AFCW teams have tough schedules...We are the only team that has proven it can play with the big boys and has some actual playoff experience....oh, and the Chargers have beat the S%$#T out of the rest of the AFCW for 3 years now with an aggregate 15-3 record since the beginning of 2006 against division rivals.

2. The Chargers are the only team in the AFCW with some semblance of consistency...For the most part, there have been recent big changes with the other AFCW teams....Coaching with the Raiders / Young roster. Complete roster / coaching overhaul of the Chiefs. Complete roster / coaching overhaul of the Donks. The Chargers have won the division 3 years in a row and have played in 6 playoff games over that time. Either the Chiefs, Broncos, or Raiders would need to gel and at least be on the Chargers' level right away to have a chance this year. Oddly enough, the Raiders may be in the best position to be competitive based on the fact that they at least have the same starting QB from a year ago.

3. Chargers- 3 years of same roster + returning key vets and signifcantly more proven talent and big game experience than any of the other divisional teams. Basically, the all of the stars need to align for either the Chiefs, Raiders, or Broncos to turn into a playoff contender overnight. One of those teams would need to have at least two or 3 new pro-bowl caliber playmakers emerge from their roster to push their teams to a new level. I just don't see it happening.

But I guess because Norv Turner is our coach, that outweighs every other advantage we have.:eyepoke:

• Like Like x 3
  9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    rep

:tup:

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    To the author - I'm sorry but you lack the mental capacity to form a complete thought based on sound evidence. You should get a job at ESPN!

11. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Mike Florio wrote it. He's a douche.

12. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Good point, its like, we know what the inevidable is in the afc west, but if we were all raider fans would we read this and inject our veins with the possibility that our season is going to amount to more than a good draft pick? Are people really that stupid? I mean when we sucked (as I'm sure many of you did the same) I pretty much knew we were gonna suck. Sure I told people it was our year every year, but unbaised I knew other rosters were built to f us in the a.

As another offseason trickles by like al davis at the urenal, we should kill some time trying to find anyone other than bronco fans using this article as theor small ray of hope, gotta be some douche out there using this article as some form of forum motivation, first one to find it gets all my boltbucks.

13. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Forgive the typos my pc is still down, and my blackberry has shown me why its deserved its crackberry nick.

Big thumbs small keys, sure a lot of us are use to that scenario.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Be Darwin's Angel

and i think this is just more proof that the media hates the bolts and doesn't want them in the playoffs. For one you'd have to be blind stupid or a homer to think that KC/Oakland are BETTER then they were last year. Whatever, guess we gotta keep smacking them around

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That pretty much sums it up. In the beginning, the talk around here was "so easy, a caveman can do it." Well that still stands true for clinching the AFCW.
    I think the Retards could have Bill Parcells and the Quiefs could have Vince Lombardi (when they were in their primes)... they still wouldn't finish ahead of the Chargers.