1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Slauson is channeling Dielman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Slauson brings some Dielman to Chargers
    Kevin Acee

Matt Slauson is how it’s done. Matt Slauson is what needs to be done.

He’s a regular Joe. He’s a journeyman. And he should be one of your favorite Chargers.

This team and its fans need more heroes, and a guard playing center has provided them with one.

Slauson’s vigilantism on Sunday, pulling New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan off quarterback Philip Rivers after a play, was pretty close to the most awesome thing we’ve seen on the field so far in this wretched Chargers season.

“I was really pissed we gave up a sack,” Slauson said, describing his thought process. “I mean, really pissed. I’ve got that anger there, and as I’m walking over there to make sure (Rivers) is OK, and I saw some things happening there I didn’t like. I felt that was unnecessary, and it was putting a dear friend of mine in a position I didn’t like. … I knew I was getting a (penalty) the entire way. I had to get him off Phil. I just had to.”

Hallelujah.

As 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalties go, it was brilliant.

Slauson was signed in May after being released by the Chicago Bears, drove his big diesel truck across the country to San Diego and stepped out of a time machine.

In the midst of all the frailty, on a team searching for leaders, the Chargers found a virtual clone of one of the roughest, toughest, strongest, angriest, fiercest, most loyal players in franchise history.

He’s the best kind of influence, a guy who makes teammates raise their level of play because they’re scared not to and because he shows, as he did Sunday, an uncommon passion.

Alas, given a chance to publicly praise Slauson in his Monday press briefing, McCoy fumbled the opportunity. More importantly, McCoy didn’t show the play to the team this week and say something like, “That’s the way it’s done!”

That omission is indicative of a problem with how this team is run these days.

“We have a lot of things to get figured out right now,” Slauson said when the lack of recognition was broached with him. “Being 1-3, there are a lot of things we are trying to work at and improve at. So I’m OK with focusing on those other areas to try to grow and get better.”

Fair enough.

But it is true, too, that the way Slauson plays highlights a competitive insolence deficient on this roster and harkens to a day of better Chargers football.

That is not coincidence.

Slauson, signed in May after spending the first four years of his career with the New York Jets and then the past three with the Bears, repeatedly refers to former teammates Alan Faneca and Logan Mankins as mentors.

“Those guys played with a certain tenacity,” he said.

But it was Kris Dielman’s number he chose to wear.

“Early in my career I watched play after play of Kris Dielman,” said Slauson, almost exclusively a guard his first seven seasons but starting at center for the Chargers. “If I’m going to be like anybody, I’m going to be like that. So I picked number 68 because of him, and I tried to model my game after him. Who better to be than that?”

Let’s be clear about the fact there is just one Dielman, who started 97 games at left guard for the Chargers from 2005 through the sixth game of 2011. (He retired following the 2011 season due to the effects of a serious concussion.) Dielman’s shoulders were made of steel. His hands were rocks. His stare melted iron. He was also Pro Bowler every year from 2007 through ’10.

However, it is uncanny to see a beefy “68” shuffling around in front of Rivers these days, playing through every whistle, looking like he’s ready to fight whoever would be crazy enough to take him on between plays.

“It’s fun to watch him play,” Dielman said this week, a day before meeting Slauson in person for the first time. “… You need someone like that, always ready to roll.”

Remember last year when Von Miller drove Rivers into the ground after a pass and Rivers got in Miller’s face while the Chargers’ offensive linemen watched? It was embarrassing.

“I was so pissed,” Dielman recalled. “I almost threw my remote at my TV. I wanted to go down there and take care of it myself if no one else was.”

This past Sunday, Dielman was thrilled by what he saw.

“I’m so happy to see someone sticking up for Phil,” Dielman said. “That’s what everyone should be doing. There should be five O-linemen being pulled off that guy.”

Slauson is working on it.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I loved it when that happened. When I saw it, I was saying that I'd take that penalty all day long. An O-lineman should ALWAYS backup his quarterback!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Agreed, it's just frustrating as hell to have to take a penalty,
    for correcting bad behavior that the refs are allowing the D to get away with...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Hopefully, Slauson can get the rest of the linemen on the same page and adopting the same attitude! I'm so glad we picked him up in the off-season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Slauson is the man! The Saints defender was breaking Phil's neck stupid refs don't see anything. He shouldn't have gotten a penalty.