1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Skeletor chimes in on Hochuli

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Sep 20, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/19/...st-hochuli-tells-him-to-keep-that-whist/#cont

Jerrah Continues to Blast Hochuli, Tells Him to 'Keep That Whistle Out Your Mouth'

I think we've all found it in our heart to forgive Ed Hochuli for what happened in Denver last Sunday, and are ready to get on with the rest of the NFL season. Sure, he may have cost the Chargers a shot at the playoffs, but we can give the guy points for contrition. Right, Jerry Jones?

The Cowboys owner took some not-so-subtle shots at Hochuli earlier in the week, and then, during a local radio appearance this morning, Jones was even less not-so-subtle.
    "Rest assured, we all see the error and the impact of a bad call like that," Jerry said. "Now, you could easily say that it rests in the competence of the official not to blow that whistle and maybe an emphasis on that would dramatically change just a real awareness and be punitive in some areas.

"You know, that guy is quick to call penalties. He's quick to draw. He's known for that. ... He's very quick. His crews call a lot of penalties. Maybe the answer is to tell people like that, 'Keep that whistle out your mouth.'"

Got that, Ed: keep that whistle out of your mouth. Jerrah's not known for his eloquence, but he might be onto something. Doug Farrar, writing for the Washington Post's Smarter Stats, points out that Hochuli's crew called 58 false starts last year to lead the NFL (Gerry Austin's crew, by comparison, only called 26).

Jerrah's solution: getting rid of whistle-happy refs and replacing them with guys who will make sure the Cowboys win a freaking playoff game. Sort of:

"My gut here is the emphasis is going to have to be taking officials like that and getting somebody else if they're going to be penalty prone," Jerry said. "Or, in that case, not penalties, but just too quick to call the play dead."
    PFT writes that the NFL can fine NFL personnel, but only if there is a "suggestion that the official has motives that are less than proper." I don't think Jones has crossed that line, but he seems to love taking every opportunity to point out that Hochuli, in his mind, at least, is incompetent.

Pseudo-celebrity boxing is obviously the only way we're ever going to get resolution here. Mike Pereira and Roger Goodell really need to make this happen.

2. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

...What Jerry Jones has REALLY emphasized is that a penalty flag should primarily be thrown on plays that actually effect the play or help protect a player from injury. I DO HATE whistle happy crews who seem to enjoy the spotlight though. If everyone is brutally honest, a holding penalty could be called on nearly every down. They aren't because that would be ridiculous. I don't hold much merit in what he says personally because he's just an egotistical, selfish...Texas is bigger and better than everyone else SOB!

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I haven't......:no:

• Like Like x 1
  4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I've forgiven the guy. I expect more out of him since he's touted as one of the best refs in the business, but he's still human. Maybe this will teach him to be a little slower on the whistle. It's just really unfortunate that he had to learn the lesson while refing my team. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We were at the ASU Georgia game tonight and after a bad call the fans started chanting Hochuli, Hochuli, Hochuli.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    yeah im still bothered by it, just because the game was right there for us and his whistle happy @$$ pulled it away.

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Well I will tell ya this. All we have to do is win out, then who cares about that game. It still hurts and I dont know if forgiven is the right word, but lets say I have found a place in my heart to move on!

Chargers 34 vs Brett's- 14

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    At least you're understanding pure-sol. He's a great ref, but committed a MAJOR F-Up at the wrong time. I've moved on and we're 0-2, but I won't forget those bone headed mistakes he made that fateful day. Hopefully, we'll be vindicated someday....

10. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I hate it when Raider fans whine about the Tuck Rule game, so I'll move on and try not to be a hypocrite. I do want to say the two calls are not similar though. In the Tuck Rule game the refs actually got the call right; contrary to popular opinion they made the right call. The problem was in the rule, which is actually still in effect. The Hochuli game is completely different; the ref blew the call, which he readily admits. Not that it makes any difference in the end, but the Chargers truly were victimized by a bad call; the Raiders were not.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Tell it

:tup::tup::tup: